Unlike any G rosea I have ever seen, RCF or not

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
So, I bought this thing as a G rosea RCF, or to be exact, a "Chilean Flame Rose". Here is what she looked like when I bought her:

She did not look too different from either a regular G rosea in bad need of a molt, or maybe a RCF with the same problem. Though, several people on here said she looked nothing like a G rosea. Well, now that she has molted, I think maybe I agree with them. She molted today, and here is what she looks like now:

She has a LOT more pink than I thought a RCF would have. Any ideas on what she might be? Oh, and she is a girl, right?
(molt for sexing- http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii258/invertsandstuff/g_rosearcfmolt1.jpg)

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
100% girl...

Besides being the brightest pink example I've seen, she looks all G. rosea to me. Possibly some other Grammastola sp. as well.

Either way it's one beautiful tarantula. Maybe one of our Grammastola experts can weigh in on it...

Scott

Jojos

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know nothing about T but she may be from the red phase? I find it beautiful!:D . Send it to me if you don't want it.;)

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I definitely want her for myself, but I need to be certain she is a rosea before I try to breed her with my MM G rosea RCF.

Looking at the example of RCF G rosea in the gallery here, there seems to be a decent bit of variation in colors. Perhaps she is just weird?

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow - she looks exactly like my rose hair after her last molt!

edit: on second look the pink areas on yours are more reddish on mine and the grey seems to be more black. That might just be color artifacts from the flash though?

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
The first picture is with flash, the second is without.

Granted, this is my first time having a RCF rosea molt in my care, but she still looks nothing like the other ones I have. For example:

The colors on this new girl are all wonky. There is almost no dark undercoat on the legs, and instead of red, brown, or rust, she is pink! Mirror patch is exactly the same, though, and overall body shape. Are there other species of Grammostola that are pink? Or maybe she is a weird color morph? Or will these colors fade into something more like the normal RCF?

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Here are some other pics I had taken. I think you can see the mirror patch in the one:

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How long since she molted? Looks like she just needs to harden up. She and her fangs will get darker.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I think she molted today. I pulled out the molt, and it was still wet. I was thinking that might be it, but I have not seen that dramatic a difference in color with any of my other T's right after molt.

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hm. I went back and checked my girl out and her legs are darker than yours. The rest is very similar though.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She looks quite nice. I would wait until she was eating for a couple of weeks before trying the male again.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
100% girl...

Besides being the brightest pink example I've seen, she looks all G. rosea to me. Possibly some other Grammastola sp. as well.

Either way it's one beautiful tarantula. Maybe one of our Grammastola experts can weigh in on it...

Scott
i dont know if its anything other than a rosea. What i do know is that you cant tell from those pics that its 100% female

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
This girl has not bred yet. I want to make absolutely sure that she is a G rosea first. Anyone think she isnt? The first time I posted that first picture, I had a couple people say that.

Honestly, I am not convinced yet. She looks too... weird.

Last edited:

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i dont know if its anything other than a rosea. What i do know is that you cant tell from those pics that its 100% female
There is a link at the bottom of the first post to a photo of her molted exuvium, and it's 110 % female ;P

Last edited:

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My RCF rosea molted and was a very very bright red immediately afterward. A month later and she has dulled down a bit.. more toward the orange-ish color I've seen with RCF's.

Her molt was still wet when I took this pic at the beginning of November:

And here is one taken at the end of December:

The fluorescent lighting in the 2nd pic isn't all that great as it was taken in a bedroom (softer/dimmer light) compared to the brighter kitchen light of the 1st pic.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Wyvern, I was actually looking at that pic a lot. Its in the Gallery ;)

The thing that still has me hung up is how her legs dont have the dark undercoat. I have not seen that in ANY G rosea, especially after a molt. Usually, they get darker after molting, not lighter. And the feet are dark, while the legs are lighter.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you have a RCF MM available, breed her while you have the chance. Worst case is if you find out it's not a rosea, don't let the sack hatch out. This is assuming that it's even fertile and/or you actually get a sack.

At the rate this species grows, you'll have about ten years to double check yourself before breeding out another generation anyway :rolleyes:

Scott

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm I think it's just a G. rosea RCF IMO. If you don't believe me then what about maybe considering Grammostola concepcion? Whatever it is nice spider. :)

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"Well, Thats a Tarantula of a Different Color!" as the munchins in the Wizard of T's would say.

she looks very similar to the RCF we had at the store, all tho her colors are a bit brighter pink and less deep red they look similar, i would just go ahead with the breeding its for sure a Grammastola and im willing to bet almost 90% its just a really good RCF. i wouldnt stress to much over color becuz if we know one thing about Rosies...they ARE NOT NORMAL! haha