Megaphobema

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey All,
I was wondering about this genus becaue I am
Planing on buying a Megaphobema mesomelas.

How do you take care of one? Is there any caresheets?

Does any one have a personal experience with them?

any info on this species or any other of the genus is very helpful

thanks in advance and have a nice day. =D

EDIT : small typo

geo

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have M. robustum and M.velvetosoma. Standard hobbyist opinion has it that these guys do best on a moist substrate. I don't have enough experience to say if that's 100% true, but I have noticed my M. velvetosoma tends to hover over the water bowl if the substrate gets dry. I do keep them on the moist side, compared to other new world genera.

Although I've never had M. mesomelas, I was fortunate enough to view them in their natural habitat in the moutains of Costa Rica. In the middle of July, daytime temps were in the mid 70's (f) and dipped into the low 60's at night (not what you expect in the summer in the tropics!). It was foggy most of the time. So, it's not surprising that this species has a reputation for requiring lower temperatures and high humidity. How true this is, I will leave to those with experience.

Wade

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Megaphobema mesomelas

Hatchlings of this species have the reputation to be difficult to get started.

I have only kept two spiderlings up to now of this species (for about ten months now) without any problems, but I follow Verdez's caresheet.

It says around 18 Celcius at night and around 22 Celcius during the day... humidity 100%!

I keep the substrate very humid and stick to those climatic conditions. The surprising thing is that they grow pretty fast even at those very low temparature (by Ts keeping standards).

Wade, you are one lucky guy! That must of been an incredible trip! Thank you for sharing the experience.