• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Bonnetina cyaneifemur

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well this could be it. I have a MM on loan from AB user "local hero". The female has been bred 3 times with the male over the course of the last month. The last time she was bred was yesterday and the whole courtship lasted for 15 minutes. Today she began webbing herself in. She is very skittish so I refuse to bother opening the cage for photos. She ate her last egg sac at day 19 and I am taking no chances just in case she is making another one right now. Her abdomen is not dark but she could be going into premolt. I am crossing my fingers and have a mechanical mom on standby. :cool:

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She is definately not molting. She has been actively webbing in for several hours now. :clap:

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She completed her egg sac early this morning and is currently holding onto it and rotating it. I will leave it with her for 5-7 days and then pull it to go in the mechanical mom. X-ing fingers. :D

Last edited:

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Update. Successful, maybe. I pulled the egg sac very prematurely. She did not lay enough silk to contain the contents of the egg sac. No eggs spilled out but some of the fluid did. There were also mites inside the egg sac. I discarded some bad eggs and stitched the egg sac closed. After less than 72 hours passed I had transfered all the eggs into a leftover egg sac I kept from my L. parahybana. It was in really good shape so I spread out the eggs and removed all the mites and then stiched them shut into their new egg sac. I have been incubating them in the mechanical mom at 85 degrees and 60%-70% humidity. I will open the sac in about 2 weeks from today to see if there are any signs of development. The eggs may not be fertile but I am hoping some managed to soak up what they needed.

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The eggs didn't make it. I incubated them in the new sac for a a week and then removed them into a hammock incubator to monitor their progress. Day after day more and more eggs went bad until finally they were all gone. My guess is they didn't have time to absorb any sperm before all the fluid leaked out of the sac and onto the substrate. I have bred the same pair again in hopes of a double clutch but they are not known for that. Unfortunately the male will most likely die before she sheds and is able to be bred again. Maybe it will work out better next time if I am able to find another male.