Rose Hair tarantula

emily1123

Arachnopeon
Does anybody here have a rose hair tarantula? What do you house him in? I have one, but she doesn't seem to like her enclosure very much...any tips would be greatly appreciated.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just about everyone has or had a G. Rosea at one point or another. For housing, use dry substrate (eco earth or bedabeast, some sort of coco fiber) and provide a hide with a water dish.

More importantly, what do you have it on now??

emily1123

Arachnopeon
i have her on sand..
someone told me to try to keep it moist though?
should it be dry?

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Get her off of the sand immediately they don't like it, it's not good for them, and they'll stress out. Rosies tend to like it dry, not moist. if the substrate is too wet, they'll hang out on top of their hide. what kind of tank or container is it in?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Damn, Usambara! Beat me to the punch that time! :}

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Make sure you read that link posted a couple posts back, lots of good info. there. Just to add, I keep my rosie (adult female) in a large kritter keeper with about 3'' - 4'' of DRY bed-a-beast for substrate, a water dish and a small flower pot half buried for her hide. She hasn't complained once... :D

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've always housed mine in an at least 5.5gal critter keeper or aquarium with 3/4 the cage full of bone dry 100% peat moss, with a hide and water dish. Never ever had any problems!{D

-Matty

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have her on sand..
someone told me to try to keep it moist though?
should it be dry?
Sand...no way in my opinion.......I would use Eco-earth substrate.....and not moist....as dry as possible....put in a water dish and you are set. When you get a rosires substrate moist.....they hate it and start climbing.....rob

emily1123

Arachnopeon
thanks everyone! i changed out her substrate yesterday. she is in vermiculite now, hopefully she will like it a lot more

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For housing, use dry substrate (eco earth or bedabeast, some sort of coco fiber) and provide a hide with a water dish.
I keep my rosie (adult female) in a large kritter keeper with about 3'' - 4'' of DRY bed-a-beast for substrate
I've always housed mine in an at least 5.5gal critter keeper or aquarium with 3/4 the cage full of bone dry 100% peat moss, with a hide and water dish.
I would use Eco-earth substrate.....and not moist....as dry as possible....
i changed out her substrate yesterday. she is in vermiculite now, hopefully she will like it a lot more

...........:wall:

Vermiculite is an improvement over sand. You may find however that she hates it too, she may not. If you still have problems a couple of weeks from now try using peat or coconut coir (sold as bed-a-beast, eco-earth, etc) Almost all my t's are on peat mix and a few of the moister, burrowing species are on coco coir because it retains moisture better.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmmmm perhaps i jumped a little quickly, i'm kinda punchy today. Sorry for that.

My opinion is that vermiculite alone is only good for arboreals who rarely touch the ground and need lots of humidity. It seems to stick to terrestrial t's feet and bristles (fur) and they don't like it so much. Also they can't burrow in it at all because it's too light and fluffy. It's still better than sand. This is where opinions can differ. I'm not saying the Shultz's are wrong, they've been working w/ tarantula's since i was i kindergarten and vermiculite is ok according to them.

I prefer to put my dryness loving T's like G rosea on slightly moistened peat and once it's dried out it stays dry. The moistness is really for dust control more than anything. It's more natural and if they choose to dig they can. At this point i'd say leave her be and see if she takes to the vermiculite then great. If after 2 weeks she's still climbing the walls or sitting constantly on top of a log or something (avoiding contact with the substrate) then you may want to switch it out for peat.

Don't let bossy keepers like me discourage you or anything. These t's we love are extremely resilient creatures. You could probably keep one on broken glass in a cardboard box and it would survive as long as it had water and 2 crickets a year, lol.

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
COCONUT FIBER!!!!

Mother of god! Why do people ask a question and then not listen to the answer????!!!!!!

Use Eco-earth or bed a beast or any other kind of coconut fiber bedding. It's better than peat. Just make sure it's mostly dry before you put the spider in there or it will do nothing but hang on the walls.

Put about 3 to 4 inches deep with a place to hide and a water dish. If you like you can sprinkle some smooth natural aquarium stones on top just for looks. (makes it look natural)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There is NOTHING WRONG with peat moss, leave the huge text at home. I use peat for all my Ts, moist or dry as species needs, and have done so for a couple years now. No problems, no complaints.

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Emily, I too use peat moss. However, I have used vermiculite with more than G. rosea and never had any problems with it. They lay down a fine layer of silk over the substrate most of the time anyway. The only trouble you might have with it is if your T clearly doesn't like it (climbs the walls, shakes her feet like a cat walking on snow or other such behaviors) or is small enough to still burrow a lot. Because it is very loose it seems difficult to burrow in which is what made me switch to peat even before I found the boards and that most of us use either peat or coconut fiber. I personally have had more mold problems with coconut fiber so, I only keep my more moisture loving species on it. Read the link, enjoy your T, and welcome to the boards.

---Jen

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There is NOTHING WRONG with peat moss, leave the huge text at home. I use peat for all my Ts, moist or dry as species needs, and have done so for a couple years now. No problems, no complaints.
I agree. I've always used peat moss and never had any problems. Back when i first joined this forum everyone agreed on peat moss....

-Matty