Lets all point and laugh people...

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20321234/

Man turns over angry pet spider to SPCA
Tarantula, which can jump 3 feet, had started rearing up and showing fangs
Baboon spiders can jump three feet when they rear up on the hind legs. Its large fangs can also deliver a painful bite.

updated 1:25 p.m. CT, Fri., Aug. 17, 2007
ROCKY POINT, N.Y. - A New York man knew it was time to give up on his unusual pet when his Baboon Spider began to rear up on its hind legs and show its large fangs.

The Long Island man recognized the warning signs and called the Suffolk County SPCA which picked up the spider this week.

SPCA Chief Roy Gross says the Ornate Golden Baboon spider is a type of tarantula that can be moody. When it rears up on its hind legs, it can jump three feet and will bite with its large fangs.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He says the spider can live for 25 years, and doesn’t make a good pet because it is very protective of its nest.

Its bite is painful and its venom can make a person sick.

The spider’s natural habitat is southern Africa.
I just LOVE the enlightenment people show about tarantulas in this day and age...

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ROFLOL.

Ah, you never know, do ya? I wonder what he was doing with it before, that it DIDN'T give him a threat posture?

Too bad the story is a bit old. I'd have called right up and said, "Hey! Send it right on over!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
old news, i think there have been 3-4 threads on this long ago

Sabatta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
With all the media sensationalism and network competition I'm surprised they didn't tase the little guy.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They'll most likely put it in a cage so small that it barely turn around in, then overfeed it, and let it deficate all over itself. Then, when it starts to rot from the outside in, they will let it suffer, until someone obtains a court order to have it "humanely" euthanized...After all, thats what they do to dogs, that is if they aren't shot to death in the initial frenzy of enforcement against the constitution.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They'll most likely put it in a cage so small that it barely turn around in, then overfeed it, and let it deficate all over itself. Then, when it starts to rot from the outside in, they will let it suffer, until someone obtains a court order to have it "humanely" euthanized...After all, thats what they do to dogs, that is if they aren't shot to death in the initial frenzy of enforcement against the constitution.
uhhh... wow dude :eek:

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They sent it to a MA "pet sanctuary" where I am sure it is receiving adequate care. The early articles on the story were horrible, as you show above. This one that came out a day or two later is better: even if they did misquote me when I said the venom wasn't 'dangerous' to humans.

http://www.bloggossip.com/index.php?id=26840

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Disturbing but you have a good point and you are probably right.