Emperor Scorpions <- Help Needed Fast!

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've got LOADS of questions related to Emperor Scorpions (Pandinus Imperator).

Hopefully I'll get the answers just in time, but anyways, here are my questions:

1) What's better? A heat mat or a ceramic heat emitter?

2) http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/heating_info.php - Which type of heat wave mat do you think is better for an Emp Scorp? The "Heat Wave Desert" or the "Heat Wave Rainforest"?

3) Would a plastic terrarium like this work for an Emp Scorp? http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/faunarium.php

4) Glass terrariums or plastic terrariums? Which would you recommend? And why?

5) Do Emperor Scorpions smell? Will they stink up my entire room?

6) I heard some reports of scorpions escaping by ripping apart through the wires of the lids with their powerful claws. How can I prevent this?

7) Would a 5-gallon aquarium fish tank work for a single fully grown Emp Scorp?

8) Do heat mats work for plastic terrariums? Or only glass terrariums?

9) How do you deal with "moulting"? When Emp Scorps moult, what do you do?

10) How often do you clean your terrarium?

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN ANSWER THEM! :):):)

Vaughan69

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I really dont mean to be a patronising bast**d but the answers to all of your questions are available in this forum if you take the time to read the specific posts. I didnt have a clue about scorpions at all until i took the time to read it all. Theres no substitute for researching things yourself man.

Hope you get what your looking for.

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really dont mean to be a patronising bast**d but the answers to all of your questions are available in this forum if you take the time to read the specific posts. I didnt have a clue about scorpions at all until i took the time to read it all. Theres no substitute for researching things yourself man.

Hope you get what your looking for.
I did do research.

In fact, I've been researching all over the net.

These questions, however, are the questions that I didn't get answers for. Sometimes information that I find isn't so specifically detailed to answer all my questions, so, the least I can do is to ask them here.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd have to agree about researching. I'm not trying to be un helpful, and I certainly am glad that you're inquiring about what should be done to insure a proper set up, it shows that you genuinely want to do a good job of keeping your emps. Still though, I was also completely in the dark, and what I did was research it on my own. Everything you need is on this site, and it's not too hard to track down. If after doing some thorough research you still have questions, then by all means, ask. I say this simply because you will retain the information better if you research it and read it yourself. It's the whole give a man to fish vs teach a man to fish type of thing, tho slightly modified. It just helps with the over all retention of any info you come across because you've put in some genuine work to finding it. It's always better to retain info you find when dealing with inverts, it's invaluable to be able to recall it freely. Again, this is best accomplished by researching on your own. Best of luck, and again, if you still have questions after researching, by all means, please post a new thread with your unanswered Qs.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looks like you posted while i was typing away. Still, i'd encourage more specific searching on this site. I promise you can find your answers on here, I did, and I was a complete noob when i got my emp.

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not sure whether you understand what I'm saying.

I did do research.

Even long before I registered, I was searching through the archives and old threads on this site. Don't get me wrong, I found LOTS of useful information, but right now, I'm left with these questions.

EDIT: Besides that, there's only one forum for Scorpions. The rest is all about Tarantulas and other stuff.

EDIT: I mean, look at questions 2 and 3 for example, those are questions that you probably haven't even seen before.

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've got LOADS of questions related to Emperor Scorpions (Pandinus Imperator).

Hopefully I'll get the answers just in time, but anyways, here are my questions:

1) What's better? A heat mat or a ceramic heat emitter?

2) http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/heating_info.php - Which type of heat wave mat do you think is better for an Emp Scorp? The "Heat Wave Desert" or the "Heat Wave Rainforest"?

3) Would a plastic terrarium like this work for an Emp Scorp? http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/faunarium.php

4) Glass terrariums or plastic terrariums? Which would you recommend? And why?

5) Do Emperor Scorpions smell? Will they stink up my entire room?

6) I heard some reports of scorpions escaping by ripping apart through the wires of the lids with their powerful claws. How can I prevent this?

7) Would a 5-gallon aquarium fish tank work for a single fully grown Emp Scorp?

8) Do heat mats work for plastic terrariums? Or only glass terrariums?

9) How do you deal with "moulting"? When Emp Scorps moult, what do you do?

10) How often do you clean your terrarium?

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN ANSWER THEM! :):):)

1.it depends on what you prefer if you choose a heat pad then DO NOT PUT IT UNDER THE TANK THEY ARE IN beacuse that when they are hot they will dig

i use a heat pad and put it in the back of the cage

2.well i am using the rainforest one

3. if you are using any kind of heat producer never use plastic cages

get a ten gallon tank or 5 gallon it depends on how many scorps you have

4. i prefer Glass beacuse its good for using heat pads heat bulbs

5. NO they dont smell unless they are dead

6.yes of course you can just dont get something that they can reach the top of the tank.

7. yes

8. they dont work on plastic its better if you go with glass

9. make sure you use ECo earth or bed o beast or something like that

beaucse they need it moist to successfully complete the molt with out haveing any problems

10.i clean my tank about every 2 months

Vaughan69

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not sure whether you understand what I'm saying.

I did do research.

Even long before I registered, I was searching through the archives and old threads on this site. Don't get me wrong, I found LOTS of useful information, but right now, I'm left with these questions.

EDIT: Besides that, there's only one forum for Scorpions. The rest is all about Tarantulas and other stuff.

EDIT: I mean, look at questions 2 and 3 for example, those are questions that you probably haven't even seen before.
To save you from making an easy mistake and obviously because you havnt read the threads regarding these things, YES the faunariums are ok depending on the size of them of course. And the heat mat would be fine as long as it was on the SIDE of the tank.

We are honestly trying to help you help yourself here but to save any mistakes that could harm a scorpion NEVER put a heat mat under a tank under any circumstances.

Please read the threads, everything you have asked, including the questions in this post are answered here. just look at peoples pictures for tank setups if your still at a loss.

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1.it depends on what you prefer if you choose a heat pad then DO NOT PUT IT UNDER THE TANK THEY ARE IN beacuse that when they are hot they will dig

i use a heat pad and put it in the back of the cage

2.well i am using the rainforest one

3. if you are using any kind of heat producer never use plastic cages

get a ten gallon tank or 5 gallon it depends on how many scorps you have

4. i prefer Glass beacuse its good for using heat pads heat bulbs

5. NO they dont smell unless they are dead

6.yes of course you can just dont get something that they can reach the top of the tank.

7. yes

8. they dont work on plastic its better if you go with glass

9. make sure you use ECo earth or bed o beast or something like that

beaucse they need it moist to successfully complete the molt with out haveing any problems

10.i clean my tank about every 2 months
Thanks for the helpful answers! :)

At least some people aren't just trying to get a 1+ post count. Lol.

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ha

hahah lol its okay dude i was lost just like you before i got them so im just returning the favor of someone helping me in this =]

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To save you from making an easy mistake and obviously because you havnt read the threads regarding these things, YES the faunariums are ok depending on the size of them of course. And the heat mat would be fine as long as it was on the SIDE of the tank.

We are honestly trying to help you help yourself here but to save any mistakes that could harm a scorpion NEVER put a heat mat under a tank under any circumstances.

Please read the threads, everything you have asked, including the questions in this post are answered here. just look at peoples pictures for tank setups if your still at a loss.
i was told not to put heat mats on plastic

and i would not like to risk that

plastic and heat i dont think would really work

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Right in my signature, click the link and all your answers will be there.

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm i cant really understand why all you ppl say you have to use heatmat and is using a heatmat? i mean how cold is your rooms? i dont really understand it.. i have scorps thats dessert species and they dont have a heatmat or lamp, nothing.. just overhead light.. they survive pretty fine, some are molting and breeding and stuff.. so i cant see the big fuss about heatmats.. i say screw em.. if you place them wrong they can kill your scorp.. same goes for lamps..

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm i cant really understand why all you ppl say you have to use heatmat and is using a heatmat? i mean how cold is your rooms? i dont really understand it.. i have scorps thats dessert species and they dont have a heatmat or lamp, nothing.. just overhead light.. they survive pretty fine, some are molting and breeding and stuff.. so i cant see the big fuss about heatmats.. i say screw em.. if you place them wrong they can kill your scorp.. same goes for lamps..
Not sure about where you live, but here in Canada it's really cold.

There's no way an Emperor Scorpion can survive in weather like this.

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
but mate do you keep your scorp outside? because i keep my scorp indoors in a apartment.. and most ppl i know dont use heating, they keep either scorps or spiders.. my rooms is at the temp i like to live in, so around 25-27c.. in summer its not hard to keep it at that, and in winter i just turn the heat up abit and boom its nice and warm.. iam in Denmark so same weather as UK.. dont know much about Canada.. but in the main land i guess we got the same weather as yours.. not mountain wise..

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You don't know how cold it is in Canada, so why don't you forget about it?

And if you're going to make such a big fuss about people using heat mats, go complain to all those other hundreds of thousands of people that use heat mats, okay? I'm just following what other people do.

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You don't know how cold it is in Canada, so why don't you forget about it?

And if you're going to make such a big fuss about people using heat mats, go complain to all those other hundreds of thousands of people that use heat mats, okay? I'm just following what other people do.
Lol dude your pissy tonight aint you?

what iam trying to tell you is that unless you live in a house with no heating at all and you run around in jackets freezing your butts off, you dont really need a heatmat.. if you plan on having emps they dont need 40c.. around 20 is fine for emps higher for better.. and right now iam not making a big fuss about it, oh btw i do belive that there is allso thousands of ppl using no heatmats or lamps for they scorps works perfectly fine for them..