Mystery T

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The pet store had this guy labeled as "black birdeater". Does anyone know what species it is? This same store had a nice b. boehmei labeled as a "rosehair" :)

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It does look really similar. I just brought it home and I'm guessing it's a burrower so I gave it some nice deep substrate. The petstore didn't give it enough substrate to dig a burrow. It's very agressive and about 4". I remembered it looked similar to a h. lividum male I had a while ago so I thought it might be a haplopelma something. It's definitely not a mature male though.

It also kind of looks like a Haplopelma albostriatum from pics I've been looking at....

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It does look really similar. I just brought it home and I'm guessing it's a burrower so I gave it some nice deep substrate. The petstore didn't give it enough substrate to dig a burrow. It's very agressive and about 4". I remembered it looked similar to a h. lividum male I had a while ago so I thought it might be a haplopelma something. It's definitely not a mature male though.
Yup, definately not a mature male, but I am pretty sure it is a Haplopelma sp., I don't know if you're gonna get much more then that because Haplopelma is another messed up genus.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
H. Longipes may be correct too : http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/haplopelma-longipes-id247.html

I'd say it's too dark for a H. Minax : http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/english/haplopelma-minax-id182.html

I have never had either T's so I am no authority.

The Haplopelma longipes is a heck of a lot more common than the C. thoreli... It's so hard to tell from just a pic or two !
Yup, I'd definately stick with Haplopelma though..

Actually according to the link you posted about C.thoreli it says C.thoreli/schioedtei, which makes me think it's the same species, and if this is so C.schioedtei is pretty common.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
theres now way u can get a positive id from this picture.it def apears to be a Haplopelma tho.most likely eithor H.vonwirthi,H.longipes or possibly H.minax.its cleary not a Cyriopagopus!when the spider molts u can examine the shed and figure out what u have here.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cool. I'm guessing it's a h. longipes. I found a pic of one with identical markings. I might be able to get a better pic of it if that would help. How can I tell what species it is from the shed?

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That looks just like my Lividum, it even has a blue tinge.

Here's mine -

And this is after a moult -

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The pet store had this guy labeled as "black birdeater". Does anyone know what species it is? This same store had a nice b. boehmei labeled as a "rosehair" :)

i have a T that looks almost identical to this one that i purchased at a reptile show a couple years ago...it was sold to me as a "Chinese Black Earth Tiger" with the scientific name Haplopelma schmidti...i don't know if it's the same spider because as it's been pointed out already Haplopelma is a strange genus but she really does look alot like that...pity i can't see her chilicerae in this pic because my girl has some very conspicuous white hairs almost like a moustache on the front of her cepholothorax around her chilicerae...she's about 7 inches now and full of attitude:)

Harvey

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you know i just bought 3 Haplo's from an AB member selling them as Minax... they have a nice chocolatey brown to them. yellowish/light brown pattern on the abdomen.

i'll try to get some pics, assuming i can get the little devil's outta their holes hahahaha :D

~dan

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definately a Haplopelma sp.... I have a minax; mine doesn't look like this.
But go back for the "rosehair"!!!! LOLOL
Could be the deal of the century!:D

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. No wonder I was having trouble with the ID. Most of the haplopelma species look really similar.
My friend got the boehmi and it was a very good deal. I'll be checking back to see if they get any more cool mislabeled t's in the future. What was strange is that they had a regular rose hair too. I don't know how they thought they were the same species. lol. :)

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yup, haplopelma sp. i have 1 aswell,could be longipes(i'm calling mine haplopelma sp.) definitly not minax,i have 1 also,she's completely black overall.either way an awesome t:clap: and boy are they "friendly"{D

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. No wonder I was having trouble with the ID. Most of the haplopelma species look really similar.
My friend got the boehmi and it was a very good deal. I'll be checking back to see if they get any more cool mislabeled t's in the future. What was strange is that they had a regular rose hair too. I don't know how they thought they were the same species. lol. :)
Their loss, your friends' gain. Oh well. :)

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi

This is definetly no Cyriopagopus. This is a Haplopelma. It is definetly not a H. lividum (nor is the other "H. lividum" displayed in this thread), H. albostriatum nor H. longipes, but could be a pale variety of H. minax or more likely H. vonwirthi / H. sp. "Vietnam".

Regards
Søren

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is there any way to tell for sure? Would a better pic help? Sure looks like pics of h. longipes I've seen but also resembles some of the other T's you guys mentioned. It made a burrow last night but I may be able to coax it out for another pic or see if it comes out tonight. Is there any part I should get a particularly good shot of that might help with ID?