Haplopelma longipes, minax, or ?

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=130276

Above you will note that I have been tring to ID these two haplos I got from a local LPS. I have pics 1.5 months after last molt to help us determine the species. If I have to I am willing to mail the molt out in hopes of a positive ID.

Here are the pics, and this is some info I pulled on line - http://www.eightlegs.org/phpBB2/species.html - once there click on Ornithoctoninae. I am still rather clueless on the actual ID and need ot find out so I can sell them. They just don't float my boat that much.

Thanks, and does any one know how to contact Volker von Wirth? I think he is an AB member:?

Regards,

DDaake

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My guess would be nigerrnum or hainanum. BUt thats just a guess. Doesn't seem minax would be it though. Oh, and haplos definately float my boat, so feel free to pm me when you find the ID.

Paulie B

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Travis, I joke not when I say that your specimen is "identical" to mine who also has just molted. She is about 5 inches now. It was sold to me as a Haplo Vietnam sp. That is as much as I know. I too would really love to know her true identity. A beautiful T and I got her for peanuts money aswell.

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pretty Ts - I'm making note of any guesses as it gives me more species to research to figure out what my mystery Haplo Sp. is. I really like mine though, such a pretty dark color, and great attitude.

Species I've found so far when trying to ID a dark, blackish haplo are:
haplopelma schmidti DCF
haplopelma minax
haplopelma hainanum
haplopelma nigerrnum
haplopelma longipes

I've been trying to find more info on the exact differences between some of these to help figure mine out. Whatever she is I'm keeping her though! :D

I guess if you really don't want them you could always just sell them as "Haplopelma Sp. Unknown." You might get buyers. I got mine completely blindly from this ad: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1272281&postcount=1 and was completely happy with it. I bet there are some people out there who'd be happy to pay you for an unknown mystery haplo. But you may not get as much for them as you might if they were IDed. Guess it depends on how much they don't float your boat.

They are very pretty though. Good luck IDing them!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks like a very beat up WC Haplopelma longipes to me.
-Chris

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Looks like a very beat up WC Haplopelma longipes to me.
-Chris
I agree the pre-molt pics I linked to are beat up, but the ones posted on this thread are fresh 1.5 month post molt pics. When you say "beat up" are you refering to the pics I posted above? Cause that doesn't make any sense to me:confused:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree the pre-molt pics I linked to are beat up, but the ones posted on this thread are fresh 1.5 month post molt pics. When you say "beat up" are you refering to the pics I posted above? Cause that doesn't make any sense to me:confused:
I didnt even look at the pre-molt pics.Just checked them now tho.
I say "beatup" because the spider looks like it just did a round with rocky lol.
Shes got quite a few scars and wounds on her.
The reason I think it is longipes is the patch of hairs present on the metatarsus of leg IV.
-Chris

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I didnt even look at the pre-molt pics.Just checked them now tho.
I say "beatup" because the spider looks like it just did a round with rocky lol.
Shes got quite a few scars and wounds on her.
The reason I think it is longipes is the patch of hairs present on the metatarsus of leg IV.
-Chris
Thanks for pointing that out, i never really noticed it. It only comes up under the camera flash, and I can't see it with my naked eye. Good observations.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She should heal up in a few molts.You should provide her with a deep substrate of moist soil to build a burrow in.My big female is a great digger and rarely gives me threat displays now that she is all settled in.
-Chris

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i've seen a bunch on vonwirthi popping up around. could be that. the spinnerets look somewhat orangy in some of the photos.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks like a freshly molted but old Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam". The leg IV is too short and slender and the metatarsal scopula is too small to be H. longipes ;-)

Regards
Søren

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Looks like a freshly molted but old Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam". The leg IV is too short and slender and the metatarsal scopula is too small to be H. longipes ;-)

Regards
Søren
I assume that H. sp. "Vietnam" is not yet taxonomically classified yet? Don't know if the sex helps, but it's a female. I have another that molted but it is in a burrowing/arboreal setup and the molt is literally buried at the bottom of the tank so I can't sex it with the molt. I may compare them though and get a pretty good idea of the second T's sex later.

Interesting observation - Day time the Haplopelma sp. in question likes to stay in its burrow, but at night it is up the sticks and acts arboreal. If it is disturbed it shoots down to the substrate and zips into the burrow quick as a flash. Maybe I will post enclosure pics for that one later this week.

Any one else got any good ideas?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Regards
Søren
Thanks for correcting me Soren!
Travis listen to him hehe
-Chris

bobsleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've seen a bunch on vonwirthi popping up around. could be that. the spinnerets look somewhat orangy in some of the photos.
So is the orangey hairs around the spinnerets a definitive characteristic of H. vonwirthi? I have two T's that I was under the impression of being either H. minax or O. aureotibialis. These both have orangey/reddish hairs on the spinnerets, though the carapace and abdomen on both are a less dark and more dark grey.

Here is a link to a photo of one of them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobsleaf/3078068429/sizes/l/

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
So is the orangey hairs around the spinnerets a definitive characteristic of H. vonwirthi? I have two T's that I was under the impression of being either H. minax or O. aureotibialis. These both have orangey/reddish hairs on the spinnerets, though the carapace and abdomen on both are a less dark and more dark grey.

Yours is not the same as mine.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The orange spinnerets is common in Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam" but not a distinguishing character as far as I know. Whether or not H. sp. "Vietnam" is synonomous with H. vonwirthi is very difficult to say because the description of H. vonwirthi is vague and inconclusive to say the least. So until a good definition of H. vonwirthi appears I feel it is safer to retain the working names that we - after all - know what refer to ;-)

The spider in your picture is not a Haplopelma but an Ornithoctonus - most likely O. aureotibialis

Regards
Søren

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobsleaf/3078068429/sizes/l/

bobsleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was under the impression that it was Ornithoctonus aureotibialis, though people have been mentioning the red spinnerets thingy and was making me think twice about my ID skillz.

Thanks for your info :)

bobsleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yours is not the same as mine.

I tossed my photo into the discussion, since I was under the impression that there were colour variations of H. minax, wondering if this was one of them. I was sold this as a H. minax, though have since realised that it isn't. :)