Humidity?

Neophyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm having issues with keeping the humidity up for my tarantulas. I'm somewhat new to this and I'm looking for tips for better humidity. I mist their tanks every day, which is pretty much all I do to keep it up and it just doesn't do the job. I'm hoping maybe you guys could help me out?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't pay attention to the humidity with any of my Ts and they do just fine.

Neophyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's mostly for my rosie. The humidity is pretty low and Im pretty sure thats bad for when she molts. I've noticed also that two of my t's havent been eating aswell and Im starting to believe they arent comfortable. Im guessing since Ive done everything else the best I could do is raise the humidity :/

Singbluemymind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's mostly for my rosie. The humidity is pretty low and Im pretty sure thats bad for when she molts. I've noticed also that two of my t's havent been eating aswell and Im starting to believe they arent comfortable. Im guessing since Ive done everything else the best I could do is raise the humidity :/
first rosies should be in a bone dry tank with a water dish, no humidity.
second what kind of T's do you have? rosies are known to stop eating for months on end for no reason at all, so are the branchys.
your probably over worried try looking up care sheets online and if you need humidity make the bedding moist

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Never mist your G. rosea ever again, they hate it and the stress is bad for them. They are from the driest desert on the face of the planet, they do fine with just a water dish.

Humidity does not affect molting in any species I don't know where people keep getting that - internal hydration (having drinking water) is what matters. Now, if you have a high humidity species like T. blondi and don't keep it humid it might molt badly, but that's because it's a rainforest species and dehydrates without drinking water AND a humid environment.

Tarantulas not eating is perfectly normal. As long as they aren't losing weight, most Ts of any real size can go months or years without eating. Sometimes they do just because they feel like it, or because you fed them too much.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Humidity does not affect molting in any species I don't know where people keep getting that - internal hydration (having drinking water) is what matters. Now, if you have a high humidity species like T. blondi and don't keep it humid it might molt badly, but that's because it's a rainforest species and dehydrates without drinking water AND a humid environment.
Interesting how you go out of the way to bold your text, but then go on to make exceptions lol.

There are many other Ts that do better in humid environment and I have noticed that moisture in a tank of a T that is in premolt can often times trigger the molt especially if it has been in premolt for a long time. I am not in any way discrediting the internal hydration comments I believe those to be true as well, but humidity plays a roll with more then just the blondi.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Interesting how you go out of the way to bold your text, but then go on to make exceptions lol.
I probably should have clarified, I was referring to the fact that a lot of people seem to think they have to suddenly soak the tank when they see a spider spinning a molting mat. Snakes shedding their skin work that way, but a spider popping its old exoskeleton is completely different.

Keeping a T with its proper humidity needs *all the time* is another story, and they should be kept in the right conditions whether the owner realizes they're five minutes from molting or not. Last-minute soaking the tank probably won't do anything but annoy the spider. That's what I meant. :) (I have a habit of posting short on sleep lately, I should probably stop.)

Neophyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wasnt necesarily going to soak the tank, Id like to keep my t's in a somewhat comfortable amount of humidity. I had also heard that they could molt badly if the humidity isnt good. Since mine is so low, I want to make sure it's okay and they will molt properly; and if not, how to raise it up a bit.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How low is so low? And how reliable is your measurement? I currently have 2 humidity gauge, 1 shows 55%, one shows 31%.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't know man, after watching my roaches get stuck in a few molts when the humidity is low, I have decided to always boost humidity before any invert molts.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Every T has a place humidity-wise that it'd rather not go. G rosea (as stated) hate high moisture environments but there is such a thing as too dry for them too. I've noticed that in winters here when it gets really REALLY dry (15-20% rh) even the G roseas will start huddling around the water dish. Then and only then i will pour some water in a corner for them to bask in and they happily do so. The other 300 days of the year a rh of 35%-45% in the room is fine for them. Right now i'm running my humidifier all day long and still can't get it over 30%.

Also just to clarify for the readers, I maintain humidity in-tank for all species that need it but having a higher rh in the room makes that easier. A humidifier alone is not sufficient for avics, blondi's, etc.