Singapore Violet

lithiumflower9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I found out this morning my blue is a violet... So now I have some questions. I heard they are terrestrial but mine seems to be aboreal hanging around at the top and on the sides of the cage, rarely on the bottom. Doesn't dig except in the dirt she drug up to her hidie hole. Are they aboreal or terrestrial? Does any one have a picture of the adult coloration? (There was an old thread but the pictures all seem to be gone) Mine looks like this now and is about 2 and 1/2 inches in body length (not including her legs).

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
How did you find out it is a "violet"?

lithiumflower9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First another forum I posted pictures of her on said she's a violet not a blue... so I went back to the site I got her from and he's relabeled them from blue to violet. Can't really lie I'm a little angry about that. All the supposid violets I've seen look like what she does now. I just feel like I paid for something I didn't want exactally. I wouldn't have paid 175 for something I have no idea what will end up looking like.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Ahhh, o.k. What's the sci name of the species he's decided it is? If it's of the same genus, it should behave the same. Although behavior varies even in individuals of the same species.

BTW, she's a beautiful T regardless of what you purchased her as!!;)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
So it's a Lampropelma violaceopes?

lithiumflower9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
On the site I got her from the labeled term for her is
Singapore Violet (Lampropelma violaceopes) but I think the correct one is Singapore Violet (Ornithoctoninae sp."Malaysia"). I think Lampropelma refers to the Singapore Blue. Its confusing and I'm getting a bit confused lol.

I'm still trying to figure out all the diffrences. Only thing I'm really finding is size diffrence and one is aboreal the other is supposidly terrestrial. Since I can't really find adult pics I'm not sure where the diffrences end, begin or why some one would label them as the same spider. I am thinking when they are little they look alot alike (brown with simular colors) and from there the changes and diffrences start. I don't know though. If some one wants to explain the exact diffrences I would be more then happy to listen :D If she really is terrestrial I would like to change her existing set up to better suit her. I just want her in the correct conditions for her to thrive.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey there!
the biggest reason for why its going all arboreal on you is that you have it in an arboreal type of setup. when you think about it, a burrower is just an arboreal that creates the tube underground instead of above it, but im sure it would be much happier in a burrower's setup. if you want to stop by the store, i can give you some tips on a few ways to setup burrowing cages that will still allow you to view your new beauty. i know what you mean about disappointment. i ordered a GBB sling a while bsck and somehow wound up with an E pulcheriklassi instead. the problem with the singapore blue vs. violet is that a long time ago the species you currently have came in labeled as L. violaceopes. when the singapore blue first came on the scene a few years back it was labled Cyriaopagus sp. "blue". recently scientists have discovered that Cyriaopagus sp. "blue" is ACTUALLY L. violaceopes, and that the "original" violaceopes is actually a completely different species. this is all very recent, so the distributors are having a hell of a time sorting it out and many people are winding up with the opposite of what they want just like you. if your dealer is a worthwhile businessman, i'm sure they will offer you a refund over the mix up if you are interested. nice to see you on these boards too. welcome to the mothership lol.

John

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
according to most i have talked to the colors of H. robustum do not transfer that well onto film, but they are similar to C. fimbriatus in color with a larger overall violet tint. a far cry from the TRUE L. violaceopes, but still a stunner for sure.

John

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Was taking the common name "Singapore violet" to mean Lampropelma violaceopes.

Well, if she is, in fact, a Haplopelma, then she is definitely a burrowing species and should be kept as such. Put her on about 8" of substrate and watch her disappear!

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well at least I know not to go looking for Singapore Blue for awhile now...

lithiumflower9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'll be changing her set up next week. I'll try to stop in some time then and catch you around. Its been a long time I've had her and I only have my self to blame for not checking to make sure she was what she was suppose to be. :wall: One more question... There are semi aboreal snakes, so it stands to reason there could be semi aboreal spiders... Could this be? I know its not enough but there is atleast 4 inches of subtrate in the bottom. Thanks every one for your help.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
When we say a species is a burrowing, terrestrial or arboreal species, that describes their behavior in the wild. Ts are highly adaptable creatures, they make use of the environments we give them to their liking. While you're not likely to find a G. pulchripes behaving like an arboreal, many burrowing species will adapt to terrestrial life if not given the opportunity to burrow. P. murinus have been known to burrow, web up substrate for a terrestrial home, and build homes higher up in tanks. I had an H. lividum that refused to burrow for the first 6 months, even though she had the oppportunity. Each T is an individual, and will do what's best for itself, not necessarily what we expect from them.

lithiumflower9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know what its refering to when we say aboreal etc. What I'm asking is... I have a few jungle carpet pythons... in the wild, as well as in their cage, they some times live in trees and other times on the ground. In reptiles thats refered to as semi aboreal. So I was wondering if in spiders the same could be true. So I guess what I'm asking is if there is any known species that seems to do both. Like Singapore blues seem to be aboreal burrowers. Because I was thinking about making an enclosure that has pretty deep subtrate but keep a good amount of vertical space with climbing surfaces and hides up high for her still. Kind of like keeping the same amount of space she has now in the top but make the same amount of space below for her to dig in. I don't think it could hurt, just might be harder to find her lol.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
P. murinus have been known to burrow, web up substrate for a terrestrial home, and build homes higher up in tanks.
I guess these guys would qualify for semi arboreal/burrower/terrestrial. If you have enough room in the tank, I say go for it and see what she does with it. The only concern I would have is long falls if she climbs, but if the substrate is soft and there are no hard objects for her to land on, it should be o.k.

lithiumflower9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
:) I'll let you know what she thinks of it when I get it done. Everything is pretty soft in there. Thanks again MizM.