Help Help Please!!

dragon_95

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey everyone....
i just got an usumbara baboon tarantula ''pterinochilus murinus'' sling
and i was just wondering is plain sand appropriate for a substrate for them?

Thanks

Allan

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey everyone....
i just got an usumbara baboon tarantula ''pterinochilus murinus'' sling
and i was just wondering is plain sand appropriate for a substrate for them?

Thanks

Allan
No, use dry eco-earth....they like it dry with a water dish....rob

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dry Eco Earth with a water dish is the way to go.They don't like to much humidity.keep it dry and enjoy

apidaeman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't prefer it for an adult, but I guess it would be minimally suitable. Though I wouldn't use it myself.

For a sling though I wouldn't use sand at all, use coco fiber.

Personally, I would only use sand for desert scorpion species. Not with any species of T.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I use potting soil for my slings. It's cheap and does the job.
Also If it's still very small, I wouldn't use a water dish. Just put a couple of drops on the substrate once a week.

kingcobra

Arachnopeon
i'de go with the "eco earth" too, keep the whole set-up fairly dry,light mist only and at most once a week.try to mist webbing rather than substrate if possible.:)

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got the perfect thing for a P. murinus sling. A "tall" Gerber jar (baby food - pick your favorite between bananas, apple sauce, and apricots) with holes in the lid. Filled with some Eco Earth substrate (can be bought in any pet store), and some beak moss. The moss is important because it helps them web their little home.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I just read somewhere that GBBs live in sandy dune and shrub areas, but that would be one of the few Ts that prefer sand right?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just read somewhere that GBBs live in sandy dune and shrub areas, but that would be one of the few Ts that prefer sand right?
There's a difference between sandy soil and sand. I have my GBB on about 60/40 peat/sand and it seems ok. They probably don't care as long as it doesn't irritate their toesies.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I use potting soil for my slings. It's cheap and does the job.
Also If it's still very small, I wouldn't use a water dish. Just put a couple of drops on the substrate once a week.
This is true, if it is a sling you want to mist the sides, I said use a water dish if it is adult or sub-adult....rob

dragon_95

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well im keeping it in a pill bottle and is tissue ok for the bedding?
its a very small pill bottle and the sling is .25 inch

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tissue is not ok for bedding. Use eco-earth or peat as suggested. Maybe an inch in the bottom is fine. Spray the side for drinking water a couple times weekly.