Singapore blue trouble

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I moved my singapore blue into a new terrarium like glass tank that i built myself using silicone and greatstuff foam. i thought i covered all the foam with silicone as i placed peatmoss overtop so it would stick to the fake walls but today i realized i didnt. The singapore blue has been in the cage for 5 months now and i have been away at school. my mother has been taking good care of it. Its plump and healthy. about 31/2 to 4 inches. anyways today i wanted to see it outside of its funnelweb, so i poked around and realized there was no movement from the blue. i proceeded to destroy some of its funnel to witness it fall/slide out of the bottom into the dirt.. not moving much at all... I picked it up and put it into an incubation chamber with high ventilation and moisture..

Now its funnel web was up against the bare foam(it has ripped off the peat moss where there was no silicone barrier.

Now my mother claims it was moving yesterday but i didnt see any movement.

The tarantula looks nice and healthy aside for the not moving.no death curl here, its limbs are movable and slightly springy.

All i can think of is

1- it just recently died for no reason
2- its paralized or poisoned by being next to the bare foam
3- its going to molt

But ive never witnessed a tarantula like this before a molt...

I stretched his limbs out a little here... still hasnt moved
HELPPP

Last edited:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I moved my singapore blue into a new terrarium like glass tank that i built myself using silicone and greatstuff foam. i thought i covered all the foam with solicone as i placed peatmoss overtop so it would stick to the fake walls but today i realized i didnt. The singapore blue has been in the cage for 5 months now and i have been away at school. my mother has been taking good care of it. Its plump and healthy. about 31/2 to 4 inches. anyways today i wanted to see it outside of its funnelweb, so i poked around and realized there was no movement from the blue. i proceeded to destroy some of its funnel to witness it fall/slide out of the bottom into the dirt.. not moving much at all... I picked it up and put it into an incubation chamber with high ventilation and moisture..

Now its funnel web was up against the bare foam(it has ripped off the peat moss where there was no silicone barrier.

Now my mother claims it was moving yesterday but i didnt see any movement.

The tarantula looks nice and healthy aside for the not moving.no death curl here, its limbs are movable and slightly springy.

All i can think of is

1- it just recently died for no reason
2- its paralized or poisoned by being next to the bare foam
3- its going to molt

But ive never witnessed a tarantula like this before a molt...

HELPPP

I'm guessing it was going to molt in the web and you dumped it out. lay it in the ICU on its back and keep it warm and humid and ventilated and wait. If its molting you should know in a few hours . at any rate leave it alone till it smells abd or molds or something else that positively IDs it as a dead bug

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it doesnt look good. there is no movement at all. not even fang movement. i flipped it over in the icu... this is soo sad. i raised it from a sling.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i wouldnt use the expandable foam in any T cage. I know people do it but...
If i ever did, I would do it in thin layers allowed to cure fully before adding to it

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

i put some water drops in its mouth to see if it would suck any up, but i didnt see any drinking so i spunged it up with a q tip.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the abdomin was very soft.. how soft is it supposed to be? If it was molting i would expect the abdomin to be a darker shade, and a little firmer.

i spread the body out in a cardboard box and put it in my freezer.A

I hate to say it but hese gone..:(

I have a tarantula mounted that i purchased a year ago. i believe the dead tarantula was just dried out and placed in this enclosed display box with cotton backing it. I think im going to try this approach but put silicone behind the cotton
heres a picture

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think you mighta jumped the gun on this one...:wall:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the abdomen is soft ...it it werent it couldnt expand when feeding or being gravid.
Did you not read to leave it alone till it smelled bad or showed signs of decomposing?
Ts fake us out sometimes.
anyway, being frozen is a sure sign its dead...

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no i picked it up after leaving it on its back for an hour or so. ive been watching ti the whole time. no movement. when i picked it up it was totally limp. it was indeed dead. I gave it emple chances to respond. I didnt even get fang movement. i guess i could have waited until morning but i didnt want to risk any decomposing or parasites infecting it.

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
against my judgement i decided to take it out of the freezer. its back in incubation, but i dont expect much. well see in the morning. it was in a box in the freezer for about 10 minutes, so it didnt get too too cold. w/e well see...

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Singapore blue's are weird. One of mine died for no apparent reason! It just sat outside its burrow and died. No death curl or anything!

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats really weird , but good to know, thanks for posting.

I wonder if theres something wrong with the species. Ive heard of at least 2 other cases of singapore blues just dying.

macjizzle

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mine also died for no apparent reason, outside of it's burrow. well it wasn't dead but it was really weak, no real death curl. but i think mine died of dehydration... don't really know. =(

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i kept mine very humid and it always had water sprayed in the tank. i thought i was keeping excellent conditions for it. it must have been the foam, its the only thing i can think of. god damn shame as its a sweet cage.

Struckanerve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if it was the foam. the only thing i can think of is u were spraying the tank way to much. so the foam got bad after a while. i have a singapore blue with that foam as the background. but i never mist the tank, she has a water dish. the humidty is always around 50 to 70.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it is indeed dead now through everything it went through I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Upon reading over this thread for the first time now, I can't help but notice that there is barely any time at all passed between laying it in the ICU and then putting it into the freezer. 66 minutes to be precise between postings.

If it was moulting it may have been sitting in a 'rest' period prior or during the process of moulting. The fact it had itself in its' web would be consistent with pre-moult behaviour although it does not guarantee it. In addition, moulting can take several hours, I'm not aware of the longest time but have read several reports of very long (5-8 hour) moults taking place.

I merely am pointing this out because I realise it's a stressful situation to be in when you're concerned about a T, but as I was once very wisely told, keeping Ts enforces patients. I think possibly that you could have not worried about pests/bugs etc if the T started decaying, at least we would all know for absolute sure that the T was infact dead. I just feel that too many 'maybe's remain through the sequence of events that unfolded.

I'm not trying to berate you over this, I just feel that next time it will probably serve you well to realise that Ts often pull weird tricks, and/or that things sometimes take time. Provided the T was in an ICU and warm, you coulda left him there for a few days before declaring it dead and you'd still probably have a good specimen to display as I suspect you're attached to him as you raised him.

I'm sorry again for the loss of your T

Bryn

1:48am
i put some water drops in its mouth to see if it would suck any up, but i didnt see any drinking so i spunged it up with a q tip.
2:42am

i spread the body out in a cardboard box and put it in my freezer.A

I hate to say it but hese gone..:(

sinflspeed

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it wasn't dead or dying to begin with you surely walked it to heavens gates. It seemed as if you had a general idea of what you were going to do before even posing a question here. Why ask if you were going to do everything oppisite of the advice given. Sorry for you loss man but don't be so ready to throw in the towel. Not trying to berate you either but there was no reason for you jump the gun and keep messing with it every few minutes.