Is there a Pokie or T for that matter that is regarded as the most venomous?

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been wondering this, since we know that Leiurus quinquestriatus and Scolopendra subspinipes are the most venomous scorpion and centipede respectively. As for true spiders, I believe it's Sicarius hahni inconclusively, with more conclusive results from Phoneutria fera/nigriventer and Atrax robustus.

I've heard that tarantulas of the Poecilotheria genus are widely regarded as the most venomous. Is there a definite "most venomous species" here?

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know I think there are some African species that make pokies look like Barney play toys. {D

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The worst bite report I've ever read resulted from a P. striata bite. I'm sure many on here have seen it as well. I've also read on Mikhail Bagaturov's website that P. formosa is the most venemous pokie. Then again, I've also heard from slightly less reputable sources that ornata and regalis are the most venemous pokies. In truth, who knows. I kind of doubt that the difference in the toxicity of the "most" potent pokie venom and "least" potent pokie venom is that marked. I'd imagine that someone who was ill for 2 days from a full envenomation from the least toxic sp. would probably be ill for like 2 1/2-3 days from full envenomation from the most toxic sp., assuming a very similar reaction wihout any allergy and whatnot. And everyone is going to react differently to envenomation anyway. Your bodies reaction can have as much to do with how ill you become from a bite as the venom itself. I think it it pretty commonly accepted that the Poecilotheia genus has the most toxic venom of any theraphosids, though the genii Stromatopelma, Heteroscodra, and Selenocosmia have been linked to similar bite effects.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There was an account here recently from AB user Austin of his C crawshayi bite that sounded pretty terrible. I have a feeling that some australian species of t's may be the worst just because everything else venomous over there is freakin deadly.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, Australia is nuts. From what I hear, they have the most venemous snake in the world, arguably the most venemous spider, the most venemous jellyfish, the only known venemous octopus, the only known venemous mammal(a freaking platypus is venemous, not poisonous, venemous! You believe that?!), and some damn venemous theraphosids. Jesus. Pretty much the only thing they don't have is the most venemous scorpion.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think the only way to truely determine which species has the most potent venom would be to milk venom from all species, then inject several mice with the exact same quantity of venom. Whichever dies the quickest would have the most potent.
It would be hard to tell from bite reports and personal experience as we don't know how much venom the T injected.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd say the worst are the African species, like C.crawshayi and H.maculata. Some Poecilotheria sp. are probably up there with them. As of right now though, all the species in the hobby are not life threatening to humans. I'm not sure if this applies to babies though.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know, I've heard bad reports of crawshayi, but nothing like some I've read from Poecilotheria. And I've also read a few reports where C. crawshayi bites resulted in very mild symptoms, but bad enough that a dry bite can pretty much be ruled out.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Keep in mind collectively there are probably more bite reports for pokies then there are for the African species. Now I don't know that for a fact but that is how it seems at least.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep in mind collectively there are probably more bite reports for pokies then there are for the African species. Now I don't know that for a fact but that is how it seems at least.
Yeah, I think your probably right on that

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The tarantula that is considered the most venomous is Stromatopelma calceata. Its venom has been observed to always have some effect on the heart. There have been no recorded fatalities, but cardiac disturbances --arythmia for instance--have been established as fairly typical for this species. Tightness of the chest, extreme pain, and severe swelling have also been observed. Think pokie bite, only with involvement of the heart.

Following Stromatopelma, the genera Heteroscodra, Poecilotheria, Selenocosmia, Selenotypus, Chilobrachys, Cyriopagopus, Haplopelma, Citharischius have all been observed to give severe bites.

Still, "severe bites," does NOT equate to the toxicity of level 3 - 5 scorpions. No fatalities have ever been proven from a tarantula bite. The only way a tarantula could conceivably kill someone, is if that person already had a serious health problem that a tarantula bite could aggravate: multiple sclerosis, heart disease, muscular dystrophy--something already endangering one's life. In this scenario, the t-bite would be the "contributing factor," the straw that breaks the camel's back. A tarantula bite, in a HEALTHY person, is not a threat to life. This means, as keepers we must be responsible, and be mindful of our health conditions. If you have a serious disease that a particular tarantula's bite could worsen, DON'T KEEP THAT SPECIES!! Just like if you have asthma, you might not want to take up mountain climbing... Just be sensible about what you keep, and you'll be fine.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
The only way a tarantula could conceivably kill someone, is if that person already had a serious health problem that a tarantula bite could aggravate: multiple sclerosis...
hey venom, what effect does T venom have on a person with multiple sclerosis? is there a link with info? what does it do to the body exactly?

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well said Venom. I fully agree that it is up to you to be resposible about it.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pokie bites have often been reported to cause rapid heartbeat and palpitations, haven't they?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The tarantula that is considered the most venomous is Stromatopelma calceata. Its venom has been observed to always have some effect on the heart. There have been no recorded fatalities, but cardiac disturbances --arythmia for instance--have been established as fairly typical for this species. Tightness of the chest, extreme pain, and severe swelling have also been observed. Think pokie bite, only with involvement of the heart.

Following Stromatopelma, the genera Heteroscodra, Poecilotheria, Selenocosmia, Selenotypus, Chilobrachys, Cyriopagopus, Haplopelma, Citharischius have all been observed to give severe bites.

Still, "severe bites," does NOT equate to the toxicity of level 3 - 5 scorpions. No fatalities have ever been proven from a tarantula bite. The only way a tarantula could conceivably kill someone, is if that person already had a serious health problem that a tarantula bite could aggravate: multiple sclerosis, heart disease, muscular dystrophy--something already endangering one's life. In this scenario, the t-bite would be the "contributing factor," the straw that breaks the camel's back. A tarantula bite, in a HEALTHY person, is not a threat to life. This means, as keepers we must be responsible, and be mindful of our health conditions. If you have a serious disease that a particular tarantula's bite could worsen, DON'T KEEP THAT SPECIES!! Just like if you have asthma, you might not want to take up mountain climbing... Just be sensible about what you keep, and you'll be fine.
Thanks for that! :clap:

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've always been told that H. maculata were the worst, but since no large study has been done, its all conjecture.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Following Stromatopelma, the genera Heteroscodra, Poecilotheria, Selenocosmia, Selenotypus, Chilobrachys, Cyriopagopus, Haplopelma, Citharischius have all been observed to give severe bites
I'd add Pternochilus to that list.