noexcuse4you photo thread

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I didn't like my old photos, and apparently neither did anyone else, so I'm starting a new thread. Critique, suggestions, and comments are welcome.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sure other people liked your photos, I enjoyed seeing them.
Suggestion: Action shots would be cool, ie threat pose, flicking hairs, etc etc.
Different backrounds would be cool too, ie an Avicularia sp. on a plant, or a pokie in a tree would be especially cool.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If the other people didn't like your other thread, then they are fools! My goal is to try and get mine to look like yours(and syndicate and greyhalo's lol)

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey, thanks for the support guys! From now on, I promise to only post pics that look "natural", have "dimension and clarity", and aren't "flat colorful pancakes."

Also, Rick, I appreciate your feedback about my background. I do admit that the cork is getting pretty old. I'll seek out some new backdrops.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The first photo is a little underexposed and still somewhat flat. What settings did you use?

I like the second one though.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The first photo is a little underexposed and still somewhat flat. What settings did you use?

I like the second one though.
According to my histogram and my calibrated monitor, the first image isn't really underexposed. If you look at the cork bark in both images, they are both at the same exposure level. I used the same exact settings as my previous photos, only I lowered the fstop and put a big diffuser in between the flash and the subject.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
According to my histogram and my calibrated monitor, the first image isn't really underexposed. If you look at the cork bark in both images, they are both at the same exposure level. I used the same exact settings as my previous photos, only I lowered the fstop and put a big diffuser in between the flash and the subject.

The diffuser definitely made the picture darker. Comparing the cork bark in the first pic to that in the second, you can clearly see that the one in the second is brighter. Either that, or there is something wrong with my computer screen settings, of course.

Edit: Oh well, nevermind, it just looks slightly underexposed to me - it could simply be my screen settings or my eyes. I'm done here.

Last edited:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kyle, in case you're wondering what Imperator means, have a look at this:

Compare this photo to yours. The difference is obvious.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I should have mentioned that if you think something is wrong with my photos, then suggest a way to fix it. Please don't just tell me to fix it, tell me how. Also, Gavin, your photo is out of place in this part of the forum. This part of the forum is titled "Tarantula Pictures" and also the title of this thread is "noexcuse4you photo thread". If you would like to give me an example of your own photos, please utilize the PM function. Also, the "pop" you are showing is due to the distance between the eyes of the frog and its body. The depth of field is very narrow. I try to limit the out of focus areas on the tarantula as much as possible. If I focused on only the eyes, then half the legs would be out of focus. I suppose I could try and shoot at a different angle so there is more distance between the background and the subject which would cause it to pop. Maybe I'll try that. Also in your photo, the lighting is very harsh and comes from an on-board flash so the shadows are not natural. It has a very "deer in the headlight" look.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Kyle,
You have great photos. :)

The avic itself on the photo is alittle underexposed. I used to have the same problem, now I just overexpose everything and fix it later. It's easier for me to fix a overexposed image than one that is underexposed. And, for me the eyes are the main focus point, if it's out of focus I trash the image.