Need Help-Chaco "Shuffle"

gh0001356

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I received a new G. aureostriata a couple of weeks ago. I think the poor girl had a very bad experience during shipping. When I unpacked her she flopped around hysterically like a chicken with its head cutoff. After a couple of days she calmed down, but she still isn't acting right. Whenever she moves she will barely raise her body off the substrate and she shuffles around to a new spot and then flops back down. She hasn't eaten since I've had her and seems annoyed when a cricket bumps into her (causing her to shuffle off to a new spot).

Physically she looks good-great color, fat abdomen, no bald spots, no missing limbs, no bulges or scars. If it wasn't for the weird shuffling around she'd be perfect.

I'm hoping she's in pre-molt, but am starting to doubt that her "sanity" will return anytime soon.

Any guess what might be wrong with her?

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i had a young sling of that species that did the same thing
i found her a couple days later in a death curl
keep and eye on her and make sure there is water available.:(

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Perhaps she encountered some sort of chemical/toxin during shipment or in her packaging. Loss of motor control in varying forms seems to be a common symptom with poisonings. I recall a recent thread where apparently a T was poisoned due to being packaged with a diaper for padding.

Since she's improving maybe the toxin is leaving her system (assuming for a moment that's what the problem is in the first place). If she takes a turn for the worse then get her in an ICU.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
could you perhaps make a video of the G aureostriata? i'm sure many people's first thought was "DS" (a T syndrome), which is a possibility... but many T's are labeled under "DS" when really that isn't the case. who knows though..

how was the T packed?

--dan--

gh0001356

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The Chaco was packed in a deli container lined with paper towels. This was inside a box padded with newspaper. The previous owner claimed that they hadn't noticed anything odd with the T before it shipped.

I'll see if I have enough memory on my camera to take a video.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The previous owner may have some 'splainin to do. A T doesn't just magically start doing that. Either it was an issue when they had the T, or there's something with the packing that's wrong.... Maybe the newspaper had something on it, or the paper towels.... I don't know, but I don't see how they can ship a 'healthy' T, and then it magically goes nuts the second it arrives at your door. Nuh-uh.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The previous owner may have some 'splainin to do. A T doesn't just magically start doing that. Either it was an issue when they had the T, or there's something with the packing that's wrong.... Maybe the newspaper had something on it, or the paper towels.... I don't know, but I don't see how they can ship a 'healthy' T, and then it magically goes nuts the second it arrives at your door. Nuh-uh.

Agreed

however, i've shipped out SOOOOOOOO Many boxes using paper towels and newspaper, and i never had any problems come from it...

but who knows, anything is possible i suppose

--dan--

EDIT: oh nevermind, i saw the part "had something on it"

i thought that you meant the newspaper itself was harmful, lol :p sorry, misread a bit.

Last edited:

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, here's a link to the video I took:
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa304/gh0001356/?action=view&current=009-1.flv
I've never had a T act this way before. I did notice a thin layer of webbing on the substrate underneath her. Maybe she's getting ready to molt.

ouch... doesn't look good.

here's a chaco with the same symptoms (click link):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIQTc9JGSKc
(the youtube video is from AB user Lucara, and shows her G aureostriata going through some of the same stuff)

i think that might be indeed what your chaco has.....

sorry :(

--dan--

Edit: have you tried contacting the seller and seeing what they have to say about the situation?

Last edited:

MoonYin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
aaaww, sorry about this. yea i also read about the poisoned P. regalis shipped on a diaper... since I live in Asia where you have to get new Ts shipped to add to your collection, am getting worried... My question is, is there a way to detox the Ts? any experience on what to do? would raising the humidity force the toxins out and maybe induce a molt? good luck with your chaco, hopes she gets better...

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My question is, is there a way to detox the Ts? any experience on what to do? would raising the humidity force the toxins out and maybe induce a molt?
i don't think there's a known way to do a detox or fix a problem like that :( maybe there's a way, we just haven't found it yet

i've luckily never had anything like this happen to me, so i have no experience with it, besides what i've read

i don't think raising humidity would force a molt... i'm not sure if it would force the toxins out either. your guess is as good as mine at this point. :8o

--dan--

Last edited:

MoonYin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I see... thanks anyway. It would be nice to hear any updates on these "D.S." cases floating around. thanks Dan...

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm very sorry. From what I know, DS is like cancer for T's. Get it = wait for death to come.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You do want to make sure to quarantine that T away from the rest of your collection. I'm sorry about that. I'd contact the seller and direct them to this thread. They sold you faulty goods.

gh0001356

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So what now? Do I start clearing a space in the freezer for her? The seller had two other T's for sale at the same time. I wonder if they were in the same condition as the Chaco?

Godzirra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you tried to contact the dealer through all options possible?
If they are well known dealer on arachnoboards, maybe check out some other reviews or type in some key words (of their username/site/store etc), and try to find other people who have bought from them.

That is so weird and sad, when they walk it looks like as if they have sticky feet or something.
Like someone else said, maybe try and "quarantine" your T, and monitor.....writing things down might help also, you might find a pattern in the behavior (after a certain time, certain temp, after eating, drinking, day night etc).

gh0001356

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bought her for $15.00 plus shipping off the board from an individual. The money is not the issue, I'm ticked that this T was sold in this condition and then the seller denying any knowledge of "strange behavior" when I emailed them about it.

I'll keep her isolated and see if she improves. She is better IMO than when I received her.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How big is that T? Because $15.00 seems awfully low if it's the size I think it is. That alone could be indicative that the seller knew that there was an issue.

gh0001356

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, she's a good 5"+ when she's spread out. I guess when a deal seems too good, it probably is.

ShellsandScales

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a nhandu chromatus sling that does the same thing.(couldn't see the video so not sure if its exactly the same) Walks around real jittery.......almost like its got parkinsons disease. She has molted a couple of times and seems to be less and less affected after each molt. Not sure what started it but I think as long as it keeps eating and molting it might eventually grow out of it. I've had it more than just a couple of months now.