Avicularia communal enclosure

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm lucky in that I get to play with all sorts of cool stuff for a living. The museum I work for recently set up a series of exhibits aimed at younger children in an area coined "I explore". In this space we placed 4 living exhibits that highlight different places that animals call "home".

One of the exhibits is a communal group of A.avicularia
I have about 20 avics in here and the enclosure has been occupied for a few months now. They share the space with about 4 African millipedes. The purpose of the exhibit is to highlight how some inverts live up in the canopy while others stay on the ground but the milli's don't seem to understand the signs and spend alot of time up in the branches. I've witnessed alot of interesting interaction between the two species.

The enclosure itself measures 2.5 ft wide, deep, and 4' high. I have placed alot of wood in there to provide plenty of surface area and little nooks and crannies for the avics to hide. It seems that they spend alot of time in conspicuous areas and have made some really cool web retreats.

Some of my favorites are the adults that have webbed up in the canopy and used the artificial foliage in their construction.

So far the numbers seem somewhat stable. There has been a few instances of cannibalization and it seems that it's mostly young males pushing the envelope with females in their secure tube webs. I'm hoping for some fat avic sacs soon!

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Wow, that is really cool! What do you feed them with? If babies start appearing, would you let them hatch and grow naturally, or would you remove them?

CFNSmok.PL

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very impressive. Do you keep or plan to keep some of your P. metallica in similar exhibit?

Smok

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is really cool Danny, but how do you keep them from escaping when you open that big door to do maint?

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice one.what museum is it?
Liberty Science Center

Wow, that is really cool! What do you feed them with? If babies start appearing, would you let them hatch and grow naturally, or would you remove them?
We broadcast crickets and silkworm moths into the cage and do daily spot checks to make sure everyone is getting enough food. All sacs will be removed and manually incubated to prevent hatching on exhibit. I think most of them would end up getting munched if left in there.

Do you keep or plan to keep some of your P. metallica in similar exhibit?
*SIGH* - When someone donates like 20 of them to us. We are a non-profit afterall... :}

That is really cool Danny, but how do you keep them from escaping when you open that big door to do maint?
Thanks! We basically brush them off the opening pane and they are all pretty good about staying away while maintenance is done each morning. Because the door is opened and the spiders aren't allowed to settle in the immediate area they generally keep clear. With all of the surface area in the cage they are content to go elsewhere. You will have the occasional maverick that will jump and attempt to glide out or hitch a ride on a keeper's back (right Tom? :eek: ).

chandlermonster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What a great job! Did you go to University? If so, what did you major in? I find it all very interesting...

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats awesome! I wonder if adding some Blaptica dubia and a cork hide could be used to demonstrate decomposers/habitats in dead trees?

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
or how bout adding super predators of the invert world... centipedes!

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OOPPPPS! sorry i missed your reply... sorry about previous post

Profkrakatoa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice! One of my son's favorite exhibits when we went to the Science & Industry museum in Chicago was the invert one. You've done a good job and keep up the noble profession of engaging and educating our kids!:clap:

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
dude i cant get this thread out of my head!. I ENVY YOU! i wish my job was like yours :(

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you all so much.
I guess when I get a chance I'll have to snap some pics of our other invert exhibits which include widows, scorpions, and stick insects. We also have 2 species of roaches on exhibits, beetle and firefly mimics.

I will try to get some more pics up.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is this a permanent exhibit, or just temporary? I'd love to check it out!

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you all so much.
I guess when I get a chance I'll have to snap some pics of our other invert exhibits which include widows, scorpions, and stick insects. We also have 2 species of roaches on exhibits, beetle and firefly mimics.

I will try to get some more pics up.
Please do! Where is this, by the way? In D.C.? If so, I feel a road trip coming on...

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jersey's great, totally worth the visit. We are near the Statue so there's other things to do in the area...

The exhibit is "permanent" because of it's popularity but that just means it'll be around for a couple of years, we usually switch up themes every few years.
The downside is you can't see the Avic exhibit unless you have a small child with you as the area is only for small kids and parents. But there are other things to check out as well...

Widow.

Beetle & Firefly Mimic Roaches

Bunches o' Hissers!

And a few other invert exhibits as well as some new ones I'm currently planning so send me your requests for the ultimate invert exhibit!