Look at this brick of coconut fiber i found

Duc de Blangis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'm sure there are better deals but i picked up this 11.5 lb brick at a local hydroponics store for 13$ plus tax. The smaller one is shown for scale.

Last edited:

Profkrakatoa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh my! If that stuff expands like I've heard the little bricks do, that would be enough for a lot of T's!!

jeepinwu2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's a real good deal! Yes it expands but only cut off what you need to hydrate and keep the rest dry.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good deal and thanks for the laugh!

I'm on my laptop right now, and when I first clicked on the post I could only see the little brick. I was sitting there wondering how to politely tell you that you got hosed :D

That big one is a great deal for $13!

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
where did you get that???? i would love to see the ingredients list...

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I just started using this stuff and it's great, I love the smell of it. I didn't realise how big it got tho so I made the whole brick that I bought wet, and ended up with waaaay too much dirt for my sling pots, lol. So now I have a bit bucket of dirt sitting in my room drying out so I can put it all in a bag.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just let it dry out and keep it in a container that allows ventilation. Then you have it ready for your next new T or the next cage cleaning.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How is that stuff as far as mold growth and bacteria? Is it better that peat?

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well personally I have noticed a little mould on cricket remains after just being in there a day. But all the coconut fibre in my sling pots is damp and there's a lot of condensation. When the rest of it all dries out I plan to swap out the pots with it in so my slings will all be on dry substrate, because their pots are too small for enough ventilation to dry it out at the moment. It's ok, I just have to be careful to remove cricket remains straight away. I'm sure if it's dry it will be no more likely to get mouldy than peat, I haven't had any signs of mould in the one big tank I have it in with an adult spider.

tarantellajen

Arachnopeon
coco

good deal, I use it and it does mold pretty fast on remains if it gets 2 moist. I have had a big mite breakout in a sling container but immediatly changed it out, poked more holes in the container, and let it dry out a little...haven't had that problem since.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like coir better than peat as it has a looser consistency and larger pieces. Peat tends to get everywhere and is dusty. Plus, coir is a more environmentally sound product than peat.

I agree though, what hydroponics store did you get that from?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
where did you get that???? i would love to see the ingredients list...
did you see my ~20-30lb brick i got at "francisco's" store? i brought it to the bbq (along with me 20" tweezers, heh)

Well personally I have noticed a little mould on cricket remains after just being in there a day. But all the coconut fibre in my sling pots is damp and there's a lot of condensation. When the rest of it all dries out I plan to swap out the pots with it in so my slings will all be on dry substrate, because their pots are too small for enough ventilation to dry it out at the moment. It's ok, I just have to be careful to remove cricket remains straight away. I'm sure if it's dry it will be no more likely to get mouldy than peat, I haven't had any signs of mould in the one big tank I have it in with an adult spider.
really, you most likely wouldn't want to keep a spider on substrate that prevented mold growth on cricket remains. something *that* antibiotic would probably hurt the spiders or whatever pet bugs lived on it

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I get something similar, enough to do a 40 gallon tank for about $10 at Fred Meyer's.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heck ya i saw that bag andrew that was from frisco???was that like the regular bed-a-beast stuff or something different?