Cool....Now What?

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Right so I spent the past two weeks in northen wisconsin. Among other things I came across a large gray spider apparently fishing off shore. I manged to capture it and keep it in a waterbottle for the time being. To reduce stress I covered it in with a black sock. Today when I took the sock off I found this:

Is that an egg sac? If it is I'm guessing I shouldn't dissturb her so I abandond my plans of rehousing. Any info or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks ~ Rex

jrlh84

Arachnopeon
I would still rehouse her if I were you. I doubt she will drop her eggs if you do so. Usually they flat out won't let go of their eggs, no matter what. A water bottle is no place to live for any long period of time and is worth the risk to rehouse (if there is any real risk at all). Thats a nice looking spider by the way. Hope all goes well with the eggsack.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I would definitely still gently rehouse. I caught a large wolf spider with an egg sack once, put it in a jar, carried it all the way to the car, it went for a ride, then was given an enclosure. Three weeks later she had over a hundred spiderlings. So if she could do all that with out the sack dying then you should be alright.
TBH

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
^Thanks guys! I was worried that if she got stressed she might eat her sac. Wow really glad to know thats what it is, keepin my fingers crossed for slings. Man, what a way to get started with True Spiders!

This may be a dumb question but is there any special care involved with slings besides tiny vials? Thanks agian ~ Rex

Opps! Just realized this is the wrong thread for this topic. I'd really appreciate it if the mods could move it over to True Spiders.

Last edited: