Cobalt blue sex?

tnguyen

Arachnopeon
I know the most definitive way to determine is when he or she molts, but I can't wait.

What do you guys think?

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just as I suspected.

Your Haplopelma lividum is a spider.

We need more info dude. How big is its legspan? Can you get a shot of the book lungs?

Also.....can we see a full shot of the setup....I think I see whole bricks of coco fiber in there...

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Going to need a clear photo of the first set of booklungs. It's impossible to tell from that angle unless it was a mature male, which it's not :sarcasm:

tnguyen

Arachnopeon
Just as I suspected.

Your Haplopelma lividum is a spider.

We need more info dude. How big is its legspan? Can you get a shot of the book lungs?

Also.....can we see a full shot of the setup....I think I see whole bricks of coco fiber in there...
Sorry, this was sent to me by a seller. I am going to look at he/she later tonight. It is about 5 months old. I'll know more later. Thanks though.

creepa

Arachnoknight
That lividum is deffinitly not 5 months old..., a 5 month old lividum is brown.

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He/she is about 2 1/2 inches.
But how do you know? This species' males become sexually dimorphic only after the maturing molt.
tnguyen said it's 2 1/2 inches and it equals to nearly 5cm.Yes i know they are dimorphic,and also I've never seen 5cm mature male Haplopelma lividum.

This spider is my male Haplopelma lividum - adult - and it has 3.5cm body length.

That's why i think it's a female.

creepa

Arachnoknight
in the U.S. they messure in legspan and in Europe we messure in body length, so 2.5 inch legspan equals approximately 2.5/3 cm body length...

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
tnguyen said it's 2 1/2 inches and it equals to nearly 5cm.Yes i know they are dimorphic,and also I've never seen 5cm mature male Haplopelma lividum.

This spider is my male Haplopelma lividum - adult - and it has 3.5cm body length.

That's why i think it's a female.
The op is from California.

tnguyen

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the responses guys and gals. I'll try to get a shot of the lungs, I don't have a camera so getting a clear shot with my camera phone is a pain especially these little guys are so fast.

tnguyen

Arachnopeon
Quick update

Ever since I brought her home, she burrowed deep into the substrate and recently webbed up the entrance. I guess she is getting ready to molt. I'll find out if she really is a she in the next coming weeks. Thanks! :biggrin:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Quick update

Ever since I brought her home, she burrowed deep into the substrate and recently webbed up the entrance. I guess she is getting ready to molt. I'll find out if she really is a she in the next coming weeks. Thanks! :biggrin:
If you're lucky. Mine has never brought up a shed ever, and I assume she has just plastered it to the walls of her burrow somewhere.