Hottentotta judaicus - Communal Setup

Fauxshow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is my first attempt at an honest-to-goodness enclosure. I still have a lot to learn, any suggestions re: this species or other desert species would be greatly appreciated!

16 Hottentotta judaicus (unsexed, but 1-2 appear to be gravid)
122x46x33 cm (48x18x13 in) acrylic
4 x 100W IR bulbs (w/ intensity control)
28/33C (82/92F) night/day w/ photo-period
1.5 cm peat, 2 cm sand top-layer

Female?

Feeding:

This one prefers dark meat, I guess:

Dunked:

Crowding: (not an issue, apparently)

Spermatophores: (found 4 in one night)

I've learned a lot in the past 2 months. A HUGE pound-pound to all my scorpion nerds!

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You have an AWESOME setup, can't be any better. So far it looks like they're doing more than fine. Good luck!

Mr. Quick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your pics are so good, it looks like your scorpions actually pose for the camera....

Fauxshow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all the comments!!! I haven't been in the hobby long enough to have a favorite species but these guys have set the bar pretty high. Even my wife is down with them...and she used to HATE scorpions. Besides something nice to look at, the goal is to get babies, babies, and more babies! {D :D

Trexer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thats totally awesome mate :), lovely set ups and nice scorpions :), i wish my emperor was a bit more active, i never see him unless i lift up the peice of cork he lives under lol

Fauxshow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
great set-up and beautiful scorp's, do u keep those lights on 24/7 ?
Thanks man! The 2 outer lights switch off at night. They tend to follow the heat...in this case, right over the flat-rock at night *wink wink* ... if you get my drift.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice set-up I cant see them on this computer but I took a look at them from school earlier. Awesome species. I admit I am a bit jealous.
Eddy

mkieff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Amazing setup... I really like it, wish I had the space for something like that.

R.W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I want one!:drool: :drool: :drool:

Do you happen to have slighlty more detailed list of materials. If you don't mind I might try to build something like this. With all the credit for the idea going to you of course.;)

Fauxshow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice set-up I cant see them on this computer but I took a look at them from school earlier. Awesome species. I admit I am a bit jealous.
Eddy
Whatever! Well I'm just glad a SoCal scorp-magnate like yourself approves :worship:

-Chris

Fauxshow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I want one!:drool: :drool: :drool:

Do you happen to have slighlty more detailed list of materials. If you don't mind I might try to build something like this. With all the credit for the idea going to you of course.;)
Something like this:
• 48x18x13" acrylic enclosure w/ mesh top, compliments of Big Apple Herp
• 35-40 lbs of red sand, some peat
• 24 flat rocks of varying size (BAHerp has a good price for a set)
• 9 small flower pots
• 1 saucer (used for flower pots)
• A set of fake rock barriers for gardening, coated with textured paint
• 4 100W bulbs (Ikea housings) with 2x dimmer switches
• A set of Ikea lights (w/ UV filter and dimmer switch)
• A couple of timers

It'd put the grand total (w/ tax & shipping) at ~$435-450. Feel free to ask me anytime you have a question.

-Chris

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is pretty incredible, nice work. I'm keeping a mental record in my head of your setup so when I have time, money and access to the species I can steal it ;) if that's allright by you. And it's not like me to steal ideas showing how nice yours is! :D

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That, without a question, is the BEST setup I've ever seen.

VERY PROFESSIONAL! :D

I'm sure your scorps are just LOVING their home.

Zdravko

Arachnopeon
The setup looks amazing:worship:
Beautiful and suitable for the scorpions:clap:
For some time i'm interested in scorps and just want to ask, in such communal how it's possible to know if some of the animals do not feed regularly.
You just put some crickets in? I suppose so... but I'm not sure:D The scorpions know what they have to do to survive. But however, am I on the right path?:?

Fauxshow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The setup looks amazing:worship:
Beautiful and suitable for the scorpions:clap:
For some time i'm interested in scorps and just want to ask, in such communal how it's possible to know if some of the animals do not feed regularly.
You just put some crickets in? I suppose so... but I'm not sure:D The scorpions know what they have to do to survive. But however, am I on the right path?:?
Thanks Zdravko! Its not something you can closely monitor as you do with scorplings. I usually drop 12-14 crickets in at night and VOILA. No more crickets in the morning. From time to time, a crick manages to delay the inevitable by squeezing in between flat rock but its only matter of time until a scorp finds him.

Anyway, my experience is that feed distribution works itself out just fine. Perhaps if you did single out an under-nourished specimen, you could tong-feed?