• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Brachypelma vagans

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unsuccessful - so far

My adult female paired with an adult male provided by Phillip Redwine. The two were paired up four times between 05/22/03 and 07/30/03. All four matings resulted in clear and successful insertions. All four times the male was introduced into the females enclosure.

Female molted on 08/26/03. I'm still in possession of the male and will try him again in a few weeks.

Botar

EDIT: I've recently read information regarding a cooling period after breeding which might help induce the female to create an egg sac. This cooling period, in theory, mimicks the winter season for the particular species. I will most likely try this for a few weeks, cooling the spider about 10 degrees below my spider-room temps to see if it is successful. The information I read was directed towards the Brachypelma and Aphonopelma genus.

Last edited:

Catherine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Unsucessful

Mating went well, female was placed in males enclosure. (He had the bigger cage) Males drumming was reciprocated by the female and mating was a standard affair, the male getting both palps inserted.

My female was mated on 18th August and laid her sac on 19 October, she was gravid 62 days.

There were problems from the start though. While she was digging she managed to pull the humidity gauge in the tank down off the side of the tank. Unfortunatly she then laid silk over it when she dug her bowl out, which caused problems when she rolled the eggs up in the silk. This left the egg sack quite flat and mis-shapen. i didn't want to pull the gauge away while she was rolling,as i was worried she'd destroy the sack. I was hoping that she'd be able to sort it out herself.

The Morning of the 23rd October I looked in the cage and noticed the sac gone, eaten.
Later on that afternoon, I noticed her carry something out of her coconut shell which she then deposited at the side of the tank. I pulled this out, turned out the be part of the sac she hadn't eaten. It smelt rotten, I had a look inside. Eggs that were inside were black and stuck together like glue. It looks like the initial drying failed and rot set in.
However there were about six eggs that still looked ok so I took them out and tried incubating them, hoping that the whole affair wouldn't be a complete disaster. Sadly, within a couple of hours they also turned black.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
UNSUCCESSFUL

My computer crashed, and with it, all of my data on my spiders. I had no backup (bad me) so this is from memory.

I owned both the male and female. He molted into his ultimate molt within a week of her molting. I waited approx 4 weeks, and placed him in her enclosure. He immediately went up to her and got both palps inserted. Afterwards, she looked unhappy, and chased him off. I gave it a week, and tried to reintroduce him. He would not go near her, and she was definately giving off some sort of 'don't touch me' signal.
I don't know the time frame from that one mating to eggsac, since I can't remember. I would hazard a guess at about 4-5 months though. She ate like a pig, and got bigger and bigger. She also started randomly webbing her enclosure. I finally put her in the closet where she wouldn't be disturbed.
Last week, I noticed her with an eggsac. I have no idea how long she's had it, since I don't check her very often.
Update 5-5-05:
I pulled the sac yesterday, it had hundreds of dried up eggs all in a hard glob.
IMO, it started out perfectly fine, but dried out. I had her in a KK, and I think it was way too dry in there. I gave the sac back to her, she's still guarding it ferociously.

Last edited:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Brachypelma vagans Mating 09-26-2005

Hello.

I would like to introduce a pair of really beautiful Brachypelma vagans (Mexican Redrumps).

With conditions and timing just right I went ahead with pairing these guys up today.

Date:09-26-2005
Temperature: 82 Degrees F
Humidity:60%
Lighting Conditions: Dimmed

Male walked into the females enclosure from atop. Once the male got down to the substrate the female being near her burrow walked over to him and touched his front right leg.

Sensing this he started to "twitch" and go into full blown drumming. The female sensed the drumming. The male then walked down to the substrate and drummed some more. The female drummed very briefly.

The male then promtly engaged into hooking the chelicerae/fangs and pushing her backwards. Once lifting her...he made several insertions and backed away. I took him out and placed him into his enclosure for future attempts.

Here are some pics of the event. Enjoy!

Mating:Successfull

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Successful?
Fingers crossed ;)

Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers
Female was approx. 1 month since molting - she's been fed very heavily for approx. 2 weeks and has eaten every other day.

How they were paired
Male was placed in small KK on top of female's enclosure (2.5 gallon). Both appeared interested for several days - the male drumming and female climbing near the top of the enclosure. Male was placed in female's enclsoure twice - the first time they came together and no insertions were believed to have happened. The second time the female was in her hide (about 10 minutes apart) and the male went into her hide and they mated again.

Any observations on the hookup
Male repeatedly twitching leg II, not leg III as I expected.

Any special post mating care
Will cool off the female for a few months.

Time to sac
N/A

Care of the sac
N/A

Time to emerge/hatch
N/A

The final details
N/A

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Successful?
Waiting to see

Any special care
Female was approximately 2 months post molt. Not sure when male matured.

How and when they were paired
Male introduced to female on 3 separate occassions. Matings took place on 10-13-06, 10-21-06, and 11-4-06.

Any special post mating care
Cooling off period of about 4 months due to winter. As soon as spring arrived our temps were around 80 degrees for a few days. Eggsac was laid the same day our outside temps dropped by about 40 degrees and our inside temp dropped by about 8 degrees.

Time to sac
5 months from final mating

Last edited:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Brachypelma vagans "Mexican Redrump"

Species: Brachypelma vagans "Mexican Redrump"

Temp: 82 Degrees F

Lighting: Room lit by reccessed lighting (incandesent).

Mating result: Successful

Eggsack Production:

Final Count:

I have just bred my Brachypelma vagans "Mexican Redrump" pair.

The male was allowed to walk into the female enclosure. The started twitching and drumming on the side of the enclosure. Once he made it to the substrate, he began approaching he from behind. She picked up on his presence and waived her front two legs. He slowly tapped his front legs on her rump and rear legs to position her for the breeding. His attempts were successful and she mad herself around facing him. She went right up and he hooked her fangs.

Once locked he made about 4 insertions and then lowered her down. Once down, he took off into his enclosure.

Here's some pics of the Mating:

scolex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

She walked up to him. He did his drum roll, with a few bounces, they hooked up then he ran off to his cage. She followed I stopped her. Next update: ?

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer

Species:

Temp:
82 Degrees F

Lighting:
Room lit by reccessed lighting (incandesent).

Mating result:
Successful

I have just bred my 2nd Brachypelma vagans "Mexican Redrump" pair.

The male was allowed to walk into the female enclosure. She picked up on his presence and started to drum. They only drummed for a very short while. The legs touched and she went right up and he hooked her fangs.

Once locked he made several insertions and then lowered her down. Once down, he took off into his enclosure.

Here's some pics of the Mating:

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Successful

small 1.5 year old female mated Early August.
Eggsac laid on October 11th.
Pulled eggsac on Nov 5th (day 25) to reveal eggs-with-legs.
Molted again on November 11th (day 31) to 1st instar spiderlings. Total count 390, about 5 bad eggs were disposed of.

Dreadz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Both male and female B.vagans molted August 07'. The female was fed 1dozen crickets and a pinky mouse before the male was introduced.
The male was w/c in Belize as a 1/4" sling in 05'. The Female was bought at a reptile show in 06' as a 1/4" sling and was power fed.
The male made a sperm web after he molted and another on November 27, 07'.

1st pairing on Thursday Nov. 22, 07' "3 successful insertions."

2nd pairing on Sunday Nov. 25, 07' "at least 5 successful insertions."

3rd pairing on Thursday Nov. 29, 07' "at least 3 successful insertions."

4th pairing on Friday Dec. 7, 07' "at least 2 successful insertions." female also fed 2 crickets

Female dropped eggsack on May 5, 08' almost 6 months after last pairing. The sack looks good but not perfectly round. The cage was dry so i added water she seems to be guarding eggsack well. Kept at 72-80 F for first 10 days then i added a heat mat to rais it up to 78-84 F.

On May 21, 08' i pulled eggsack from her. Eggsack was with her for 17 days. I opened the sack and all eggs look good there r between 250-450. I stole the eggsack by distracting her with a few crickets then taking the sack with two sticks she was defensive and tryed to guard her eggs. The eggsack is huge about the size of a golfball. She was fed 9 crickets after the eggsack was taken.

On May 29, 08' i looked at the eggs and they had started to hatch after 25 days. Then on June 1, 08' allmost all of the eggs had hatched. I saw a few that were bigger than the others and were attached to a unhatched egg so it was eating it. I removed 38 unhatched eggs to see if they would hatch and kept all the eggs with legs incubated at 78-89F.

On June 10, 08' I looked at the eggs with legs to realize that they were 1st instars and that none of the unhatched eggs had hatched i will remove them and throw out the unhatched eggs. I will separate the slings when i get more portion cups.

The method used to incubate the eggs was to get a regular sized plastic shoebox and line the bottom with 2 layers of dry paper towel.Then get another plastic shoebox bigger than the one linned with dry paper towels and line it with folded up squares of paper towels that r wet or damp. Then place the smaller box in the larger one and cover the whole thing with plastic wrap and poke alot of holes in the plastic wrap with a safety pin. Then i added a heat mat to raise the heat to around 75-89F.

The total count of slings is unknown but estimated to be between 300- 450.

:D Total count 602 healthy slings 110 infertile eggs and 6 dead slings.

Attachments

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brachypelma vagans - Successful

Preliminary notes: Female's last molt was on 25Jul10. No special care was provided. Female was kept at room temperature and fed B. dubia as long as she would take them.

Pairing: Male was introduced into female's enclosure on 25Nov10 at 23:35. After sensing the female, he lifted her up and inserted both palps twice (right, left, right, left). They separated without issue and the male was removed. Total session time was approximately 20 minutes.

Post-mating care: Female was moved to a larger enclosure and still kept at room temperature. Feeding regimen remained the same (B. dubia offered as long as she would take them).

Time to sac: Sac was produced on 13Mar11.

Care of the sac: Sac was kept with the female until 10Jun11. Opened the sac to reveal 1st instars.

Final details: Slings began molting into 2nd instars on 18Jun11. Final count was 972 slings.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Brachypelma Vagan

Successful

I loaned from someone here in AB if you see this please contact me.

Female about 5+"
Male about 5+"

Mated 2 times early March

Female drop sac on June

Spiderlings emerge August

about 300 slings.

female with babies
[video=youtube;47wSDPwppWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47wSDPwppWY[/video]

milky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Unsucessful

Mating went well.

2.5.2014. female made a sack.

6.6.2014. I took the sack and opened it. Still no eggs with legs (couple of black eggs and mold). The eggs where then put in a incubator.

14.6.2014. nothing new (probably unfertilized eggs), total count off eggs 381.

:(