Wolf Spiders (Lycosidae)

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Since there are already photo thread for jumpers and such, i couldn't find any for wolf spiders. So, i thought i should start one. :D

I'll start with a few,
Hogna sp.

Rabid wolf,

Unknown,

Lets see'em people!

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good God!
the first and third photos are definitely the best I have seen so far of this genus.

May I ask what kind of camera you use?

BTW, I don't have any wolves, otherwise I would love to share =/

Johnnyster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Some reruns...... just to add to this thread. I'll add some more later.

Hogna Carolinensis

Hogna Georgicola[/img]

Rabidosa Rabida

H Carolinensis

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome photos!! I'll never be able to get over at how funny their eyes and carapace are structured. They don't even look spider-like.

4tec84

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, tunedbeat those are the best spider pics i've ever seen. :clap:

Cyanea

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this is my wolf spider and i have absolutely no idea what kind it is

it kind of looks like the one from the post above mine, i think it's really prety :)

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hogna georgicola (chocolate brown burrowing forest wolf spider from the eastern US) females are 1.75-2.0"

Rabidosa rabida (grass and brush semi-aboreal from the SE US) 2-2.5" very twitchy

Gladicosa species (forest floor and tree trunks in SE US) 1.25-1.5"

mating

female

Hogna lenta (SE US species) 1.5-1.75"

Profkrakatoa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mozart - My H. carolensis

There is a better picture in my photo thread, but this one is not TOO bad. I'm learning to use the macro feature on my camera, but I can't hold my hands steady.

Erigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is Pardosa sp

And the first one i don't think that it is Hogna sp. but Trochosa sp. (but the coloration and pattern is similar to Alopecosa sp. ) because the disposition ocular is different and there are two middle moons on prosoma (this is a peculiarity of Trochosa sp.). :razz:

Last edited:

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes I believe Erigo is correct, I would say the first is Trochosa too.

Also Perry I believe the one you have labeled as Gladicosa is R. rabida. Abdomen pattern is a dead match to R. rabida (albeit a bit faded in appearance), as well as carapace. Gladicosa patterns are significantly different.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think you have the picture captions mixed up, title is on top of picture.

Also Perry I believe the one you have labeled as Gladicosa is R. rabida. Abdomen pattern is a dead match to R. rabida (albeit a bit faded in appearance), as well as carapace. Gladicosa patterns are significantly different.

Last edited:

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Perry,

I misunderstood how you labelled the pics. The one you reposted is the one I was saying was R. rabida, I thought it was the one you listed as Gladicosa spp, because the label was beneath the pic. I think now you meant the mating pics below are Gladicosa, so I was just confused.

You also have R. punctulata down there, I know cuz I got one from you last year :D

BTW is Rabidosa still a valid genus or not? Ubick et al found no defining characteristics and keyed all Rabidosa out as Hogna. I guess using the strict morphological characters and not coloration or habitat it makes sense, but Rabidosa definitely utilizes different habitats then Hogna and have a clear color pattern that unites them. Who knows.

I wish someone would get a Hogna revision done so a good key existed. :wall:

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Perry,

I had how you labelled the pictures confused. The one you reposted is the picture I was referring to.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Dead West TX hogna

H. georgicola w/ slings

Hunting the paranoid H. georgicola (this one zipped down its burrow - causing my daughter to vent her frustration)