Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wayne that is 1 bizzare coloured looking pede

fatbloke

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
indian pede

not sure where abouts in india its from will try to find out all i know it was 25cm long and about 2.5 cm wide so quite a large animal the name mentioned is valid but not sure if correct gongyles was s hardwicki from india?:confused:

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wayne that second picture shows the colours of better any idea where they got it from:?

fatbloke

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
indian pede

just e mailed person who sent me first pic for more info soon as i get reply it will be on these boards second pic just found on net looking for more info S hardwickei is a valid sp according to gongyles.gongyles where does this sp originate from?trying to get location where this was collected, but the main thing is where can i buy one?:mad: :confused: :? :( :)

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Being that it's origin is India, we probably won't be seeing too many of them availabale. Shame. :( Well, at least not in the states. India doesn't allow the exportation of myriopods any more than they do the exportation of T's, correct?

Incredible centipede! What's really interesting is that the black banding skips 2 tergites just before halfway down the length of the pede. Still an awesome sight!

Atrax

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Is it just me, or are the heads two different colors in the pictures?

Bill

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
just did some little research in my own collection of articles about scolopendras,...

if this is truely a scolopendra hardwickei they come from a mountain area called Anaikatty in India

Attachments

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Is it just me, or are the heads two different colors in the pictures?
No, it's not just you. I'm looking at those shots trying to decide if they're just a hoax or not. Either it's two different specimens with some variability in their markings, or I'm going to have voice my skepticism.

EDIT: on further looking, there's no consistency at all for the markings. I'm thinking hoax and a lazy faker at that.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
@Code Monkey

don't know if this is a fake picture,... but i assure you that, that kind of markings is specific for some scolopendra species,... i've seen some more pictures of those rare colorations,... give me some research time and i'll post them :D

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thats really cool. i dont really see why someone would question at the moment whether it is a fake. There are probably hundreds of pedes in countries that dont allow exportation that collectors are not familiar with. Although there is an equal possibility that its either one, im going with real because I dont see why there couldnt be pedes that look like this somewhere in india.

There might be pedes that glow in the dark on one segment and alternate to a cherry red on the other. I havent been into pedes for very long, but im familiar with those more commonly kept in the hobby. So dont trust my opinions on weird specimens. :cool:

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
indian pede

dont think pic is fake if it is two minds must think alike cos recieved first pic then went searchin the net and found same pede in a pic from india so looks very doubtful to be a hoax;P

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm just having a very hard time buying the black head on one, red head on another, different locations for the two red in a row, etc. There also appears to be a fair amount of "bleed over" for the black onto other segments in the first pic. I've seen some truly spectacular looking pedes, but the markings tend to be consistent amongst specimens of the same species.

Maybe it's real, maybe it's not, but it gets the BS meter going on me.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, I can see what you mean. Although the 2 red look like they are 6 segments from the head. Am I correct? But then on the second pic there are the double red segments again.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am not computer savy enough to take a guess about the pictures being fake or not, but many other centipede species have proven to be highly variable throughout there ranges, including S. subspinipes, S. polymorpha, and S. heros, among no doubt many others. In the case of S. heros, we have the Sonoran variety (S. h. "arizonensis") with an orange body and a black head, while further to the east we find that coloration almost reversed (S. h. "castaneiceps") and then there's S. h. "heros", mostly orange with a black "tail". After seeing a selection of S. heros offered by an Arizona collector, where no two looked alike, it was easy to see why Rowland Shelley has doubts about the naming of these subspecies.

Also, what an odd hoax if it is one. Most doctored photos of centipedes usually have something to do with the size of the animal or handling. A prank aimed at the handfull of people who care about the colors of centipedes seems to be pretty specialized!

Wade

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade
Also, what an odd hoax if it is one. Most doctored photos of centipedes usually have something to do with the size of the animal or handling. A prank aimed at the handfull of people who care about the colors of centipedes seems to be pretty specialized!
Admittedly. It may very well be a legit species with photos of two variable specimens as I said earlier. I'm still keeping one eyebrow raised until someone comes up with something more than a photo sent through email, though ;)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
I'm still keeping one eyebrow raised until someone comes up with something more than a photo sent through email, though
that's like saying in a smart way,.... gimme some of those pedes right away ;) :D

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The "black" looks painted on to me. Look real close, very thick like paint. I think this is a fake.

Sorry.

Bob