My acrylic cages

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I finally got a lil time and most of my supplies inorder to start my new project, my own cages.

Its a challenge, but its starting to look pretty good. I'm making these 6x6x12, these should hold most of tree lovers for some time.

The shell

Adding the strate retainer

Adding hinges

Next I need to cut the top, add the airholes with a drill press, cut and add the floor and I'm finished with my first cage.

I'll update this tomorrow with the finished cage, too tired to finish tonight. I have enough to make about 10, hope to fill them with mature avis, psalmos, and a few pokies:D

PIG-

bakaichi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
looking good~
look more cleaner the the one i made :p

btw what is the thickness of the acrylic sheed you are using ?

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I love building enclosures out of acrylic. That solvent cement is magic. I have a hard time with the cutting, though (the edge has to be practically perfect for the cement to work right). I really need a table saw. Is that how you did yours?

Good luck and I hope they work out as well as they are already looking (i.e., very).

rwlangbauer

Arachnopeon
tempered mirror

your plastic work looks really good. i haven't seen that out of anyone who wasn't a pro.

i just built my little girl a new enclosure -- i hate the word cage - it sounds so medevil. i built it out of plate aluminum, heavy aluminium angle, tempered glass & tempered mirror. the mirror cost a fortune but she enjoys doing her hair (setea) in it. it is 2.5m x 3/4m x 3/4m (8' x 2' x2'). the minute she got into it she was in heaven. she had been in an enclosure 1/4 the size. she was bored out her mind. imagine being incarcerated in a 6 x 9 cell & think how you would feel.

i know that many will object to the size. i don't know if their objections are not spawned by pecuniary interests. she gets what she wants. okay, she has me wrapped around her little tarsus. guilty.

plastic has definate advantages but only in the short term. i expect this one to be @ my funeral. i spent a little more but amortized over its service life -- the enclosure was free.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The thickness is 3/16, i used a table saw with a saw blade made specifically for plastic, the blade was about $75.00, the more teeth the blade has the cleaner it cuts.

Thanks for the compliments!!!

PIG-

rwlangbauer

Arachnopeon
plastic

i just read some of the other responses. plastic fabrication is not that hard but not for everyone. to answer what i can (i may be an md but i have a # of intense hobbies.)

there are a # of solvent welds. differentiated mainly by speed. some of the slower ones are also "bodied up" (thickened w/ additional plastic). while you will not get as clean a joint, they will forgive more errors in fabrication.

the table saw is the standard tool, although; in a full shop there are several tools which would work. get a carbide triple chip blade for your saw. it will produce a much sweeter cut w/o the chip-out. @ home w/ limited means, i would try a router & a guide. rough it out a little full w/ whatever saw is available. then spend some time placing a guide. then use the router w/ a really gentle touch. think of it as a tarantula/woman. force will get you nowhere.

i have never tried to glue up acylic thinner than 5mm (1/4") thick. i'm sure it is possible. i just don't see the cost savings.

finally i think all of you can get to a TAP plastics. not great prices for sheet goods but often informative. if worse comes to worst, they have a minimum wage high school kid who is probably better @ making pieces of plastic stick to each other than i am.

bugster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
looks like somebody's about to give tarantulacages.com a run for their money!! :)

Btw, i guess it's just a exuvium, but it looks like you have an escapee in Pic #1. LOL!! :);P

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
looks like somebody's about to give tarantulacages.com a run for their money!! :)

Btw, i guess it's just a exuvium, but it looks like you have an escapee in Pic #1. LOL!! :);P
The container beneath that exuvivum is a 2.5" P pulcher, recently molted:)

PIG-

bugster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
SWEET!! Yea, i figured. Just a little early morning humor. :) He's gonna like his new home when he's big enough.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You have the skills to make acrylic enclosures for sure.

I still make these for making silicone molds, but that kinda ruined me for making them for T's. When I look at them now I see a mold box. But when I made them for T's, I cut three small pieces of acrylic and formed a water bowl in one corner. I drilled a hole directly above it to drip fill the water dish. One of my pet peeves is an enclosure you have to open to fill the water dish.

* just an idea, and my opinion.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You have the skills to make acrylic enclosures for sure.

I still make these for making silicone molds, but that kinda ruined me for making them for T's. When I look at them now I see a mold box. But when I made them for T's, I cut three small pieces of acrylic and formed a water bowl in one corner. I drilled a hole directly above it to drip fill the water dish. One of my pet peeves is an enclosure you have to open to fill the water dish.

* just an idea, and my opinion.

DUDE, great minds, what I intend on doing, is in one corner of the enclosure is driling a hole and attaching aquarium grade hard tubing and running it down to a spot where the water bowl will go, then if you need to go on vacation someone can add water to cages without fear of getting bit or losing one of your spiders!!

PIG-

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It looks fabulous mate. I look forward to seeing the finished result with new occupant :D xx

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But when I made them for T's, I cut three small pieces of acrylic and formed a water bowl in one corner. I drilled a hole directly above it to drip fill the water dish. One of my pet peeves is an enclosure you have to open to fill the water dish.
I have the same peeve. I built an acrylic enclosure and made one corner into a water bowl, then drilled a hold in the side of the wall there below the water line and built and outside container for the water. So I add water to a pool connected but outside the enclosure and it flows in. I love it. I never have to open the enclosure except to throw food in there. If I want to clean out/replace the water, I suck it out of the outside pool using a turkey baster, then refill.

Optimizing enclosures is part of the joy of this hobby, I think.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here the floor has been added, the lid has been cut and dry fitted. I'm off to the drill press to add air holes. I need to add a hasp and then I'm done.

A lil decor for motivation.

Enjoy
PIG-

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:drool: Wow Pig that looks awesome. I want to get a uniform look in my T room and if you start making these to sell please, please, please let me know. I haven’t tried to make my own but anytime I work with plexi I screw it up so I’m not even going to attempt an enclosure :8o

Seriously you did a great job :clap: