Communal Pokies?

Neophyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Before you all hoard me with comments on how I should use the search function, I did.

Just wondering..
I read somewhere that pokies in general are more tolerant in the same enclosure. I don't know if this is correct or not. Is it just P. Regalis that tolerate living communally or is it possible with other pokies like P. Ornata?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From what I've read as well, P. ornata isn't as good at living communally as regalis is.

I have also read that the trick is to keep them close together so they are forced to interact with each other. If they are able to get away and establish territory, then they are more likely to cannibalize when they do interact.

I have never tried it with pokies though.

--Joe

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would rather say EXCEPT P ornata. They are by far the less communal and sling cannibalism is enormous . Most of the others fare well. I have a multi specific communal with fasciata and pedersenis, all around 2" and it's been almost a year with no fuss. I even introduced a new unrelated individual and I couldn't dinstinguish it in the pile. They sometimes congregate regardless of sp in a corner.

I am lucky but realistic, if higher animals (even humans) reverted to cannibalism in specific occasions, no doubt that it will happen once in a while. But they seem to coexist peacefuly for a while...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was thinking about this a little more, and I seem to remember seeing the communal threads more in the Announcements section than in the Discussions section.

Just a thought.

--Joe

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would rather say EXCEPT P ornata. They are by far the less communal and sling cannibalism is enormous . Most of the others fare well. I have a multi specific communal with fasciata and pedersenis, all around 2" and it's been almost a year with no fuss. I even introduced a new unrelated individual and I couldn't dinstinguish it in the pile. They sometimes congregate regardless of sp in a corner.

I am lucky but realistic, if higher animals (even humans) reverted to cannibalism in specific occasions, no doubt that it will happen once in a while. But they seem to coexist peacefuly for a while...
What size were they when you started the communal and how many did you start with. What size enclosure did you start with?? I'm looking to start a regalis communal with 5 1" slings and I'm not sure what size the enclosure should be.

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sure you all know, but RobC has a few ornata's at 2 inches living very well together. There is also another member who has 30 or so living together if I'm not mistaken. He has a thread in the tarantula pictures sub-forum

maxxx

Arachnopeon
communally

I started a communally of regalis straight from the sack , haven't had a problem yet. They have been force to interact and feed plenty. looks good so far.

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What size container should I put the 5 1" regalis in to start???

maxxx

Arachnopeon
regalis

I would start with a 8x4 x4 inch cube, as soon as possible . Before they start to become aggressive to each other.

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What size container should I put the 5 1" regalis in to start???
I would start with a 8x4 x4 inch cube, as soon as possible . Before they start to become aggressive to each other.
the sooner the better and the smallest size container (within reason) you must force them to have contact with all 4 of the other T's.

by the way i had a community of 8 A. avic for years in a 20gal tall had no problems with them. just keep them well feed

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Personally, I have heard that regalis, fasciata, rufilata, subfusca, formosa, miranda and pederseni all show good communal characteristics. The ones that are questionable are striata, ornata, metallica and tigrinawesseli. Although I have heard of people having some success with metallica, ornata and tigris.

Right now I have 1 communal of 3x p. fasciata running smoothly, so far. They haven't been together for that long but they are showing good communal characteristics. Often times when I check on them, I will find all three huddled up together.{D

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the sooner the better and the smallest size container (within reason) you must force them to have contact with all 4 of the other T's.

by the way i had a community of 8 A. avic for years in a 20gal tall had no problems with them. just keep them well feed
Thanks presurcukr. I'm also starting an A avicularia communal tomorrow if I get them. :) I tried a communal with the 3 A versi's I got from Rob but I think the container was to large. It was actually relatively small but they were REALLY small. They set up their own living spaces almost immediately and quite frankly I didn't prepare well enough. So rather than taking a chance I just seperated them. I think I'll start with the next size down for the container and I'm starting with 5 A avics so that should work. It'll work for the P regalis's too. At least I hope so.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would rather say EXCEPT P ornata.
I disagree ...I have had better luck with P.ornata than with regalis.....A lot more communual behavoir and not one single death od 150. They groom,eat together,hunt together, protect eachother when molting. I wouldn't call any pokie communual, they will tolerate eachother.

jme

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A. versi arent communal good thing you seperated them :rolleyes: and good luck with your future communal attempts cant wait to start one of my own ;)

kaydyn1512

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A. versi arent communal good thing you seperated them :rolleyes: and good luck with your future communal attempts cant wait to start one of my own ;)

Thanks JME.

I received my A avics today, put them in their communal container and they seem to be doing fantastically. At first it was a bit nerve racking but they are starting to huddle together already. There is one I have had to remind that he doesn't live by himself. I had to evict him from his new little place he called his own.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you see Robc making a P. metallica communal? I can't (and you'd know that if you're reading Rob). He was really close to putting his first in a cushioned tarantula cage with a security system. {D I can't imagine him putting them where they could cannibalize.

I subscribed this thread since I'm really interested in pokies now. They're just the most awesome T I've been looking at.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep all my slings communal now, save or course for anything rare and in need for more breeders. Feeding is a joke : dump a few dozens of little crix and watch
the nuclear reaction occur (the crix being the electrons):) It's like this experiment where one throws a ball in a room full of loaded mouse traps!

When you have very large broods, such as LP's, we must remember that not all of them were meant to survive and some are mere lunch for the stronger ones. To allow them to cannibalize, you kind of weed out the crippled ones so the best specimens are most likely to become breeders.

Saves space, gives better genetic at the end. And they are fun to watch!:D