communal P regalis setup

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I received 10 P regalis slings from Botar (thanks!) today, and released 8 of them into my community 10 gallon aquarium.
This is obviously an experiment, but I'm hoping to duplicate the sucess that Metallica is having with his. (if you have any tips for me, let me know)!
There are 2 live plants in pots (all soil cleaned, pots sterilized, pesticide and fertilizer free), a sandblasted (and once sterile) piece of driftwood, and a small water bowl. I also have a very small pop lid with dog food for the numerous crickets I released into there.
They are sac mates, and I've given them plenty of hiding places, so I hope this works. I can't see any of them right now, which may be a good thing :)
I'll give updates as we progress.
And I kept 2 out, just in case this is a complete fiasco!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
oops, forgot to attach a pic...here it is

Last edited:

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice set-up, but I'm wondering if there's enough hiding places in there for 8 slings.

You might want to add a couple pieces of cork bark or something.

Jim B.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
the driftwood is mostly hollow, it's hard to tell in the pic.
But I'm wondering about more hiding places too, I have plenty of corkbark so it's no problem to add if needed...

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Am I the only one who wants to see more pics?? :)

I hope everything works out with your 'little' experiment!

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!

Did Botar manage to breed a P. Regalis in order for you to have 8 slings to burn?

I seriously wish you all the luck in the world, cuase if your successfull ill be hoping on this bandwagon in no time ::hopes P.regalis juvy is female::

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I tried the P. regalis community thing with 4 specimens in a custom 3'x3'x4'high enclosure. It lasted about a year.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
thanks everyone. Andrew...can you give me any more details on how you kept them, fed them, what was in the enclosure, and what you think caused the cannabalism?
I'm going to be keeping copious notes on this, and need all the input I can get...thanks!

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Many problems arise with the "community setup" especially with the feeding and hiding aspects like you were asking about. You need to keep a constant supply of food for all of them. This presents some complications because how much is enough?? This depends on how big the tank is, the number of individuals and remember....the more hides you put in for the t's, the more places the food can hide/rot, grow bacteria.
Also, with 8 individuals in that size tank I cant wait to see cleaning day(you know how these guys can move) Id be bringing the tank to the tub for sure or you are likely to have a larger community setup....your whole house!
Give it a try, who knows! I dont think that communal setups work very well for this species. There is speculation that Poecilotheria spp.populations live very close in the wild. This is fine, but when you put them in a captive situation all bets are off. And just because they may live communally in the wild doesnt mean cannibalism doesnt occur there!
Good luck,

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good luck on your set up.

But I have one thing to say. It's NOT POP!

That's one of my biggest pet peeves. It's soda.

Unless by "Small pop lid" you meant something else completely :p

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's NOT POP!
Without anything to reference, I think areas that traditionally get a democratic vote refer to it as "pop", where republicans are more apt to say "soda". I personally swing both ways, with my political affiliations and with my names for carbonated beverages.

Immortal -

Good luck! This is a setup that would be awesome if you could pull it off. I'm assuming you count on at least a few counts of cannibilism, and perhaps the "weaker" slings not being able to find food etc.

I'd consider it a winner if you walk out of this with 5 large sub-adults still living together, in peace and harmony. =D

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Nick..
In Oregon, it's POP...don't ask me why, but if I say 'soda' then I get a funny look :)
Maybe it's SODA in your state ;)

Well, so far, at least 4 of them are eating crickets. In fact, one of them has so many crickets in it's mouth that I first thought I'd already had an act of cannabalism! The bolus is as large as the spider.
I have NO illusions of pokie utopia, and understand that predation on each other is pretty much a given. I would just like to have the setup be as ideal as possible, given that this type of community is either frowned upon, or not alot of info is out there on it.
I will count myself lucky to have 2 of them left ;)

phleck

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Valael
But I have one thing to say. It's NOT POP!

That's one of my biggest pet peeves. It's soda.
Unless you are in the deep south, where we call it "coke" no matter what the actual brand is!

Best of luck on the communal setup! I'm a complete newb, but I'd be interested in seeing how this turns out for ya. :)

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sin,
let me no how it works out i was thinking of trying it out i've heard of people doing it with pinktoes and it working out for awhile.:}

Josh

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah, I've heard the coke one too. (Actually used to call it that occasionally.)

Sorry about the hijack, though :p I've mostly called it Soda my entire life, but all of my relatives (Iowa and Minnesota) call it Pop so it always becomes a big arguement whenever we go to visit.

Just like to tease people about that.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In canada it was called pop because the wagon brining it would hit alot of bumps then POP the cork would fly out!!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
stop with the pop already people..you are taking away the purpose of this thread.....it's all about ME ME ME!!!!!!
ok..just kidding around LOL
But seriously, what pop has a CORK?!

NEMESIS_112

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is not POP, it is Soda!!! my pet peeve also!

And good luck with the tank!:D

FelixA9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
stop with the pop already people..you are taking away the purpose of this thread.....it's all about ME ME ME!!!!!!
ok..just kidding around LOL
But seriously, what pop has a CORK?!

Well he DID say Canada LOL =D (Just kidding)