The Perfect Food For T's

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I have experimented with basicly 3 types of food for my T's and other pets, and want to share my thoughts and get yours as well.

First off I started by feeding crickets to some scorps I had. they worked fine until my scorps got mites form the crickets and died. Later i Had some leopard geckos and used crickets and it was OK. The down side to the crickets in my opinion was the smell and frailty of them, and i really hated the cricket songs they would play for my wile i was tring to sleep!

So after that i decided to go with Meal Worms. My geckos loved them and they didn't have the same problems as the crickets, So i decided to breed them for feeders. What i found out is they breed rather slowly and when you got a lot they really smell like amonnia. And even when i had a lot of them they would run out quickly, and i was purchasing more from the petshop.

When i got into T's i ended up going back to crickets, and remembered all the reasons i didn't like them, and I had soo much money invested into my T's that i was not going to risk another parasite epidemic. So i started looking into other food sources and came accross roaches. Once i Knew about roaches i looked into which species was going to be right for me, and decided on Blaptica Dubia.

When i got my new roach colony up and running, me, my T's, and the geckos loved them so much I gave away all the meal Worms and stopped buying crickets. It was the best thing i ever did for my pets, and for me!

From what I have read Roaches are way more nutrious than crickets, and with a large colony you can feed every thing from tiny Slings to BIG Monsterous T's. I chose B. Dubia because they can't climb smooth surfaces, cant fly, the adults are super easy to sex, and they reproduce easily and at a fast pace.

THIS IS HOW I KEEP MY ROACH COLONY:

-I went and purchased a 32gal plastic tub
-bought another heat mat
-cut an openig in the lid for vent, and used my sodder gun and melted a peice of screen onto the lid, you could just use silicon to adhere the screen as well
-stick the heat mat under the tub, you may need to cut a path for the cord, if the tub has support edges that get it the way
-place a number of egg cartons or crates for hiding
-and make sure to leave room for a feeding tray, i use a terra cotta pot holder. This helps keep the tub clean and prevent molding.

some people use bedding of different sorts however i do not. I find it easier and CLEANER to just let them produce waste for bedding. The nymphs acutually get good stuff out of it. And if you are doing a cleaning, it is much easier with out bedding. FYI, you need not clean the colony hardly ever if you feed them right.

Their waste acutually smells kind of good to me, and like i said is benificial to the nymphs. The only problem you will have with cleanliness is if you feed them too much moist foods. Never put in so much Moist food that they cant eat it in under 24 hrs. Their moist veggi food is simply left over table scraps or the peices we dont use for cooking. I throw in hand fulls of Dry Cat Food too, and they eat it up quick, that way they get some protien too. If you keep the moisture levels under control you wont have to cleen the colony but maybe once every 6-24 months, it just depends on how big a tank/tub you have for them.

They say they can reach adulthood after 3 months, but Like T's a lot of it depends on temp and food. I saw a female with 17 fresh nymphs this morning, and if you give them time you will have very large numbers to use for feeding your T's. I only feed my T's adult male Dubias, this is to ensure maximum groth of the colony. I want the females making more food for my spiders.

So in a nut shell, I believe B. Dubias are the Perfect Food Source for me to feed to my T's. I absolutly love them. If you have a Dubia colony or any other type of roach colony at home for your T's please let me know how you keep them. Also if you have some other type of food source that you raise at home, please let us all know about it, and how well it works for you.

Here are pics of how i house the Dubia colony

Attachments

Okitasoshi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also have a dubia colony, and find that at first they ate them like crazy but then after a while most of my roaches started ignoring them. cause they'll play dead and it makes it tough for the tarantula to get them. that's the only problems I've had. some like them some don't.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
smart roaches

yeah i have witnessed some "smart" roaches. Thats when i get the pencil out and scare them into the Tarantula's direction:evil:

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is some great info. I have been wanting to get a colony of B dubia for quite some time to add variety to my T's diet. However, I just cannot find them here by me. I have been using crics since I started and the chirping doesn't worry me at all. I only get chirping from the 3/4 and adults. I have managed to keep my adults & 3/4 alive for up to a month. The smell is pretty bad, but the love for my T's cancels it. I rather just buy crics as I'm not up to starting a colony of crics as I don't have enough T's to justify that.
I am now starting a colony of mealworms and superworms. They are pretty easy and low maintenence. At first my T's were not keen on the worms and I did not like cutting them up. But last week I bought some and most were baby worms and my T's just ate them right up. Only prob with worms is that you have to make sure the T eats them straight away or squish the head.

You have got yourself a very good setup going there.

Cockroach_PL

Arachnopeon
Yeah, that's right. IMO B. dubia are the best. Easy, relatively clean (don't smell), not flying and quickly reproducing. I'd recommend them to anyone who would like to start new roaches colony ;)

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Great post. :)

I'm also moving from crickets to B.dubias (my colony started breeding yay!) after reading so many good things about them vis-a-vis other feeders. Still dependent on crickets til Im sure I have the numbers to keep the roach colony going though. :D

Qvarnold

Arachnopeon
I too got a colony of B. dubia. I keep mine in a large container with lots of boxes, egg cartons, etc. for hiding.
I mostly feed mine whatever I eat for dinner/breakfast, although I avoid giving them animal protein such as meat, cheese, and so on. Don't know why but it feels wierd giving them such.
My T's love them roaches, especially my B. albopilosum.

Although I don't have any arboreals except for P. regalis, which I feed crickets, I'm considering getting some more pokies. Anyone using mainly B. dubia for arboreals, if so, how is it?
From first hand experience B. dubia move very careful, and they can't climb glass so I can't imagine them being that good arboreal feeders.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
That's a good questions about aboreals

I have seen B. Dubia climb stuff to aviod Ts, but i don't have any aboreal Ts. have you tried them with your aboreals, is it something they aren't quite into?

Any other Bred at Home Feeders we should all know about?

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have heard for a long time that roaches are the way to go, but I have never had the nerve to start a colony. I can hardly stand the crickets. Is there a danger that escapees could get established?

Very cool demo btw.

--Chris

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
escape

I have had a few get out, from the kids playing with them, LOL. BUt, in order for this Tropical Species to bred you need higher temps from what i understand. And in my opinion if you were to breed crickets at home you would have a lot HIGHER risk of having them all over your house then you would Dubias. They are realy easy to keep!

omni

Arachnobaron
Nice setup.. I recently switched to B. lateralis from crix after a long time when I accidentally killed my whole colony(don't ask:eek: )
The T's love 'em but they're harder to round up being somewhat smarter and faster than crickets.
Right now I'm using two small tubs 14x9x12". What's the size of a 32gal tub?

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool, thanks. Yeah I haven't started a cricket colony either, but have used store-bought. I am considering the roaches though--I have been feeding my blondi fuzzies for years and am thinking I should get her on inverts. She has a real hard time with the crickets as they are fairly small and she has a hard time grabbing them all without them escaping from her clutches.

I used to work in a movie theater that was infested with roaches so I guess I have become a roachaphobe. Maybe I should handle some roaches to get past that fear. :eek: Its good to know that they wont establish because of the climate.

--C

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
B.dubia doesn't actually go well with arboreal Ts, giving enough substrate they will burrow as deep as possible. I prefer B.discoidalis, as more of my T's will actually take these.

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have had a few get out, from the kids playing with them, LOL. BUt, in order for this Tropical Species to bred you need higher temps from what i understand. And in my opinion if you were to breed crickets at home you would have a lot HIGHER risk of having them all over your house then you would Dubias. They are realy easy to keep!
Boy, isn't THIS true. I had a colony of crickets for a while... and quite that when I found some running around the bathroom in the middle of the night. I could tell that they weren't the "local" kind of cricket as opposed to the "pet store" cricket, so I knew that they had to come from the colony.

I'm afraid to do the roach thing because my wife detests them and I live in Arizona... where its HOT most of the time.

Wait... could that be a GOOD thing? How HOT can the roaches live in? Can I raise them in the shade of a garage in 95+ degrees? THAT may be a good thing. If I can raise them outside 8 months of the year and then buy crickets for the other 4... MIGHT work!

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, I will have to negotiate with my wife as well, if I go forward with this. She has no problem with the spiders, but the roaches might be a hard sell.

--C

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You guys are so lucky, I live in Florida. If it were up to me I would have gotten roaches the minute I got my first T. :(

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Florida

Well since you live in Florida, i imagine that you could just look under your kitchen sink and get some, breed them for a while and then start feeding them to your T's, just give them some time to breed out any risk of pesticides.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crickets

I usually stick with crickets and feed them nutrient food stuff and apples to get them fat off of that first. If you keep the crickets alive then you will be fine and they wont smell. I kill off the "sound makers" in the first place so they wont keep me up. I wont keep roaches. If even 2 get out and they happen to reproduce theeeeeeeeeen before I know it I have a colony of roaches living in my house. My t's and leopard geckos wond mind but I rather like having a nice, clean, organized home. ....

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Don't Knock Till You Try It!

I thought the same thing too, but i gave it a try and now i will never go back!

I would really like to know what other people are doing "at Home", and how they are doing it. I wanted to get info form other people who are also raising there own feeders. what they are using as feeders, and how they keep them.