Genus Lyrognathus

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice one, one of the nicest spiders. The Asian pachypus. Congrats :worship:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Very nice... I just got 4 L. crotalus and can't wait to see what they look liek when they get bigger!

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Here's one of my 4 1" Lyrognathus crotalus "Indian Grey Earth Tiger".... I can't wait till they get bigger and show something other than brown!

Last edited:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, that is gorgeous. I have never seen that before, thank you for sharing!
You should see how sexually dimorphic the males of this species are ;) (Oh yes Lyro boys, they do exist, dead, but in existence :)) Some might say they have never been seen before, in fact all might say that and I'll probably get reemed, but hey, there's two in alcohol on my bench right now and they differ greatly to both Coremiocnemis & Selenocosmia males, generically too :) Even more importantly, they will add to the shared derived characters known in the group. Additionally, a new species from this genus is about to be described, we have much material from both sexes. A helping hint to those in doubt of the generic placement of L.robustus, the new description will cement its position within the genus and greatly add to the synapomorphies also found in the far north eastern Indian/Myanmar material. Anyone with geographic knowledge of the region and half a brain can see the obvious land ties that explain the large range of the group. India ties to Myanmar, Myanmar tied to Sumatra and so on (which is why there are some nonendemic species on the islands in the region), et all tied to. So you see, the rage of an "old" genus can be extremely large, given the right conditions over millions of years.
Anyhow, all this forum blah blah will come to light once the papers are out I hope (and yes, they are in the works).

Steve

P.S. Volker and co., I know you guys will be pissed for me releasing info that some goose like your old mate can steal, but hey, if he does then more fool him right (besides, this isn't part of our combined work, otherwise I would have told you before putting this up)??? A lot of these people on these boards are good folk anyway and have contributed a bloody hell of a lot to us, so a little info slung their way won't hurt mate ;)

Last edited:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thank you Steve... always good to see you posting, and always appreciate the information :)

Take care,

Eric

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
great news Steve!i can honestly say ive never seen an image of a male before.would love to see one.look forward to learning more about these interesting species

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you Steve...
Hi Eric,
You're welcome :) Because of the details involved in the male description, I can't yet show either the male L.robustus, or the nov. sp. just yet ;) (anyhow mate, I know you know the species, please keep under your wing for now ;))

What I can do is show you another Lyrognathus species from Bangladesh (quite different to the three described spp. from the Assam region). The image is owned by the Indian taxonomists who are working with this species and was kindly supplied to me with permission by Manju Siliwal. So, here you go, a completely unseen Lyrognathus species posted for the first time publicly outside of India:)

Oh, hell, while I'm at it, here's another image from Manju of another Indian Lyro, another first I think... (you thought L.crotalus had thick hind legs, I'm 99% sure these are different to the recent collected specimens from the region, possibly L.pugnax ;))

The males of most of this genus have a beautiful purple sheen to them, nice :) Further, there seems to be solid evidence that all 3 previous described spp. from the Assam region are indeed valid, the males have helped to confirm this :)

So there you have it, some adult Indian material :)

Cheers,
Steve

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Very nice!!!!!!!!! Many thanks to psoting that info and pics~! :drool:

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, that's exciting news, great to hear!!! Those are beautiful by the way :drool: