Euscorpius copulation

gotterdamerung

Arachnopeon
I have a few questions about my Euscorpius couple for people that have any clue what to do in this kind of situation. My friend gave them to me a month ago. They live in separate boxes and I really need advices on this:
1. considering their biorythm, are they going to copulate during falls and winter (right now?)? I believe that spring is perfect.
2. what can I do to prepare them for spring? Low the temperatures down, place the boxes in shade... while it's winter?
3. She already "gave birth" to a couple of little Euscorpius, while living in my friends' place. Is she capable of having more offsprings?
4. they are nocturnal animals - is it possible that they mate during daylight?
5. are they going to kill themselves during/after sex? These animals are usually depicted as bloodthirsty killing-after-sex-machines - is it enough to keep an eye on them to prevent the killing? Or, can I leave them one or 2 days alone, without disturbing them?
6. optimal temperature for copulation?
7. Female carries babies 15-16 months. True/false?

Thanks

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1. considering their biorythm, are they going to copulate during falls and winter (right now?)? I believe that spring is perfect.
Most Euscorpius spp mate in late spring early summer and then give birth the following late summer/early autumn.....or should that be the other way around........:?

2. what can I do to prepare them for spring? Low the temperatures down, place the boxes in shade... while it's winter?
You have Euscorpius spp naturally occuring in Croatia therefor if your scorpions come from your own country all you need to do is duplicate what you see out the window....just remember that your scorpion would naturally be in shelter under some sort of surface debris and could also be situated somewhere where the worst of the weather is negligible..
My own Euscorpius are at the moment experiencing temps around the 15C with night time around 10C and will do for 2 or 3 more months yet wherefter i'll raise it over a period of a few months to the low 20's.

3. She already "gave birth" to a couple of little Euscorpius, while living in my friends' place. Is she capable of having more offsprings?
Not until next year (or the year after) and only after she has been mated again....One brood per insemination for Euscorpius spp.

4. they are nocturnal animals - is it possible that they mate during daylight?
They are not as nocturnal as you imagine. If they are situated somewhere where they experience direct light, whether sun or lamp then yes, you'll probably only experience them out during the night period...However if they are situated some place that is shaded with low ambient light then there's a good chance of catching them out during the light period.
As for mating I believe they are just as likely to mate during the day as they are during the night.....I've mated Euscorpius spp during the day without any problems..;)

5. are they going to kill themselves during/after sex?
No.

can I leave them one or 2 days alone, without disturbing them?
As long as they are adult you shouldn't have many problems.
I have communal hadzii, carpathicus, concinnus and italicus without any problems.....However i also have a steady supply of correct sized crickets and all the scorpions are adult. They also have terrariums that are large compared to the scorpions size (25 x 30cm) with loads of hiding places.

6. optimal temperature for copulation?
Just match your country's summer temperature (an average) then put a adult unmated female together with a adult male and you'll usually find that that's all it takes.

7. Female carries babies 15-16 months. True/false?
That's been my experience so i'd have to say true....although i guess the duration could be a bit shorter/longer on occasions.....What Euscorpius spp have you do you know?

gotterdamerung

Arachnopeon
First, thanks ;)

Second, my Euscorpius are supposedly italicus species, I'm really new in this so you can try to look at them here. Come to think of it, it's on croatian so I'll just place the pics here:

She (Marcy, for future reference ;)):

He (Jefferson):

Can you give me some species' unique morphological characteristics, I can take a closer look... and I'd really like to be sure what species is this.

Euscorpius spp mate in late spring early summer and then give birth the following late summer/early autumn
Right now they are capable of reproduction - are they going to live till early summer? How long they, actually, live as adults?

You have Euscorpius spp naturally occuring in Croatia therefor if your scorpions come from your own country all you need to do is duplicate what you see out the window...
They came from Dalmatia, "higlander" region near Adriatic sea. I myself come from continental part of Croatia so my only option is to *try* to imitate their natural habitat - actually, I'm not sure how to make identical conditions, I can only guess cause I have never been there...

My own Euscorpius are at the moment experiencing temps around the 15C with night time around 10C and will do for 2 or 3 more months yet wherefter i'll raise it over a period of a few months to the low 20's.
It's good to know, because I thought that their mating impulse would still "work" on higher temps, even during this period of the year. I'll just leave them alone until spring.

Also, considering period of rest - what is your experience with all those species of genus Euscorpius - how often do you feed them? I can tell that Marcy definitely eats more than Jefferson...

Do you feed them only with crickets? I find that food so boring - my animals like to eat Lumbricus terrestris, Zophobas morio, Tenebrio molitor, and for some reason, they have never refused a snail ;)
(offsprings of Arion and Limax genus, for example),.. my supplies are always full of these creatures.

However if they are situated some place that is shaded with low ambient light then there's a good chance of catching them out during the light period.
I have placed the boxes in mild shadow - not on direct light nor in total darkness. You are right, I can see them resting often on coconut shells ;)

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you give me some species' unique morphological characteristics, I can take a closer look... and I'd really like to be sure what species is this.
I suggest you check out Jan ove's website Scorpion Files and compare your scorpion with Jan's Euscorpius ID key..Here's the address to the ID key. http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/euscorpius_id.php

How long they, actually, live as adults
I don't know...maybe 3-6 years.

how often do you feed them?
At the moment, not to often, maybe once every week and a half and more often than not it's a "supplement" and not a feed as there are usually living prey still about from the last feed....That is all apart from E.concinnus..They are still fed at least once a week as i can see their food items dissapear.
For food they get crickets and micro mealworms that are loose in a earthenware flat dish that the scorpions can get in and out of but the mealworms can't...Other food items are subject to availability.

they have never refused a snail
Small snails...good idea..;)

BTW...I can see on one of your other pictures that your male (Jefferson) has lost one of his tarsus (feet) on his left hand side. From the picture it looks like mycosis which is a fungal disease that is usually triggered by excessive humidity or wet substrate.
If your scorpions are E.italicus then they usually like it a little warmer and drier than other Euscorpius spp.

Last edited: