Isopod Problem

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well since my obts and regalis has gotten bigger I decided to throw a few small isopods in with them. Well I thought the obts and regalis would ignore them. Well I was wrong:clap:

Well now they have an extra meal, and that I dont care. But the problem is that I just got these from outside. So will my obts and regalis be poisoned by chemicals?

CT9A

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Depends on where you got them from, and you could never be sure if they carried chemicals until you find out :eek:.

Alex080

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i personally buy my isopods never a good idea to put anything you get from outside in your cage unless it's like bark you heated up to disinfect but if they had chemicals you will know soon

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man I dont like this. I had quite a few people tell me it was okay to get them from outside. I guess I will find out soon:(

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well since my obts and regalis has gotten bigger I decided to throw a few small isopods in with them. Well I thought the obts and regalis would ignore them. Well I was wrong:clap:

Well now they have an extra meal, and that I dont care. But the problem is that I just got these from outside. So will my obts and regalis be poisoned by chemicals?
How big are they? We are about to add isopods to our A. Avicularia and H. Vietnam's tanks. Wondering whether they will eat them as well.

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine is over an inch. Aparently 1 or 2 was a little big. I would buy the smallest Isopods or wait until your T is 2".

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
IF you are really concerned you should just get a few adults from outside and breed them in a seperate container, then introduce the young to the enclosures you want them in.

Alex080

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IF you are really concerned you should just get a few adults from outside and breed them in a seperate container, then introduce the young to the enclosures you want them in.
Agreed just look for ones with yellow abdomens those are gravid females i learned that from the store where i buy mine and they have a lot of babies
and put the babies in the container with your T's

SuperRad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Feeder insects from outside are generally a no-no, but you need to keep a few things in mind to determine how harmful they can be. First, the type of area you live in can greatly affect what types of pesticides and chemicals are used. Rural areas can use harsher substances as opposed to metropolitan areas. Most pesticides do greater damage closer to the time they were administered into the environment. A chemical agent that's been exposed to elements for 2 or 3 months wouldn't be fatal, but would leave a build up within the system of the insect that injested it and over time and more chemical intake, eventually do some damage.

Then you have to factor the size of your feeder insect. The amount of chemicals that would do damage to something small such as an isopod would't be significant to a larger creature. Additionally, some chemical potency is lost between a feeder insect and it's predator, so if an isopod was eaten by a tarantula around 3 or 4 inches the toxic left overs shouldn't be significantly or noticeably harmful. At worst it will create a chemical build up that will stay in the T's system and only create problems if the build up is increased with repeat feedings.

I don't think you'll see the results of your tarantulas eating these isopods any time soon like everyone keeps repeating in this post, but it would probably be best to keep any insects from outside out of those tanks in the future.