Where can I find a company to buils me some of these?

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would Really like to Have someone build me 2 or 3 of these set ups If anyone knows a complany in canada that will do this please let me know

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is beautiful. One of the best setups I've ever seen. Where did you get that picture?

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Those look like pet store displays. Hence the reason there are lights in the enclosures. I wouldn't suggest lighting though. Thats what flashlights are for :) Couldn't tell you where to get them though. Maybe ask around your LPS?

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought T's dont like light...:?
On another board there's been some recent discussion about this. Some species actually come out and bask in sunlight, others seem to avoid it. In setting up cages with lights, it would obviously be worth knowing how the species you are keeping copes with light.

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i have looked at his site for a while now.
those look custom built.tanks on a shelf.
real nice though
his photos are incredible,have been trying to buy some from him for a while,anyone here speak german?
andy

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think having the option of turning the lights on is good anyways in case you need to do tank checks or T checks I have a flashlight next to my cages just in case but it seems as though an overhead light would be better in most cases. Do the ones in the pic have the ability to control lights for individual cages or iis it one switch for all?

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They look like tanks in a shelf to me.
^Have to agree.

IMO Ts need the day/night cycle. It is possible that the changing length of daylight through seasons might be a cue in mating/dropping sacs. Some like to have live plants which need light, and can make for a realistic set-up.

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have looked at his site for a while now.
those look custom built.tanks on a shelf.
real nice though
his photos are incredible,have been trying to buy some from him for a while,anyone here speak german?
andy
The tanks are in shelves all right, but they're not custom build. These are standard glass cages like they are sold everywhere in Europe, come in different sizes and with different coor mechanics.
And yes, I do speak German.

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought T's dont like light...:?
I think that's one of the main differences in T keeping between Americans and Europeans.
Here on Arachnoboards I've read the common American point of view that lights are bad for T's where as in my home country (and the rest of Europe as far as I know) lights above T cages are quite the standard setup. Actually in most German books it's written which bulbs you should use and where to place them and so on.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These tanks don't look particularly special to me. They are just nicely arranged in a tight fitting manner in a well decorated and arranged room. Show a local carpenter the picture, buy a bunch of 5 gallon tanks or something and you are set.

T's definitely don't like light. I think all experienced people agree with that. I don't think it's exactly bad for them, but it's inconsiderate to the T to have it too well lit.

Of course, aesthetics come first, if it's your home, as long as you are not actually harming the T. So it all comes down to what you are going for in your setup.

I would be surprised that Europeans are more into lighting their T's since it seems like it's the Brits that are the hard core "don't handle your T's" people. At least that's the way it seems from what I've read on these boards.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The tanks are nicely close-set because the lids fit into the inset lip of each tank instead of having to fit over the edges.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i have to agree that is a well organized setup, although i would loose the lighting. also i do have to agree that those look like alot of the european tanks i have seen, they have way better tanks than us americans have....i have seen all kinds of awsome aboreal and burrowing tanks that you can only get in europe, the only problem i will point out is....unless you can pull out each shelf like a drawer then it would just be a pain to do feeding and regular clean up,

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T's definitely don't like light. I think all experienced people agree with that.
I'd have to disagree with that. As I mentioned earlier, there was a discussion about this on another board. Some very experienced people offered comments about having observed tarantulas basking both in captivity and in the wild. Some species do this much more than others. For some species lights would not be necessary or appropriate. But for some it's a step closer to natural conditions that tarantulas take advantage of in the wild.

Generally when I see someone post a message saying "ALL tarantulas like/dislike ###" it sends up warning flags. Tarantulas are a large, diverse group that we simply don't know enough about. We don't have the research done to be able to state that "all t's definitely don't like light", and there is plenty of evidence out there to show that some definitely seek it out in the wild.

Not trying to pick on a particular individual here - but I do want to challenge a claim that I think is wrong.

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd have to disagree with that. As I mentioned earlier, there was a discussion about this on another board. Some very experienced people offered comments about having observed tarantulas basking both in captivity and in the wild.
Bill, in these discussions, is mention made of using full spectrum lights, intensity, etc.? Just curious.

Also, given that tarantulas are poikilotherms, attraction to light in the wild might not be so much for the light per se but for temperature regulation. Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

Paulie B

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am sure that the lighting is purely for display purposes folks. Atrax knows his T's and I am sure is fully aware of lighting set ups.

hats off, fantastic set up and fair play to him.