Glossary

Ryoga

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had spiders for about 2 and a half years now. Before I got any, I read a lot on how to take care of them, their mannerisms, and so on so I could make an informed choice and care for them well. It's only recently, however, that I've read much on Arachnoboards, and, well, I find that there's a whole lot that I just don't know! Most of the acronyms and terms I've been able to figure out one way or another, but there are some that I still don't have nailed down. So, I thought a glossary would be helpful for me and people like me!

As people reply to this thread with more terminology, I'll try to keep this first post updated with everything in alphabetical order. Thanks for any help you can give! Naturally, if you've run across a term that you don't know, post it here, and I'll add it when someone defines it. :)

Also, any opinions on how technical this should get? Should I try to add jargon terms such as the various body parts, or should this be for more informal/hobbyist terms?

0.0.n: Indicates a number n of unsexed individuals.

0.n.0: Indicates a number n of female individuals.

n.0.0: Indicates a number n of male individuals.

avic: A member of the Avicularia genus.

BL: Body Length.

brachy: A member of the Brachypelma genus.

CB: Captive Bred. Indicates that an individual was hatched in captivity.

CBB: Captive Bred-Born. Indicates that an individual was hatched in captivity to a mother that mated in captivity.

DCF: Dark Color Form, as in "H. albostriatum DCF."

DIY: Do It Yourself.

DLS: Diagonal LegSpan. The distance measured from the tip of leg I to the tip of leg IV on opposite sides of a spider.

GBB: GreenBottle Blue. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

instar: Refers to the stage of life after a number of molts an individual has been through, i.e., a second instar individual is between its second and third molts.

KB: King Baboon. Citharischius crawshayi

LTC: Long-Term Captive. Indicates that an individual is wild-caught, but has been in captivity for a long period of time.

MM: Mature Male.

NW: New World. Indicates that a species is native to the western hemisphere.

OBT: Orange Baboon Tarantula or, jokingly, Orange Bitey Thing. Pterinochilus murinus

OW: Old World. Indicates that a species is native to the eastern hemisphere.

pling: A baby centipede. Contraction of "pedeling."

pokie: A member of the Poecilotheria genus.

RCF: Red Color Form, as in "G. rosea RCF."

sling: A baby spider. Contraction of "spiderling."

T: Tarantula. That one was a toughie, huh? ;)

terra: Terrarium.

WC: Wild caught. Indicates that an individual was removed from its natural habitat to be kept as a pet.

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Instar is the number of molts its been through; 2nd instar means it's gone through 2 molts. Or atleast that's what I think of it.

I remember I made a short list somewhere on here in reply to a similar question, but I'll have to find it.

Here's a few for now:

IMO - In my opinion
IME - In my experience
GBB - Greenbottle Blue - Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Pling - pedeling
0.1.0 - 1 female
1.0.0 - 1 male
0.0.1 - 1 unsexed
KB - King Baboon - Citharischius crawshayi
DIY - Do It Yourself

Last edited:

Ryoga

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool, thanks for the contributions. :) I think I'm going to avoid common internet slang such as IMO or IME and stick to tarantula/invertebrate/whatever is pertinent to our class of hobby, though. I don't want to get too cluttered with stuff that anyone who spends time online will know. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool, thanks for the contributions. :) I think I'm going to avoid common internet slang such as IMO or IME and stick to tarantula/invertebrate/whatever is pertinent to our class of hobby, though. I don't want to get too cluttered with stuff that anyone who spends time online will know. :)
Ah alright, sorry was just sticking stuff in there at the top of my head that I frequently see on the boards. I'm stumped for now, so I'll add to my list as the day goes on.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... instar: Molt? (Someone please answer this one so I can fill it in!) ...
Instar: "The step or stage in an arthropod's life between molts. Or, the animal in question in reference to a particular step or stage between molts."

Thus, "The fourth instar follows the fourth molt and precedes the fifth molt."

And, "The fourth instar [of some animal or species] has six legs instead of eight."

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryoga

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cool, updated "instar." Thanks!

Found DCF, don't know what it means.. See the first post for a link. Anyone who can give me a definition will be appreciated. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Found DCF, don't know what it means.. See the first post for a link. Anyone who can give me a definition will be appreciated. :)
DCF - Dark Color Form

What about these..

BL - "Body length". Used when measuring the body length of tarantulas or scorpions.
DLS - "Diagnol legspan". Used to measure the legspan of a tarantula, from leg I to leg IV on opposite sides.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
a couple more..

CB - Captive bred. A specific animal, in this case a tarantula, being bred and hatched in captivity.
CBB - Captive Bred & Born. Animal hatched in captivity by WC parents.
LTC - Long term captive. A wild caught animal being kept captive for a long period of time.
WC - Wild caught. A specific animal, in this case a tarantula, being collected out of it's natural habitat and placed for sale in the pet trade.

NOTE: I may be mixing up the CB and CBB. I'm a little tired, so I can't think too straight. :wall:

Last edited:

Ryoga

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Added, thanks!

Can anyone clarify CB vs CBB as noted in Novak's post above?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you guys really use that many acronyms?
There was another board member that took the time to write down every possible acronym, it will come to me......... grrrr I can picture him with his arms crossed....... :wall: Ahhh yes shadowblade. He already came up with a long complete list of all this stuff. Where it ended up I am not sure.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Can anyone clarify CB vs CBB as noted in Novak's post above?
CB = Captive born, meaning its the result of an eggsack laid in captivity, possibly by a WC gravid female.

CBB = Captive bred-born, meaning the mother molted in captivity and was then bred to a male, and an eggsack laid. Resulting in CBB spiderlings.

Yes, I compiled a list of terminology and acronyms and submitted it as an article.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Speak of the devil and he shale appear!

So wait what are slings that come from a WC female that was gravid? :confused: WCCB?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was under the impression that CB was reserved only for results from a male and a female producing offspring in captivity. Not a WC female producing slings without being bred.

:wall: I give up I never use those acronyms anyway.

Ryoga

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ah, if you have one, Shadowblade, then maybe I don't need to go to the trouble.. Can you post a link to it? And hopefully it will become an article.. I sometimes get really frustrated when people are throwing around acronyms and terminology that I don't understand, but everyone else seems to...

In the meantime, I'll try to keep this glossary maintained. If it ends up being redundant, then I'll let it go.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah, if you have one, Shadowblade, then maybe I don't need to go to the trouble.. Can you post a link to it? And hopefully it will become an article.. I sometimes get really frustrated when people are throwing around acronyms and terminology that I don't understand, but everyone else seems to...

In the meantime, I'll try to keep this glossary maintained. If it ends up being redundant, then I'll let it go.
Yea Sean(Shadowblade) did have a glossary type thing going. He PMed one time with the whole list to see if there was anything missing that I might be able to add. It was great; it had acronyms, scientific terms, etc. in it. I don't know what happened to it though.. :?

Ryoga

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hmm.. Sounds like a pretty darned awesome resource, exactly like what I was trying to construct. I'd love to have access to it!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm.. Sounds like a pretty darned awesome resource, exactly like what I was trying to construct. I'd love to have access to it!
Looks like Sean already stopped by(post #s 17 and 19), so hopefully he'll stop by once more and see this.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
PM(s) sent bro. Feel free to refer to it whenever you like. I submitted it as an article, just don't know if it will be posted yet or not.

-Sean