"Fluff"

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm, mild panic here...

I just went to feed my B.Auratum only to discover a white clump on her abdomen. Fortunately, she's very calm and didn't seem to mind me taking a clean paintbrush to it softly (hair-side) and brushing it away. It came away very easily and stuck to the bristles. It's a greyish-white fluff. Any idea what this could be? I can't get a photo unfortunately.

EDIT: Upon inspection after it seems that it's also taken off a small amount of the 'black' on her abdomen, revealing a little brown opening, almost like a chink in a cars paintwork. Mild panic is swiftly becoming worry...

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sounds like mold to me...also pics would help but sounds like mold...and the brown stuff you wiped off may be 2 things....urticating hairs...or rotted skin from mold growth being on her...my advise is 1. more ventillation....2. bake your substrate 3. and put her in a clean container till the mold clears up

bobsleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like it may be mould spores - I find them on the odd discarded food bolus that I may have missed during tank clean-ups. They look like white filamentous rods.Are you able to post any pictures of the 'fluff' / abdomen?

All I can suggest is perhaps trying to lower the humidity in your tank to discourage further growth (if it is indeed a mould thing).

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
30th April looks fine, do you mean March 15th? Because yes, that's what it was like.

Once I've cleaned it off do I need to do more or just watch humidity? It's not too threatening is it? Little bit worried, is all.

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm...no pic was posted March 15th ( 'marec' in slovak ):?

I was referring to this pic

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, that was the one I saw, and it looks like that.
As I said, it's not threatening is it? What's the best course of action now? Do I need to bake the substrate? (If so how?) Or should it be okay if I just let the enclosure dry out? Do I really need to move her? I think she's coming up for molt soon is all and I'd rather not stress her too much.

The patch of rotted flesh that came off... will that regrow when she molts or will she always have a little patch there now? =7

I feel like such an idiot... poor thing.

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is there mold in the enclosure? In that picture is my smithi. I was a novice. I thought it was mold. I even bought Betadine (disinfectant)- I'd read on a forum, that I can heal the spot with it. But I didn't have any molt in the enclosure...I decided to ask the others on that forum about it, and they said, it was only a fluff from U hairs...According to them, when the T releases the U hairs, sometimes not every hair is released to the air. Some might "stuck" on the abdomen between ordinary hairs in the form of a gray fluff....

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sometimes, after my T had released U hairs, I saw similar grayish fluffs on his legs...........If there is mold in the enclosure, remove it. You can also lower the humidity a bit, but I wouldn't do it if the T is right befor a molt ( even cosidering that internal humidity is more important than external )........after that, I would wait to see what happens in the enclosure and more importantly on the T. If the spot on his abdomen isn't growing, dont worry, after the molt he will be like new..:) .....If I were you, I would probably do this...but I have to admit, I'm not an experienced T keeper yet, so others might correct me if this resolution isn't correct...

PS. I use coco fiber and before I put it into the enclosure, I put it to the microwave to prevent molt....

Last edited:

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But then why the sudden brown patch on her back?
When I first got her, she'd flicked herself out of hairs, but it wasn't like that I don't think... Well, I guess I should give her time and see how it goes?

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I edited the previous post, but I'm too slow while writing in English, so you posted your post befor I could send my edit..:)

If you remove urticating hairs from the abdomen, there will be a white/grayish spot, which turnes dark before the molt.....is it really brown and not dark gray or like graphite? ....can you take a photo?

Btw-I think, the advice about increasing the ventilation is a good one...it can help against the mold...

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think it's mold. I think it's urticating hairs.

I have never seen mold on a tarantula before, only in the enclosure.

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope you guys are right and it is just discarded hair; but the patch is definitely brown, a sandy sort of brown, definitely not the pre-moult grey. I'll get a photo when I can. Cheers for all the help so far, I'm beginning to calm down a bit now ^_^;;

By the way, xhexdx, where did you get the shirt in your display picture? It's awesome.

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
definitely not mold. I'm 100% sure that you are seeing urticating hair. The brown patch is her skin. Everything is normal.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hope you guys are right and it is just discarded hair; but the patch is definitely brown, a sandy sort of brown, definitely not the pre-moult grey. I'll get a photo when I can. Cheers for all the help so far, I'm beginning to calm down a bit now ^_^;;

By the way, xhexdx, where did you get the shirt in your display picture? It's awesome.
And by the way, I couldn't see any of the pictures. I only went on your description.

I got the shirt from Hot Topic back in '03. I got my tattoo a day before I saw the shirt, and it was the same design of the Spider-Man spider. So now I'm always wearing it, twice on days I wear the shirt. ;)

stevetastic

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I hope you guys are right and it is just discarded hair; but the patch is definitely brown, a sandy sort of brown, definitely not the pre-moult grey.

just means its not ready to molt yet. only gets dark gray before the molt. the normal skin color is a sandy pinkish color. Sounds like it is just being a hair kicking brachy.

maxi_kdu

Arachnopeon
A dense bunch of U-hair under some lighting condition is what i am thinking about.

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, thanks for all the input and sorry for the mild panic.
It seems most likely that yes, then, it was ,in fact, just a clump of U-hairs.

Thank you all kindly for your advice and well-wishes!