Scolopendra hardwickei length

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
biggest one i've seen,
quite large Scolopendra hardwickei specimen,
21 cm BL (without antennae or terminals)

JonathanF

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Who could ever believe? Another beautiful pede now @ Steven's place ;)

Looks amazing! Comparing with your other specimen, this one's a little different- terminal legs are more orange. Are these from the same locality?

Also, the setup you keep it in, is it anything like it's natural enviroment? Any chance for a full setup-picture? And maybe a habitat picture if you have one? These S. hardwickei must be addictive.... :)

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Steven!

Congrats again, really impressive!
BTW nice job with the Photoshop! :D

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Also, the setup you keep it in, is it anything like it's natural enviroment? Any chance for a full setup-picture? And maybe a habitat picture if you have one? These S. hardwickei must be addictive.... :)
Hey Jonathan,
don't have any pictures of the actual habitat were it was found,
i can try to take some pictures of the enclosure if you want, but it's nothing special or much different then my other scolopendra-set-ups
i keep it on a mixture of pottingsoil and lime (the yellowish stuff ;) )
the only difference in keeping is that i try to stimulate the dry and wet seasons of the South-East India area, my specimen is from the area between Mysore,Bangalore and Madras, Pondicherry
it's a tropical wet/dry climate, with monsoons starting in October

distribution map Sc.hardwickei can be found here:
http://www.scolopendra.be/scolopendra_more.php?specie_id=34

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very nice Steven, i remember a long thread on these few years ago, few doubter's thought they weren't real. Amazing animal ;)

-Exotic

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice species man these guys pack a punch of a bite watch out {D

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, another painted one, hahahaha :p.

Great looking centipede, Steven... It looks huge!!!! Also, how many did you receive this time?

phil.

german shepard

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Where would you locate one of these to purchase?

Nice looking ped, I am interested and would love to find one. Where did you find yours Steve? Below is a listing of my current Pede's, along with a nice assortment of Tarantula's as well.
I would appreciate any assistance if anyone knows of a seller in the US that has this Pede, Thanks Marty (german shepard)

Centipedes:
0.0.1 Scolopendra De Hanni Cherry Leg 8"
0.0.1 Scolopendra Species Giant Chinese 9”
0.0.1 Scolopendra Chinese Tiger leg 6”
0.0.1 Scolopendra Thai Giant 8”
0.0.1 Scolopendra Species Giant Vietnamese 6” plus
0.0.1 Scolopendra Heros Heros 3”
0.0.1 Scolopendra Heros Castanecips 5”
0.0.1 Scolopendra Heros Arizonensis 5”
0.0.1 Scolopendra Polymorpha 3”
0.0.1 Scolopendra Morsitans 3"

jettubes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
man sorry to say but that thing looks painted. there is bits of black on the segment next to the black one. i can also see bits of orange on the black colored segments. its hard to say weather its a hoax or not. it just looks to corny for my liking. but them again i could be wrong and it could just be the way its colors happen to be.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
man sorry to say but that thing looks painted. there is bits of black on the segment next to the black one. i can also see bits of orange on the black colored segments. its hard to say weather its a hoax or not. it just looks to corny for my liking. but them again i could be wrong and it could just be the way its colors happen to be.
no need for sorry, many people don't believe the colors of hardwickei,
you can read more in this old topic on my previous hardwickei ;)

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=100940

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
how many did you receive this time?
Hey Phil,
i never get many specimen, always just 1 ;)

to everyone who's been mailing, asking me how to aquire these,
sorry can't help you guys out with Sc.hardwickei, i get these trough non-commercial channels.

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Steven,

Will you plan to breed them? (I hope you will! ;))
As I remember you had different color types of S. hardwicki (with minor differences like black head-orange head etc), are these pedes from different locations? Are they the same species?
How big is the enclosure, and how deep is the substrate?
Sorry for the lots of questiopns...:D

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now I have nothing to question. Just give to you the congratulation for get it again! It must be hard to do!

Thanks for the pictures. Good luck If you try to breed them.

Cheers
Carles

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hahahahaha, again :).

Allright, Steven, one specimen at a time... but how big is the group now? When are you going to start getting productive with those :p?

phil.

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome pede ofc :)

That yellow lime substance.. What is it exactly?
Where do you get it from?

searched the net without success :confused:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
That yellow lime substance.. What is it exactly?
Where do you get it from?
ii'm sure Greece is full of it ;) , but maybe you call it differently
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/ruudendiana/Algemene%20plaatjes/Leemgrond.gif
is a kind of klay-substance, when it's wet it's muddy and soft,dark brown colored, when it's dry its hard as a rock,and more yellowish.
in Dutch it's "leemgrond" also have varieties like "Franse leemgrond" the more reddish substrate.

and i'm not that lucky, the previous hardwickei just died recently, i think 2 weeks before i got this one, so at this point i still only have 1, past year i had several dead on arrival, so really not that lucky ;)
so fingers crossed the next one is again a male, as the one on the picture i think is female. And breeding these is offcourse the main goal of getting them.
There's never been any reports on how Hardwickei pedelings look like, so def. something to work for :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good luck with that project, I would really like to see the plings! Seems like you will make it happen sooner or later, closer and closer with every one you get.