when is fat too fat?

cockroach52

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At what point should i stop feeding a L. Parahybana a G. Aureostriata?

They're both between 1-2" and seem really fat, but I've fed them 3 'medium' crickets since November (I think).

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
provided they can always drink when they want to, i only feed stuff when the booty is not as big as i want

also, what temps do you keep them at? at 60*F (er 13*C?) you would probably only have to feed the aureo a 1/2" every 2-3 months to keep it at about the same weight

also, all things being equal (though they rarely are ;)) i would say that the para has about 2-3 times the metabolism of the aureo. ATBE the para would molt in half to a third the time the aureo, males would mature in half to a third the time, and roughly the para would require about 2-3 times the amount of food to stay the equivalent "unthinness"

roughly

Last edited:

cockroach52

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they're at the room temperature of my bedroom, so not that bad.

this is just off google, but is this one too fat?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

http://bugguide.net/images/raw/JLPL...HPR0HGRDZSRYZZZDZ3LDZJLTZ0R3ZSRWLIRWLHZ6L.jpg

you shouldn't use the img tags if you don't own the img. use the url tags like that ^

i would say that is too fat. some would probably disagree with me

fact is, we don't know too much about tarantula nutrition and dietics. general biological common sense tells us that virtually all, if not all, animal organisms suffer some sort of deletorious effect from consuming too many calories over a given period of time. just what those limits of healthfulness are... we have no freakin clue

there is definitely a correlation between how much food a bug gets and how much it grows in a certain period of time. even my own paltry experiments showed that
http://www.geocities.com/blight_child/results2nestor.html
http://www.geocities.com/blight_child/results3nestor.html
sort of

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Actually this T looks dehydrated the middle of the abdomen looks sunken in.

Here is a picture of my Birdeater, even after molt she still had a big abdomen and she STILL eats even though her abdomen is huge. IF anyone wants a pig for a tarantula bird eaters are the way to go.

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey I just feed my slings until they stop to eat I have one just eat and eat she was huge

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Actually this T looks dehydrated the middle of the abdomen looks sunken in.

Here is a picture of my Birdeater, even after molt she still had a big abdomen and she STILL eats even though her abdomen is huge. IF anyone wants a pig for a tarantula bird eaters are the way to go.

Nice looking pink salmon...I got one from a show, she is about 6"-7" but hasn't ate since I got her....that was about (2) weeks ago. I think maybe she is in pre-molt.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice looking pink salmon...I got one from a show, she is about 6"-7" but hasn't ate since I got her....that was about (2) weeks ago. I think maybe she is in pre-molt.
Try to see if you can watch out for it so you can video tape it or just get pictures for it sheddin step by step.

If you look through the post on the "tarantula annoucements" you'll see my name there and pictures of my Bird eater molting step by step

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Try to see if you can watch out for it so you can video tape it or just get pictures for it sheddin step by step.

If you look through the post on the "tarantula annoucements" you'll see my name there and pictures of my Bird eater molting step by step
I will try...is it un-common for a pink salmon to not eat I heard they are eating machines.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think it was purchased like that and was thought to be gravid...so that was most likely NOT overfeeding.

(if someone can dig up the story)

The photo off of bugguide is probably a healthy weight...since that is a wild tarantula.