Adult A. chalcodes- Seriously seasonal feeders?

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do these things ever eat? Does anyone who owns one find that they perhaps eat only during the summer months?

I acquired an adult female Aphonopelma chalcodes in September of 2007. I had it for almost 6 months. It was one of the ones I lost during the cross country move in late February 2008. It always looked plump and heathy, and it drank regulary, but it never ate for me.

Fast forward to October 2008. I acquired another adult in a trade that also looks good, drinks water and has not eaten in the amost 4 months I've had it. The only common denominator, besides species, is that it's always been through the winter months. Neither appeared to be in pre-molt. I keep the t room warm, and have had, and currently have, several other Aphonopelma species that eat year round for me.

Any insights from other Desert Blonde owners would be greatly appreciated. If there is only a small seasonal window to feed, I want to make sure to load her up while I can ;)

Thanks,
Scott

naganalf1

Arachnopeon
my two

I'm actually quite relieved to see your post ... I have had two A. chalcodes slings for nearly 2 months now and they have no interest in eating. It's completely different from my G. pulchra slings and my B. vagans sling, who regularly eat twice a week. It's been driving me nuts and yet they look fine -- nice size abdomens.

I was disappointed that no one else with A. chalcodes experience answered your post, but at least I know I'm not alone.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I keep several Aphonopelma including A. chalcodes. Mine tend to eat until pretty plump then stop for a few months. I don't think what your experiencing is unusual. Seems like there metabolism is so slow they just don't need to eat very often.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

I was disappointed that no one else with A. chalcodes experience answered your post, but at least I know I'm not alone.

Yes, I guess that this is not the most "en vogue" of species. I had actually forgotten that I posted this :D

Mine still looks great and still has not eaten. I have high hopes that she will in the next month or two when things start warming up around here...

Thanks to both of you for the replies!

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hadn't noticed the original post - but I've got two locally caught A. chalcodes. Both stopped eating in about October. The smaller of the two dug itself a burrow and walled itself off. Neither fed all winter long. The little one emerged a few days ago and pounced on the first cricket it saw. The larger one hasn't eaten yet - but it looks very plump and is probably in pre-molt.

I also have a Scolopendra heros - the local gaint of the centipede world. It, like the smaller of the tarantulas, was caught in my house. (The larger tarantula was caught outside on the steps.) The Scolopendra went underground and dormant about the same time the tarantulas did, and it emerged and ate its first cricket the same day the small A. chalcodes did. Tucson and area get some freezing temps during the winter, and food sources for tarantulas and centipedes notably decreases, so I guess it makes sense that they dig in and go dormant during that time.

varanidfan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a male A.chalcodes and it hasnt eaten in the last 2 months as well. Just as the rest of you It's nice and plump and drinks regularly. Great T's!

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thought I'd bump this thread back up for a couple of reasons...

We seem to have had a lot of posts lately with the theme, "my tarantula has not eaten in a few days or weeks". I thought it would be good to show some of our newer members what a tarantula not eating for an extended period really means ;)

Also, just wanted to give an anniversary update. It's been just about one year and this girl has still not eaten a single thing! Based on the dark abdomen, I believe she's been in pre molt the entire time. Lately it's become a bit darker, and she is stiffening up, so I believe the molt may finally be coming. However I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen until spring 2010.

Here is a pic from today. As you can see, she is still looking good!

Enjoy,
Scott

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pretty girl and oh my a year without feeding!

Just goes to show how resilient and carefree *some* T's can be :D

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Chalcodes are notorious for this.
I had one for over a year and it never ate in my care. I sold her, and she didn't eat for the next owner either before he finally gave her to someone else.

lilmoonrabbit

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow, that is a beautiful spider. Seriously, I had no idea that species could be so pretty.

One is officially on my list of Ts to get, now :)

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, she's a beauty, and really cheap to feed ;)

I may need to start marketing these as Aphonopelma Sp. recession. Their appetite is guaranteed to slow down right along with the economy {D

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow, that is a beautiful spider. Seriously, I had no idea that species could be so pretty.

Maybe the best handling T ever...virtually impossible to get them to even think about biting.

thumpersalley

Roach Lovers Mom
Old Timer
I have one & she eats every other week. I wasnt aware of them being notorious for not eating until today when I read the post. Shes very aggressive too & will attack anything that moves in her tank. Even the water when I pour it in her dish. Guess Im lucky? Kim :?

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have one & she eats every other week. I wasnt aware of them being notorious for not eating until today when I read the post. Shes very aggressive too & will attack anything that moves in her tank. Even the water when I pour it in her dish. Guess Im lucky? Kim :?
How big is yours? Adults are known to go through some seriously long pre molt periods. Don't be surprised, or necessarily alarmed if yours eventually does something like this.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, she's a beauty, and really cheap to feed ;)

I may need to start marketing these as Aphonopelma Sp. recession. Their appetite is guaranteed to slow down right along with the economy {D
LOL Marketing at it's finest! {D

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL Marketing at it's finest! {D
Can you tell that I'm in corporate sales {D

Thumpersalley- Feel free to add your info to this thread if yours stops eating. I'm hoping to eventually update this with a fresh molt pic and first meal report. It should make for an interesting record. Much like what JimM reported, the person I traded her for told me she hadn't eaten in the six months prior to me picking her up. Who knows how long it's actually been...

If nothing else she's teaching me to be patient :rolleyes:

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A.Chalcodes

You should see what I believe to be variants of A.Chalcodes Flagstaff Orange,New River Rust Rump,Payson Blonde etc.

Ether Imp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You should see what I believe to be variants of A.Chalcodes Flagstaff Orange,New River Rust Rump,Payson Blonde etc.
I have Payson blondes (I believe.. or something close.) I'm always shocked when I see people say "Aphonopelmas are dull looking."

I'll get some good pictures up eventually of my Mature Female. She's beautiful.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have Payson blondes (I believe.. or something close.) I'm always shocked when I see people say "Aphonopelmas are dull looking."

I'll get some good pictures up eventually of my Mature Female. She's beautiful.
Same here. I wish there was more widespread interest in our US native species. Get those pics up!