Sling Dead, larva and pupa found in enclosures.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I recieved a shipment of some T's and a freebie.
I dumped the soil/substrate that came with them in the new enclosures.

I found one of my longterm T's dead ( 1" B. vagans sling ), well just the legs as it had been eaten by the larvae. I looked in other containers and only found the larvae in the containers where the T's came from this one person.
Coincidence? I'll keep watching to make sure.

here are some pics:

larvae are about 2-3mm

resembling very small maggots

Attachments

Last edited:

elephantspider

Arachnopeon
I am so sorry for your loss. That sounds terrible!! You only found the legs of your long tern T? Wow...I don't know what to say. Thats just insane!

Nerri1029

Old Timer
Any advice??

Anyone know what they are?

I have the pupa and will allow them to mature to see.

but I've frozen the substrate of the others, and removed my roach colony just in case.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Woa that's bad! I usually feed my T's maggots, but that's in such cases when I know they are hungry anyway. Please update when you know more, though I guess "it" will hardly replace your T.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haven't seen that one before. I've seen wasp pupa and they are white but that doesn't look like what I've seen. Sorry for your loss and keep the pics coming. This is very interesting and with so little info about this, Thanks for posting.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
That looks allot like a fruit fly larvae...I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Nerri1029

Old Timer
That looks allot like a fruit fly larvae...I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
I'm really hoping the pupa mature.
that will help tremendously.

We do have fruitflies upstairs.. will they eat other insects as larva?

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
how big are the larvae and the pupa?

Never mind, I caught the size after a reread through.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Maybe flick it onto the insect section. Whatever it is, it ain't a tarantula. Maybe one of the bug people there will have a better clue.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
looks like fly larva to me...i don think you guys have phorid flies up there in NY though.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
looks like fly larva to me...i don think you guys have phorid flies up there in NY though.
We have them in Canada. Humans like it warm, where ever humans take shelter you'll have the right conditions for phorid flys.

From what I know, phorid fly larva are white/cream coloured. I would bet my left one that those are not phorid fly larva.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are absolutely Phorid flies. They probably found the spider near death or already dead. We sometime have a bad problem with them in our crickets colonies and spider cages.....here in NY there are lots of Phorids.

Nerri1029

Old Timer
We have them in Canada. Humans like it warm, where ever humans take shelter you'll have the right conditions for phorid flys.

From what I know, phorid fly larva are white/cream coloured. I would bet my left one that those are not phorid fly larva.
careful what you put on the chopping block..

to the naked eye these are indeed white/cream colored.. but under the microscope they end up more transparent.

They found the spider right after a molt.

I'd like to thank those who've helped so far. :clap: :clap:

Especially Varden with the advice on the traps for these.:worship: :worship:

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't think its a parasite, as it looks definitely like a fly maggot to me, and more than likely ate your beloved T while molting or it could have died after molting.

I've had phorid flies to infest recently dead roaches and crickets before, so it wouldn't surprise me they took advantage of a freshly molted tarantula. They're horrid creatures and hard to get rid of, I still haven't managed.

Right now we have a ton of fruit flies around, courtesy of our tomatoes upstairs, but they're kept in check with cider vinegar traps. Down stairs seems to be the realm of phorid flies where they thrive in my roach containers and in my snake tubs on anything they can eat.

So if you would like to share Varden's advice on getting rid of them, I'd love to hear. ;)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, i would also very much like to see that advice. I keep thinking i'm almost rid of them and then a new brood pops up. Where are they coming from?!?!?!

ChainsawMonkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Seems like if you let a dragonfly loose in your house that it would take out mommy and daddy before or after they could do the dirty deed!