Urticating hair ID

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Nothing to do today, decided to look at urticating hairs under the scope. Sorry my pics suck as I dont have the right equipment to take pics.

Type 1

Type 2

Type 3

Type 4

Type 5

The awesome effects of urticating hairs. Love those New Worlds!

Later, Tom

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nice shots Tom!Is the type one from a Brachypelma?

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My understanding is that aphonopelma exhibit type I only (and in fact this is one of the critera for classification into aphonopelma). Is that correct?

Red Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very interesting! Thank you for taking the time (getting the different hairs, setting up the camera and microscope and then sharing these pictures).

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I didnt know that there was more than one type of U-hair....nor did I know that it was possible to ID a T by its U-Hairs!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Nice shots Tom!Is the type one from a Brachypelma?
The Brachypelma's I've looked at seem to have Type 1 and 2. *my disclaimer, Im sure this research has ben done by real biologist if you really want to know. Im just a drunk with a microscope haha.

My understanding is that aphonopelma exhibit type I only (and in fact this is one of the critera for classification into aphonopelma). Is that correct?
I dont know, thats intersting though, I need to scrape some Aphonopelma's

I didnt know that there was more than one type of U-hair....nor did I know that it was possible to ID a T by its U-Hairs
I wouldnt say its possible to ID a tarantula buy its urticating hairs, but it is definitly possible to eliminate some sp. based on what hairs they carry.

After scraping a Brachypelma albiceps molt tonight I found this little guy walking across the slide. Really makes me wonder how many billions of these are cruising around my collection that go un-noticed everyday.

Later, Tom

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you using the exact same magnification for each picture?
And what is your magnification?

I think these are good pictures, thanks!
-=ICM=-

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
My eye piece's 10X and it was set on 10/0.25 for all the pics.

Later, Tom