My new Microscope!!!!!

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
My half of the $$ from a sac of T's has given me the ability to purchase my very own 7x - 45x zooming Stereoscope. complete with trinocular head.

Here it is with camera mounted to the photo-tube in the trinocular head:

Another shot showing the camera ( still working on that interface ):

The eyepieces are 30mm across I kid you not:

and it all came with a nice case:

Was nervous buying an offbrand scope over the internet... but decent used Stereoscopes are still very expensive.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i like it alot...i was looking at one similar, so when you start getting pics please post i'd love to see how it looks...

wayne

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How much was it, i love the set-up!!!
Post some molt pics, love to see it in action.

PIG

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A very impressive looking set up! What subjects in particular will you be concentrating on photographing? Years ago in science class, I loved looking at samples of pond water under a microscope and seeing all sorts of weird life forms.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Nerri,

Very cool :)

Was nervous buying an offbrand scope over the internet...
No worries with that company IMO. At least I've never had any complaints with scopes from them that I've used in the past.

I'm getting a new trinoc from the same company in the next few months, but am getting one with a boom arm... THIS ONE.

Any first thoughts on it yet? I'd like to hear your thoughts on it after you've had the chance to use it a bit.

Eric

Nerri1029

Old Timer
What kind of interface do you use?

I use the Celestron telesccope camera mount ( very stable ) and slide a 10X eyepiece in the tube.

They make specialized camera adaptors, but those are pricey as well.

It seems the one you are looking at and mine are identical except for the base. I am decently pleased withthe optics. esp for the price.

but I am still testing it out..

here's a pic from first round.

Last edited:

Nerri1029

Old Timer
The Moment of TRUTH

OK Sunday morning and had time to throw an exuvium under this scope.

all I can say is WOW... the 3D is amazing.. sexing will be easier with this scope.

Now for my second reason to have a scope PICS!

this one was fairly normal lighting.. the uterus externus is obvious as well as the spermathecae behind it poking out..

for this pic I grabbed my mounted LED flashlight and spotted the subject for some whiter natural light. You can see at this magnification 35x - 40x the plane of focus gets tight.

for both pics I was shooting with my Fuji FinePix F470 through a 10X eyepiece in the vid tube using the celestron mount, with macro setting chosen and 10sec timer on the camera.

could I get better pics? sure.. but for $50 for the mount, and $145 for the camera.. I'm more than satisfied with these results.

Co workers at school use there DSLR and the school's $350 interface system to shoot through $5,000 scopes.. so I've seen what that can do.. and I'm happy.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe I have that same scope.... no problems here. I use it for checking molts from time to time as well. I don't yet have a camera set up on mine. Did you buy a third party camera adapter?

Nerri1029

Old Timer
if yours already has the trinocular head.. all you need is a 10x eyepiece to slide into it and this:

it will hold your camera in the right place.
I picked mine up through Amazon I believe... worth every penny.

at work we use
http://www.microscope-depot.com/digadapt.asp?DCID=227

but I tried it with my scope and got very similar results. nothing worth the $300 difference..

Stick

Arachnopeon
Ok, I think I am asking for us all when I ask, what was the price tag on this set-up?

Nerri1029

Old Timer
Scope was $500-ish
Celestron camera mount was ~$50 with shipping.
Camera - $170 ( just a 6.0 Mpix from Fuji with decent macro and a large view screen )

I was leary spending $500 on a scope ( thinking it was too cheap )
At work, I get to play with $5K Nikon scopes.. so kinda like the Ferrari test driver buying a Ford.

BTW I'm very pleased.

You can find some decent used scopes on E-bay..
I chose this one due to the Zoom ability.. but you can do well with a scope that is 20x and 40x

Are you considereing getting a scope?
there is a thread on that very topic

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah mine looks pretty much like yours except I think you have the newest version of it. Mine is trinocular as well. I thought about buying the USB camera that is made for it. I like your set up, however, I thought you had to have a small piece that connected the camera lens to the eyepiece. Your setup looks as if the mount is just holding the camera lens flush with the eyepiece with nothing in between.

Great photos tho..... makes me want to get mine set up...

Nerri1029

Old Timer
yeah mine looks pretty much like yours except I think you have the newest version of it. Mine is trinocular as well. I thought about buying the USB camera that is made for it. I like your set up, however, I thought you had to have a small piece that connected the camera lens to the eyepiece. Your setup looks as if the mount is just holding the camera lens flush with the eyepiece with nothing in between.

Great photos tho..... makes me want to get mine set up...
Yes you are right.. If extraneous light is a prob you could use some black paper or something to make a shield. I may do that to see if it changes anything.. but I like to see how close my lens is to the eyepiece.