Dermestid beetles

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How many people here are interested in dermestid beetles, the kind that strip dead flesh from bone?

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
here's a picture I took today while feeding my colony on crickets and dog food:

I'd love to know the species, but I don't have a key.

They swarm around the food, getting into every nook and cranny, hollowing it out until all that is left is a delicate shell. My colony is smaller than it used to be, it's at the 500 mark or so, I'm building it up again since I've had some interest in people buying from me.

Also they can clean arthropods for you as well as verts, you just have to be careful and patient.
I have some complete invertebrates I've hollowed out using dermestids. If you want I'll take some pics later, great fun to hold hollow bugs up to the light...

Last edited:

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I find these little critters very interesting, the larvae eat EVERYTHING. I also feed the small ones to S'lings and smaller true spiders. they seem to work well.

choobaine, your species might be dermestes peruvianus if you found them in the british isles.. these seem to be te most common ones.

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm I think I'll do a bit of research, I'm having my doubts about D. peruvianus... this site seems to be a good catalogue of dermestid species. Nice photographs too. I need to have a browse later, see if there's anything with ridged elytra and an absence (or at least it's veerrrrry sparse and hardly noticable) of setae on both larva and beetles...

Last edited:

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bugguide was very helpful when it came to identifying my larva. I simply posted a few images in ID request (including info of how large it was and what location i was in), and it got idenitified to species level by one of their experts

http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740

good luck!

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pardon the ignorance on these animals, but is it correct to say that they eat dead bugs but don't bother live ones? In other words, can you keep them in with your feeders to eat those that die of natural causes without worrying that they will attack the live feeders?

Seems like something I'd like to put in with my lateralis. would they eat egg cases?

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pardon the ignorance on these animals, but is it correct to say that they eat dead bugs but don't bother live ones? In other words, can you keep them in with your feeders to eat those that die of natural causes without worrying that they will attack the live feeders?

Seems like something I'd like to put in with my lateralis. would they eat egg cases?
i dont think so. i used to get 'em when i had to buy crickets for some of my now deceased herps. they're probably great at eating dead bugs in the colony and old exuvia

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We keep colonies of dermestids in with our cricket feeders. They certainly DO catch and eat live crickets (pinheads up to 10 days). I have personally watched it happen. I would never in a zillion years risk feeding a larva to a small sling. They do a wonderful job of keeping the smell to a minimum in the cricket tanks, however. :) We have also introduced them to a very large G.portentosa colony with good results thus far.

Vulgaris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes I agree with Rochelle. I have witnessed these dermestid larvae actually eating into live crickets. The larvae seem to just grab on to the back of a cricket and ride around, and they start eating the cricket eventually. I have seen this at pet stores too. Seems to happen when the tank is REALLy over crowded

But they also like to eat the cricket food too

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have also witnessed this type of behaviour in dermestids. I have seen larvae attack smaller larvae if they haven't fed for a while.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We keep colonies of dermestids in with our cricket feeders. They certainly DO catch and eat live crickets (pinheads up to 10 days). I have personally watched it happen. I would never in a zillion years risk feeding a larva to a small sling. They do a wonderful job of keeping the smell to a minimum in the cricket tanks, however. :) We have also introduced them to a very large G.portentosa colony with good results thus far.
So I guess putting them in with my lateralis would be only a moderate idea, not a good one, then? I do hate dead roaches and exuvia, but I would also hate any of the roachlings to get munched.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have three species living in various roach colonies without any issues (not all three seem to live together, its one or two at best in with any particular roach species). They eat leftover roach food, any dead roach (my adults grow old and then "disappear") and seem to eat old molts, frass, cardboard, or anything else other than plastic or eggshell. I have the most of them growing in my bin of B.dubia, and the smaller of them thrives in with the N.cinerea. Another lives with about all my hisser types. I had a fourth larger variety with a white underside but they seem to have disappeared... then there are the tiny tiny micro-mealworm beetles in with all the roach bins, and I have no idea what they feed on (can only guess).

So overall I would say its safe to have them in there...

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
agree

i have them in with my chopardi and they keep the bottom clean and consume adults that happento die.they seen to congregate on the dog food dish.
andy

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I used to have a huge colony of them. I would clean skulls for hunters. Then, one dark snowy night, someone turned off the heat source and they all died..... there went my business... oh well, they stunk really bad anyway.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My colony runs between 1000 and 2000 beetles and it has been driving me nuts. They eat every scrap of meat I give them before I can get anything else. Any good techniques for quickly drying out meat? I ask because the colony goes up and down, up and down since I can't keep giving them a steady supply of small animals and skulls.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I would put in some cat food to keep them going in times of no meat. But that was rare occations..

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just left some beef heart in the oven on 250 for about 2 and a half hours, I guess this is as good as any other way, the beetles sure don't seem to mind it.