Climbing walls?

emily1123

Arachnopeon
My t likes to climb the glass walls oh her aquarium occasionally, but sometimes she isn't able to climb up..its like her feet cant get a good grasp.
Is this normal? are the walls dirty or something?

NeitherSparky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is normal, and if anything I'd say maybe the glass is too clean. ;) They can climb it much better after they've put down a fine layer of web that you may not even be able to see. I've watched one of my t's just climb around, spraying web from her fanned-out spinnerettes, spraying it on the ground, the plant, and the glass too.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What species is your tarantula? Aboreals shouldn't have any problems, Terrestrials shouldn't be climbing.
John

emily1123

Arachnopeon
she is G rosea

even though they are terrestrial, i have heard many stories about other peoples roseas climbing as well

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
she is G rosea

even though they are terrestrial, i have heard many stories about other peoples roseas climbing as well
Try using the search button. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been discussed. The usual reason is the substrate, to wet, wrong stuff, ect. If you have a mature male they will roam all over the place no matter how they are set up. I'd be worried about a heavy tarantula falling of the wall. A bad fall could be fatal. Their abdomens can rupture.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
My G rosea had some trouble climbing glass when i got it. A month later, it molted. Now it can climb glass with ease. So, maybe yours in in need of a molt.

TheSoulja

Arachnopeon
Plain and simple

Rosie=Weirdest Species EVER! They do everything behaviorally possible :D

Ive even seen mine be in a bad mood one day and the happiest T in the world the next.

Good luck though

~Matt~

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Plain and simple

Rosie=Weirdest Species EVER! They do everything behaviorally possible :D

Ive even seen mine be in a bad mood one day and the happiest T in the world the next.

Good luck though

~Matt~
Absolute truth there, especially when it comes to being handleable!
Good luck indeed.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
she is G rosea

I've owned a handful of G.rosea in my life, and they ALL climbed.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here's what you guys are missing...

The OP posted a question about G. rosea earlier not knowing a thing about it:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=115437

Now the OP is posting about the rosie climbing, probably without reading the link given in the 'how do i take care of my rosie' thread.

It's climbing because she's using wet sand as substrate. Not because it likes climbing.

Emily, here is the link for the fourth time:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292

Please read it. It's very helpful.

Last edited:

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Often before a moult their scopula pads are 'worn out' and they can't grasp shiny surfaces.

XHEXDX: the problem is it can't climb, not "why is it climbing"

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My t likes to climb the glass walls oh her aquarium occasionally, but sometimes she isn't able to climb up..its like her feet cant get a good grasp.
Is this normal? are the walls dirty or something?

Hmm...I guess I interpreted it as asking if it's normal for her to climb walls, not normal for her to not get a grip.

I think others interpreted it this way, too. Maybe we just need some clarification.

EDIT: Now that I look back at everyone's responses, it seems they all interpreted it the same way I did.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm...I guess I interpreted it as asking if it's normal for her to climb walls, not normal for her to not get a grip.

I think others interpreted it this way, too. Maybe we just need some clarification.

EDIT: Now that I look back at everyone's responses, it seems they all interpreted it the same way I did.
Either way, if the T is being kept on wet sand THAT is the problem, period. If it was on proper substrate it probably wouldn't be climbing anyway.

Climbing is normal but often indicates a substrate problem. It is also normal for a terrestrial T to have difficulty climbing, especially if a molt is imminent. All the more reason to read the G rosea sticky and set the tank up accordingly.

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've read this thread 4 times trying to figure out where the OP said ANYTHING about her substrate, and she hasn't. She is asking why her rosea is having trouble climbing. We can't control a terrestrials behavior, and they climb in nature, so really, is it necessary to get on to the OP for that? I don't have an answer as to why the spider is having trouble, but I do notice that my MM Avic avic has trouble when I spray the tank down - he can't go ANYWHERE. It may have something to do with that; too moist and too smooth may make a rosea that needs a olt have trouble climbing.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She mentioned in a previous post about the same T that it was being kept on damp sand. The post was linked earlier on in this thread.

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well... I'm just curious and I dont mean to thread jack, but I don't feel like starting a new topic. I have a Chaco Golden Knee (Grammostola aureostriata) he is darkening a bit on his but and his legs haven't darkened much at all... he is having trouble climbing aswell... does that narrow it down to a near molt aswell?