Maraca cabocla. The new species in the hobby.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Female finally molted today. Took her 7 days to turn from black booty to new body. She was 3.5" LS from molt measurement. I wanted to document the spermathecae here for future reference.

Female Spermathecae. Notice its a dark reddish color. This should be a dead giveaway.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice pics. Spermathecae has a neat shape to it.

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea,these days no matter what anyone says,you can almost bet that someone else already has something,somewhere,or is working on getting it....Just like the new T's that KenthebugGuy is trying to sell that look EXACTLY like a C.fasciatum....I would be willing to bet that somewhere someone already has one and thinks it's C.fasciatum....Who knows,this hobby is just confusing sometimes....But cool T's nonetheless Talon....
BrettG, you are quite right about the Schizopelma sp, however, won;t it be sad when mating to a C. fasciatum is attempted? That T will be most likely lost.
They look similar, but are not the same, and locality is a big difference, specially with this sp.

Nice Maraca btw :)

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
BrettG, you are quite right about the Schizopelma sp, however, won;t it be sad when mating to a C. fasciatum is attempted? That T will be most likely lost.
They look similar, but are not the same, and locality is a big difference, specially with this sp.

Nice Maraca btw :)
Yah I am pretty sure a Fasciatum attmept with this one will not work as they are not even the same genus

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Had to show this. Wow I love the jet black legs and abdomen. This is Post molt 24hrs so maybe the carapace color is not fully there yet:? Looks a little light orange. I like the eye cluster. Looks like it has 4 the same size and the rest small.

Either way she is gorgeous. That carapace really contrasts against the rest of the body. The carapace color does not bleed into the legs.

Last edited:

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man. Between the eye cluster, leg shape, and spikes, this is one very 'truish' looking tarantula. It looks very funnel webbish to me. Anyone else think so? Cool t either way!

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Maraca cabocla female today. Here carapace actually started to darken when she started to feed. :? you can't see in in this picture but she has a bronze sheen on her abdomen. Its actually kinda shiney. She always covers her eyes. I can never get a shot with her outstretched fully.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Large Female Molted. She regenerated her 2 missing legs. They are almost full size amazingly.

Last edited:

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maraca cabocla was sold as Holothele sp. "Guyana" before it was identified.
Hmmm I definitely see the resemblance to the Holothele genus. Kind of looks similar to Holothele sp. Norte de Sander, but the abdomen has a unique tinge to it. Cool stuff.

Oh and Steve, I can view all your other pictures on this thread except this most recent one. Not sure if it's you or me, but if it's you , I'd certainly like to see this new molt.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Hmmm I definitely see the resemblance to the Holothele genus. Kind of looks similar to Holothele sp. Norte de Sander, but the abdomen has a unique tinge to it. Cool stuff.
Putting aside the current status of the genus Holothele, the resemblance you may see is but superficial - they are in different subfamilies. I don't know who initially "identified" them as Holothele, but they have a few more things to learn. :)

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah. I would imagine maybe a dealer of some sort made the mistake initially. Or the exporter? I don't know. Whoever it was, apparently they're not really paying attention to the finite details that make it a "Maraca".

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Oh and Steve, I can view all your other pictures on this thread except this most recent one. Not sure if it's you or me, but if it's you , I'd certainly like to see this new molt.
I fixed the link. You can now see her pic. As for it being a Holothele, it definately is not. The main difference is the fact that Holothele is an Old World species which lack utricating hairs and the Maraca is New world and has plenty of Utricating hairs. This one does not make webs either. Definately more terrestrial.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
The main difference is the fact that Holothele is an Old World species which lack utricating hairs and the Maraca is New world and has plenty of Utricating hairs.
You got the urticating hair part right, but Holothele was still a New World genus last time I checked. You might be confusing it with Heterothele, which is a different genus.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh My GOD they are frikkin gorgeous! I lovelovelove the colours!:drool:

I hope these get established in the hobby, so I can get my fingers on some of these! Those spiky hairs on the backlegs are awesome!

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You got the urticating hair part right, but Holothele was still a New World genus last time I checked. You might be confusing it with Heterothele, which is a different genus.
Thanks for the correction.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh My GOD they are frikkin gorgeous! I lovelovelove the colours!:drool:

I hope these get established in the hobby, so I can get my fingers on some of these! Those spiky hairs on the backlegs are awesome!
They are gorgeous! Everyone that sees them in person thinks thye are really unique! Its the reddish carapace. In certain lights, you can actually see a slight pinkish irredescent sheen.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are gorgeous! Everyone that sees them in person thinks thye are really unique! Its the reddish carapace. In certain lights, you can actually see a slight pinkish irredescent sheen.
I had to update upon this statement. Heres the pinkish irredescent sheen I was talking about. These pictures are of my younger female first than my oldest female second.