Incubator Tutorial

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Decided to do a tutorial on how to go about making an incubator. I got the original idea from Cossor (thanks, man!!) and decided to change it up a bit...had some issues with the lid on the original version. I believe that Cossor himself has begun using a plastic shoe box instead of a KK. All three versions work great! The incubator is pretty much the same, just changed the outside container. This holds great humidity, upwards of 90% plus!! My T room is heated and sealed so my incubators are at about 82* and 96% humidity with no mold or other issues.

[youtube]Ri-m9ZMV-ZU[/youtube]

arachnube

Arachnopeon
Thats cool and simple. Nice work. So what do you do if you get too much humidity after the slings hatch? Stupid question?

What kind of slings were those?

SRirish

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome vid. Now all I need to do is pick which T I want to breed =)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No ventilation = fail.
As I mentioned already on the ATS you might get away with it every now and then but lack of airflow can destroy all your efforts in a single day causing killer outbreaks of mold and mites even rotting them dead.
I would never tape the entire lid like that or use a lid that did not permit air circulation.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No ventilation = fail.
As I mentioned already on the ATS you might get away with it every now and then but lack of airflow can destroy all your efforts in a single day causing killer outbreaks of mold and mites even rotting them dead.
I would never tape the entire lid like that or use a lid that did not permit air circulation.
I left that step out of the tutorial and it's a good point. On the KK lid, there are tiny pin-prick holes all over it for venilation. And the larger Sterilite container doesn't seal all the way (so I will be watching closely for when they start moving around and climbing). I will note that many people have used the KK method, with NO venilation, and have had great success. I agree with some venilation though....

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats cool and simple. Nice work. So what do you do if you get too much humidity after the slings hatch? Stupid question?

What kind of slings were those?
I either seperate them once they hatch into 1st or 2nd instars or I will place them all together in a deli lined with a coffee filter.

The KK has P. Ornata eggs...

binary71

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
another great video. I have actually watched cossar's video and both ideas are great.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
another great video. I have actually watched cossar's video and both ideas are great.
Thank you! I read cossor's threads but haven't seen a video - can you send me a link? I'd love to see it! Thanks!!

binary71

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you! I read cossor's threads but haven't seen a video - can you send me a link? I'd love to see it! Thanks!!
I was looking over there and cant find a vid. I know a saw a tutorial for the kritter keeper one but i cant seem to find it. Maybe it was just a thread and not a vid. sorry for the mixup. I didnt realize you were a member there as well until tonight. No wonder i am seeing your name so much...lol..

great videos though. I have learned a lot from them.

-Exotic

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Small question Rob Will this incubator work for pray mantis egg sacs?

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was looking over there and cant find a vid. I know a saw a tutorial for the kritter keeper one but i cant seem to find it. Maybe it was just a thread and not a vid. sorry for the mixup. I didnt realize you were a member there as well until tonight. No wonder i am seeing your name so much...lol..

great videos though. I have learned a lot from them.
Thank you!! Check your PM. :D

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Small question Rob Will this incubator work for pray mantis egg sacs?
I really don't know, I don't know anything about praying mantis'...though I'd like to get some.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great video and great timing. I'm finally starting to get into some breeding, and got my first sac last week. I'm going to build one of these this weekend!

One quick question. You didn't mention in the video what the stock number/size is for the inner container. I'm sure I could eyeball it, but if you have the info handy it would be much appreciated...