Snake as a feeder for T

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
while i was watching National Geography channel a while ago i seen a Tarantula devour a snake. I'm planning to feed my 9" T apophysis a garter snakes that only cost 19 dollars in our local pet store. Now my question, can a garter snake harm my tarantula? should i prekill it before i give it to my tarantula ?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its been done with pre-killed snakes..though 19 bucks is alot for a feeder of any kind....but to answer the question.. yes, pre-kill as snakes have been known to tear appendiges and i wouldn't want to risk injury...

wayne

Brettus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm planning to feed my 9" T apophysis a garter snakes that only cost 19 dollars in our local pet store. Now my question, can a garter snake harm my tarantula? should i prekill it before i give it to my tarantula ?
Why would you want to do that?:? Like sick said, 19 dollars is alot for a feeder, and snakes are lithe and muscular animals-I'm sure it could do damage to your T in the right circumstances. What is your reasoning for feeding the snake? If it is just for the thrill of watching a fight and saying 'I fed my T a snake' you are doing it for all the wrong reasons.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why would you want to do that?:? Like sick said, 19 dollars is alot for a feeder, and snakes are lithe and muscular animals-I'm sure it could do damage to your T in the right circumstances. What is your reasoning for feeding the snake? If it is just for the thrill of watching a fight and saying 'I fed my T a snake' you are doing it for all the wrong reasons.
well not really for fighting but im just curious about it. i want to see if the nutrients that a snake has is good for big Ts and i want to observe my T's behavior after it eats a snake. also im not satisfied with roaches that's why im experimenting for the best feeder. also i can afford 19 bucks once in a while. My plan is to feed my Ts mice, lizard chicks, or snake when im breeding them to make sure they are well fed to have a good egg productions.

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well not really for fighting but im just curious about it. i want to see if the nutrients that a snake has is good for big Ts and i want to observe my T's behavior after it eats a snake. also im not satisfied with roaches that's why im experimenting for the best feeder. also i can afford 19 bucks once in a while. My plan is to feed my Ts mice, lizard chicks, or snake when im breeding them to make sure they are well fed to have a good egg productions.
actually i've heard that feeding verts to inverts for an extended period of time can be detrimental to their health...the large amounts of calcium present in vertibrates can cause molting problems and things of that nature...a treat every now and again is fine but using it as a staple of their diet is supposed to be bad news...

plus a T that is well fed on crickets and/or roaches is going to be the same well fed T as one that was well fed on mice and snakes...

just my two cents

Harvey

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd have to agree with Harvey. Snakes aren't a staple of T's. They need a balanced diet, not one with such a high concentration of muscle. Besides, why eliminate another beautiful invertebrate when it is not necessary?

izan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What The Hell Do You Want To Do That For ? ? ?

I thought National Geographic was supposed to influence viewers in a positive way ?

Let me guess. To post it on youtube under the obligatory title 'TARANTULA vs SNAKE.' Just like all the other titles posted by morons who also have small penises.

Its just needless, uneccessary and sad. I hope the $19 snake wins.

Last edited:

Geography Guy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I thought National Geographic was supposed to influence viewers in a positive way ?

Let me guess. To post it on youtube under the obligatory title 'TARANTULA vs SNAKE.' Just like all the other titles posted by morons who also have small penises.

Woah.....kind of harsh there.

I wouldn't recommend feeding a T a snake. With $19 bucks, you could probably buy yourself a new T. Even against a 9 inch T, I think the snake will probably come out victorious.

Cheers :)

melanie5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Amen to that. Why the h*ll would you do a thing like that? You say your looking in to new diets and want to know how a snake will influence your T? :wall: Hey, that give me an idea. Wanna come over and help me on my experiment to seen how human nutrients influence my friends anaconda?
Jeez, grow up...

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd be afraid of internal parasities. A lot of common, cheap reptiles are wild caught kept in very poor conditions. If you plan to do this a good idea would be to freeze the pray item for an extended period of time to kill any parasites. I would also do this once a year at the most.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I understand your curiosity. I've heard that a T with a snake will start eating at one end and slowly move down to the other. It would probably be very interesting to watch. If it was me I would prekill the snake just to be sure (although I think a 9 inch T would have no problem with a garter snake)

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've heard of people feeding weak hatchling snakes to their T's...but their is no way I'd go out a buy one to feed...no way!

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

not really thats why i posted this tread to ask people if i have to prekilled the snake before i feed it and to know any information regarding to this topic. dint you read my question ? Also i thought that some big tarantula need to eat snake as part of their natural diet because i saw it in national geographic channel that some sp. of tarantula eat snakes in their natural habitat. Plus your hope of my precious T being killed by a snake is never going to happen because im going to prekilled the snake or injured it so badly that it can only move a bit for my t to see it. ofcourse if only i decided to feed my T a snake.

I thought that snake can provide a good source of protien since it has a lot of muscle and low fat. however, i did not know that snakes have high concentration of calcium in their body. I'm just going to use a different feeder since most people here said that snakes are bad idea as a feeder.

pinktoe23

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also i thought that some big tarantula need to eat snake as part of their natural diet because i saw it in national geographic channel that some sp. of tarantula eat snakes in their natural habitat.
but aren't most of these documentaries in the most part staged and even somewhat exagerated to capture the publics' interest in it?

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is why I support Australian law in the feeding of vertebrates. It's illegal over here to feed live vertebrates to anything unless humanely euthanised and absolutely necessary (this is not necessary).

The amount of pain that poor snake will go through when it gets bitten and envenomated is exceptionally cruel (not to mention the pain it'll experience when you "injure it so badly" you sicko). A T's venom is not designed to work on verts and as such will be slow and painful. A snakes nervous system is exceptionally developed compared to that of a cricket or roach, so don't bother comparing.

If you are going to humanely euthanise the snake (humanely being the operative word) then go for it, but for the love of good find out what humane euthanasia involves (it is not freezing). Humane euthanasia is different for reptiles than it is for mammals, so do some research before subjecting the snake to your horrors.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Its a strange world we live in when theres starving children somewhere out there, but a pet spider gets a $19 dollar meal. In fact Im eating a .59 cent ramon noodles for dinner. :rolleyes:

Although I have fed snakes to spiders before, and I dont feal that I'm a "sicko". Here's a T. apophysis eating a california king baby. I hatched the snake myself, and it never did well. In fact it was just about dead when I fed it to the spider.
Later, Tom

Attachments

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, a lot of documentaries stage this kind of stuff. It is exciting because it seldom happens and thus the participants are not well adapted to the task which makes it entertaining. (it is far more exciting watching something take on oversized prey than to watch it quickly deal with what it was adapted to do).

The video showing a L. parahybana eating a fer de lance could be genuine though....albeit a freak occurence and something most spiders of its species would never sink their fangs into.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Its a strange world we live in when theres starving children somewhere out there, but a pet spider gets a $19 dollar meal. In fact Im eating a .59 cent ramon noodles for dinner. :rolleyes:

Although I have fed snakes to spiders before, and I dont feal that I'm a "sicko". Here's a T. apophysis eating a california king baby. I hatched the snake myself, and it never did well. In fact it was just about dead when I fed it to the spider.
Later, Tom
wow this is so interesting, i will try to feed my T a prekilled snake. I forgot that i have a friend that breeds snakes I'm just gonna ask him to sell me the cheapest snake he have :) since pet stores sells wc snakes, i want to avoid parasite. Thanks for the pic Philth i really appreciate it.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe see if your friend has any that are feeder quality...basically a non-viable specimen.