What do you prefer: raising T's from slings or buying T's full grown?opinions?

NEMESIS_112

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just wondering how many people prefer to raise T's from slings or buying them full grown. On my part being a newcomer to the tarantula world I believe it is better to raise a tarantula from a sling, that way you know your tarantula. Buying a full grown tarantula is wierd for me, its like if i dont even know that T. well thats my opinion any one else?:cool:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Raising from spiderlings.
I have only bought one or two full-grown spiders, mainly for breeding reasons.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i prefer juvi's. i dont like slings b/c theyre delicate and have none of their adult colors, and buying the adults you have no fun watching it grow. so i say anything that has its adult colors but thats not an adult. unless you get an awesome price for an adult, then who wouldnt get it?

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since I got my first slings I prefer them to buying adults. I like the slightly higher attention requirements and it is certainly cheaper to buy slings than adults. Its really fun watching them grow and change. You have the advantage of knowing the history of the adult spider when you've raised it from a sling so you know it hasn't gone through any periods of starvation or dehydration.

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now that I own both a sling and an adult, I would definitely say I prefer starting with a sling. Although waiting for molts and new developments seems frustrating at the moment, looking back on it will make owning the spider that much more rewarding.

Despite this I adore Aggie already and she hasn't given me any reason to be afraid of her rather than simply respectful and cautious, but I don't feel as confident with her as I do with Bungee - like Buspirone said, not knowing her history. Although I am sure as I get to know her quirks this feeling will fade. :)

Greensleeves

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that a person's first and maybe second tarantula should be an adult or at least a large juvie. I feel this way because the older they are, IME, the more tollerable they are to our ignorance of their needs.

Jon

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Both!

Actually, I like both and think a good balance of adults and slings is what works best for me. I like being able to enjoy my adults with their markings, colors, and good size, but I also like taking care of the slings and watching them get bigger with each molt.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Depends on the species...fast/moderate growing species..slings..Species that are very slow gowers..juvenile and adults...peace..

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
both, but more so slings because you get to watch them grow, go through changes etc...adults they stay the same and you know there wont be much change, but sometimes adult t's are too impressive to pass up.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Slings all the way. I come from the hobby as it existed in the 1980s - literally everything was wild caught and finding a juvenile of a species you wanted (not that anyone even knew the species names ;)) was a major score.

As such, when I got back into the hobby early last year after a few years of being T-less, I was absolutely fascinated by how much it had changed since the last time I had purchased was back in 1990 or so. I can't even imagine purchasing an adult unless it was for breeding purposes or from a fellow hobbyist at this point.

Purchasing slings just makes me feel so much more like I'm part of a larger hobby than a pet trade. I am supporting captive breeding efforts and the dealers who work hard to make the hobby the what it is. At the same time, I can buy a lot more specimens than I would otherwise. Most of all, watching baby Ts grow up is just so dang cool.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lately I have just been buying slings because its kinda fun watching them grow, and they are much cheaper than adults, and they have a really nice chance of making it through to adulthood.

NEMESIS_112

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The best thing of the day for me after going to work and school is getting home at 10pm and feeding my T's and watching the improvements.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If there is one that I stumble across that I want, and the price is right, I'd probably buy it adult or sling.

That being said - I like to be at the point where the whole collection can eat off the same food supply....So if it can eat medium/large crix, or mealworms - it's in.

NightCrawler

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd prefer juvi's because they most of the time have the adult colors and I can stille watch them grow and have a chance to adapt to their personalities. Don't really like the idear of raising slings because of the higher maintnance. To worried about making mistakes (Sorry for the misspelling)

NEMESIS_112

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How big?

When is it when you consider a T a Juvi? is it the size, or when he gets his colors? when do you consider a T an adult?what do you use as a bae to categorize them into juvi's or adult T?
Nemesis_112:cool:

JBoyer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I prefer slings over adults. The biggest reason is that I can be pretty sure that it was not wild caught and thus I am not contributing to the T's exploitation in the wild. Not to mention how cool it is to watch the sling grow up. It gives me a chance to see the different changes that take place and observe the "spiderality" (same as personality) of each individual as they grow.:D

Hairyspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
re

for me it depends mostly on the cost. If the sling is not much less than a sub or adult, i'd rather go for the sub or adult, cuz if you're not into breeding, as I'm not, you can most assuradly get all fems. Also I'm a very impatient person, so slings for me is torture, waiting for them to mature:D

Later

William

caligulathegod

Arachnodeity
Old Timer
I got my first sling (a C cyaneopubescens) at 3/4 inch and all black and pink striped with little pink leg warmers back in January. Yesterday, he molted for the 4th (or 5th) time and now he's almost 3 inches (forgot my measuring stick at home) and he's got his full adult colors. I can't tell you how excited I am to finally see that green carapace. It's like having a new spider every other month! Slings are so neat. But also, I like having an adult spider around. I have an A Seemanni adult. The adults are cool because you get a full size spider but you really don't know anything about it. It could have all kinds of problems from living a life in the wild and being captured for the pet trade. That said, I love my zebra. After her molt, she became a gorgeous black and white and almost as pretty as an A genic. My vert pets include a scottish terrier raised from puppyhood and a stray cat that adopted us and I love them both. I look upon the zebra as a stray I took in and gave a good home.

Attachments