My Blaberus species

Vincent

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My favorite cockroach genus :worship:

Species: Blaberus atropus (Stoll, 1813)
Origin: Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana
Size: about 40 mm

Species: Blaberus boliviensis (Princis, 1946)
Origin: Bolivia
Size: 40 – 50 mm

Species: Blaberus colosseus (Illiger, 1801) **
Origin: Ecuador
Size: to 60 mm

Species: Blaberus craniifer (Burmeister, 1838)
Origin: Mexico, Belize, Cuba, Dominican Republic, USA (Florida)
Size: 50 – 60 mm

Species: Blaberus craniifer „ Black Wing“ (Burmeister, 1838)
Origin: Mexico, Belize, Cuba, Dominican Republic, USA (Florida)
Size: 50 – 60 mm

Species: Blaberus discoidalis (Serville, 1839)
Origin: Jamaica, Cuba, Haiti, Puerto Rico, ,Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Trinidad and Tobago, USA (Florida)
Size: about 35 - 40 mm

Species: Blaberus giganteus (Linnaeus, 1758)
Origin: Mexico, Guatemala, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Suriname, French Guyana
Size: to 80 mm

Species: Blaberus parabolicus (Walker, 1868)
Origin: Colombia, Suriname, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia
Size: about 40 - 50 mm

** I also have several subadults of Blaberus colosseus 'Peru Giant'. As soon as I have an adult I will post a picture

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Incredible! :clap:
Let me know if you ever wanna sell or trade... I'm flush on the B.giganteous and the cranifer... but am VERY interested in the colossus. :D

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...Since he is in the Netherlands, yoiu may have a problem importing those into the USA.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Matt...;)
I appreciated the pm...and am Very interested! :clap:

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also, the picture above labeled B. craniifer is not correct. B. craniifer only come with black wings. It looks really like Blaberus fusca. Additionally, the picture of B.crannifer does look to be a hybrid and not a pure strain craniifer.
Just to note this is a photo of one of my pure strain Blaberus craniifer:

Note the solid black wings without discoloration or translucency which comes from hybridization.

:D

Vincent

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks all

@ Matt Blaberus fusca is a synonym of Blaberus atropus. How do you know that B. craniifer only comes with black wings? I have heard from several people otherwise.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
thanks all

@ Matt Blaberus fusca is a synonym of Blaberus atropus.
That's not possible since there's no such thing as B. atropus;)
Check your spelling on that species name.

B. atropos is also a synonym of B. craniifer.

Even if you prefer to call your brown wing animals craniifer (which may or may not be) you have your ranges messed up. The 'black wing' isn't found in the same countries, maybe just FL. Lastly, your 'black wing's do look a little bit odd for a pure culture.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
My favorite cockroach genus :worship:

[Species: Blaberus parabolicus (Walker, 1868)
Origin: Colombia, Suriname, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia
Size: about 40 - 50 mm
Is that a male? Visual on Blaberus is not the most reliable identification tool but that looks a bit different from the B. parabolicus I've seen from Peru. Maybe it's just a bad photo.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is that a male? Visual on Blaberus is not the most reliable identification tool but that looks a bit different from the B. parabolicus I've seen from Peru. Maybe it's just a bad photo.
Thanks for chiming in Elytra and Antenna! I was hoping you would provide input and correction to this thread.

Here is a pic from one of mine, which are supposedly originating from Peru":

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
By "bad" photo I meant unrepresentative. The dark spot on the pronotum appears too small for that species and the wing to body ratio appears too high.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
By "bad" photo I meant unrepresentative. The dark spot on the pronotum appears too small for that species and the wing to body ratio appears too high.

Did you mean on the photo posted by Vincent ?? If so I would agree. Compared to the ones I have, body/wing proportions are quite different, and the pronotum is obviously very different.

Vincent

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's not possible since there's no such thing as B. atropus;)
Check your spelling on that species name.

B. atropos is also a synonym of B. craniifer.

Even if you prefer to call your brown wing animals craniifer (which may or may not be) you have your ranges messed up. The 'black wing' isn't found in the same countries, maybe just FL. Lastly, your 'black wing's do look a little bit odd for a pure culture.
You're right, I spelled B. atropos wrong (although it has been called B. atropus also in the past) but the statement remains the same. B. fusca is B. atropos.

I don't know if my black wings are pure or not.

If it is not B. parabolicus what else could it be. I know it's impossible to tell from a picture but I will appreciate a guess.

Thanks for chiming in Elytra and Antenna! I was hoping you would provide input and correction to this thread.

Here is a pic from one of mine, which are supposedly originating from Peru":

it indeed seems different from mine

One last question. Is there any documentation on how to ID Blaberus species and if so where can I find it as I'd like to learn more.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
You're right, I spelled B. atropos wrong (although it has been called B. atropus also in the past)
No, it hasn't.
That's just a spelling error.

but the statement remains the same. B. fusca is B. atropos.
Sure, but B. atropos is also B.craniifer if you're going by synonyms. At the same time, however, B.atropos is not B. fusca and B. craniifer is not B. fusca.

If it is not B. parabolicus what else could it be. I know it's impossible to tell from a picture but I will appreciate a guess.

One last question. Is there any documentation on how to ID Blaberus species and if so where can I find it as I'd like to learn more.
Your "B. parabolicus" looks like B. discoidalis or possibly B. atropos (not a synonym).
I think you can find a PDF online with photographs of the male genitalia of many of the Blaberus species, keywords: Blaberus, Luis M. Roth, Psyche, 1970

BestRoach

Arachnopeon
I would love to have a pure strain of Caniifer, but alas I have no more room. Once I get out of this blasted Southern California Residence, I will be contacting several of you to expand my collection.

*slightly off topic*
Are there any synonyms for B. Boliviensis? I have had several people refer to a B. Bolivenus, and it was my understanding that they were indeed the same roach...perhaps I have been mistaken.

Cheers!

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
... "B. Bolivenus" is a misspelling of the correctly spelled "B. Boliviensis".

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Are there any synonyms for B. Boliviensis? I have had several people refer to a B. Bolivenus, and it was my understanding that they were indeed the same roach...perhaps I have been mistaken.
Yep, just a bad spelling.
A synonym can mean different things but when it's related to scientific names it refers to use in a taxonomic work. Commonly it refers to a taxonomist accidentally re-describing an already named species (such as Gyna henrardi was first described as G. bisannulata) but it can also be when a taxonomist changes the genus and accidentally spells the species name wrong (Diapheromera denticrus = Megaphasma dentricus = Megaphasma denticrus) or describes the wrong species as a different species.