Emergency questions!! please help.

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I bought a RCF rosea female from a lps today. Apparantly the breeder, supplier, whatever, didn't keep them in the best conditions. The manager went to pick up the spider from the person and he said that it molted today. Well obviously the molt didn't go so well because its missing a leg. I get the spider home and there are little worms crawling on it. Unfornately I got them off and killed them before thinking of taking pictures of them to show you guys. My question is since its FRESHLY molted, should I put her in an ICU? The wound where the leg is missing has dirt caked on it. Should I try and remove the dirt? Please advise. Pics are on the way.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Leave the dirt alone, it's helping to clot the wound (if you wanna think of it that way). ICU shouldn't be necessary. Just CAREFULLY get it into it's enclosure with a hide and waterdish available, and leave it be for a week or so. Make sure water is available at all times. If you notice any bleeding, let us know. Don't feed it until the fangs are black, and post some pictures of the front legs and palps when you can, granted it could be malnourished and dehydrated, but that abdomen reminds me of a MM. That's more curiousity than anything though.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Put her in ICU if it is a female either way, in a container with moist paper towels and a water cap of some sort for right now!! I hope for the best! It is really red.

Kris

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm curious as to why you think an ICU is necessary right now. Legs come off in molts all the time, and while the T doesn't look like it's in great shape, it came through the molt less one leg with no other apparent issue (that can't be fixed by a normal habitat with a lot of H2O to drink). It's normal enclosure with a water dish right next to the hide should suffice.

Last edited:

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know its not a MM. I'll get some shots of the front of her. Thats what I was thinking is to get it in a clean enviornment and let it recover. I'll post pics in a sec.

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It does look a lot like a male judging by the small abdomen. Definately not a MM no hooks or boxing gloves. I think its just dehydration and poor living conditions. Here are the front legs.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for posting those. I'd definately agree no MM. I'm gonna have to say that your new T just needs water. And food eventually of course.

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BTW i just got a good look at the fangs. They are dark black. Looks like she didn't molt today after all. So he not only doesn't take care of them he lies. I just opened the other deli cup to rehome the other rcf female and take a look at this pic. This is the foot.

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We just tried to take her out of the deli cup and got a threat pose. Doesn't look like she is happy. They are gonna be much better off at my house.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We just tried to take her out of the deli cup and got a threat pose. Doesn't look like she is happy. They are gonna be much better off at my house.

That looks like too many crickets in the enclosure and they got hungry.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good thing she didn't molt today because that poor girl is in desperate need of one.

BTW i just got a good look at the fangs. They are dark black. Looks like she didn't molt today after all. So he not only doesn't take care of them he lies. I just opened the other deli cup to rehome the other rcf female and take a look at this pic. This is the foot.

Keith1212

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow i feel really bad for that t. tho i would feel much worse if it was still in the other guys care. Atleast it is now on the road to recovery with a good owner.

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I cant express how much it angers me. These spiders are absolutely beautiful less the flaws of course. Too bad they couldn't help what their owner did to them. So thats what crickets can do to a T. I've never witnessed that, probably because I take the crickets out when they aren't eaten. Man it really is upsetting. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow i feel really bad for that t. tho i would feel much worse if it was still in the other guys care. Atleast it is now on the road to recovery with a good owner.
Thanks a lot Keith, that means a lot. Words well put. I can gurantee they are in much better hands now.

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here is the one with the missing leg.

Here is the girl with a missing toe.

Another of the missing toe girl

Absolutely no lack of beauty there.

Aubrey Sidwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the first series of photos, the first two showing the abdomen, make it real clear that the spider is in desperate need of food and water. The abdomen should be much bigger on that species even if it's not well fed. The worms could have been attracted to the rotting leg that was lost and maybe they were trying to get into the wound before it sealed up where the missing leg is. The tip of the leg in the photo that shows trauma most likely was pinched in a container while ptting on the lid. I have a 2.5 inch G. pulchra that managed to swing the end of a leg right up into the crevice of a 16 oz deli cup just as I was snapping the lid on and the damage to the tip of the leg looks similar. It will obviously be healed by the next molt so your main issue is getting it hydrated and eating enough to make it to the next molt.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would go ahead and see if it would take a cricket. As long as you are positive it hasn't molted.