What's the difference between a Grammostola rosea and a Grammostola cala?

Autumnvicky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I bought my Rose hair tarantula they labeled her 'Rose Hair' and never gave me a scientific name. I heard the scientific name is changed now and then. I'd like to get Matika a boyfriend but it'd be easier if I knew the scientific name to look for. I don't want to accidentally get the wrong species.

Which is which? What's the difference between them?

mythicdawn07

Arachnopeon
I'd like to get Matika a boyfriend but it'd be easier if I knew the scientific name to look for. I don't want to accidentally get the wrong species.

post a picture, also are you sure it's a she? (Sometimes they are not what it says on the tin hehe) also if they are not ready to mate the female will eat the male.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All rose hairs are G rosea. A lot of times pet stores will label them cala or other things to make it seem like they are a different, less common species. Very common to see red color form rosea labeled as cala.

My understanding is that there is a real G cala, but you are not going to run across one in the hobby, so you can comfortably just grab a G rosea for your project.

Other synonyms for G rosea: Grammostola gala, Phrixotrichus cala, Grammostola spatulata or combinations of these.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
G. cala is not recognized as a valid species by Platnick

Schmidt synonymized (i really hate that word, can never spell it) them in 1998 with rosea being the senior name

Schmidt also said rosea was the senior synonym of G. spatulata in 1996

i don't know if there is some secret paper in the works or whatever... but according to Platnick (reading Schmidt) both cala and spatulata are not valid species

http://research.amnh.org/entomology/spiders/catalog/THERAPHOSIDAE.html

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
also, the "change" i have seen is for G. porteri, which *is* a valid species

i expect a big reworking (complete with DNA) of the species would be useful, but not gonna happen any time soon

if someone wants to find and buy me the original species descriptions i might be able to tell you more =P

G. porteri was originally described as *Lasiodora* porteri: Mello-Leitão, 1936
G. rosea was originally described as Mygale rosea Walckenaer, 1837

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All rose hairs are G rosea. A lot of times pet stores will label them cala or other things to make it seem like they are a different, less common species. Very common to see red color form rosea labeled as cala.

My understanding is that there is a real G cala, but you are not going to run across one in the hobby, so you can comfortably just grab a G rosea for your project.

Other synonyms for G rosea: Grammostola gala, Phrixotrichus cala, Grammostola spatulata or combinations of these.
He sum it up! Just a way to "sale" mo' Rose Hairs!

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All rose hairs are G rosea. A lot of times pet stores will label them cala or other things to make it seem like they are a different, less common species. Very common to see red color form rosea labeled as cala. ...
And, don't forget to mention the commensurately higher price tag!

... My understanding is that there is a real G cala, but you are not going to run across one in the hobby, so you can comfortably just grab a G rosea for your project.

All of this is true, plus ...

1. You can get a complete listing of all synonyms plus a lot of other information by visiting Dr. Platnick's webpage at http://research.amnh.org/entomology/spiders/catalog/THERAPHOSIDAE.html. Use your web browser's search function to look for Grammostola until you find the genus heading

Gen. Grammostola Simon, 1892 [urn:lsid:amnh.org:spidergen:00224]

Then, scroll down a few screens until you find

mf rosea (Walckenaer, 1837)....................Bolivia, Chile, Argentina [urn:lsid:amnh.org:spidersp:002024]

Under that heading you will find the whole gruesome history of how we haven't been able to make up our minds about what this little treasure should be called!

2. For the last several years some hobbyists (mostly in the European contingent, but there are a few supporters in North America as well) have held the opinion that what we are calling G. rosea in the hobby is really three different species, although any big-name taxonomists who have bothered to look at the issue are remarkably quiet on the matter. However, up til now no one has actually published a real scientific paper that offers any believable data or telling argument to support that contention. Until and unless such a paper is published by someone with some official standing or believable reputation, what you see in Platnick's list stands: They're all G. rosea.

(If and when any of you ever see such a scientific paper, please get back to me ASAP with a full reference listing so I can study it in detail.)

The latest effort to upset the apple cart is a rumor that a lot of what we think are G. rosea in the hobby are really G. porteri based on all sorts of questionable "data." Again, until and unless such a paper is published by someone with some official standing or believable reputation, what you see in Platnick's list stands: They're all G. rosea.

3. Lastly, we started out thinking that there were three color phases of G. rosea. It's beginning to look more like there is actually almost a smooth gradation from a uniform, dull, dark gray through various flavors of pink to a bright red with a coppery carapace. The color seems to be coordinated somewhat with the individual's place of origin. All this is not too surprising since we've seen the same phenomenon in all sorts of other plants and animals. However, this variation in coloring is one of the driving forces behind the "different species" contention, and has been used as an excuse for labeling most, if not all, captive G. rosea as hybrids between any number of species.

All this is complicated beyond redemption by the fact that no one has come up with a bullet proof definition of what a "species" really is, so whether we consider G. rosea to be one, two, or even seven species depends almost exclusively on a very loosey-goosey definition and a lot on somebody's personal opinion. And that, in turn, can be largely defendant on how much money, self esteem, or reputation is at stake.

There's not enough meat in that hamburger. I'm not buying it.

Autumnvicky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Size reference picture, I'll post more pictures of her when I can find my camera. *darts off to find it*

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
er, the point of all the good posts is that we won't actually know what species you have

but, as i said... if someone wants to get me those papers i would be happy to break it down and post it up :)

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is normally considered bad form for a poster on such lists as these to respond to their own postings, but I think I need to anyway. I drawn your attention to the following except:

2. For the last several years some hobbyists (mostly in the European contingent, but there are a few supporters in North America as well) have held the opinion that what we are calling G. rosea in the hobby is really three different species, although any big-name taxonomists who have bothered to look at the issue are remarkably quiet on the matter. ..."
This is not entirely true. Over the last decade and a half or more G. Schmidt has addressed some of the issues associated with the proper placing of this species in the grand scheme of things, and he needs to be mentioned, if not commended, for his efforts.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One of the more reputable importers over here in Britain is absolutely convinced that RCF and NCF G. rosea are two seperate species...NCF= G. porteri and RCF= G. rosea. He claims their habitats are miles apart and the RCFs are less bulky and don't get as large. Apparently NCF has been sold wrongly for the last decade as G. rosea. He claims untill the new paper on the classification of Chilean tarantulas is published, they're labeled NCF and RCF to keep the two species apart :? . Who knows? Guess I'll continue to call mine G. roseas untill this paper appears.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One of the more reputable importers over here in Britain is absolutely convinced that RCF and NCF G. rosea are two seperate species...NCF= G. porteri and RCF= G. rosea. He claims their habitats are miles apart and the RCFs are less bulky and don't get as large. Apparently NCF has been sold wrongly for the last decade as G. rosea. He claims untill the new paper on the classification of Chilean tarantulas is published, they're labeled NCF and RCF to keep the two species apart :? . Who knows? Guess I'll continue to call mine G. roseas untill this paper appears.
If there's a reclassification, this discussion board will be among the first to know. Witness all the people calling Chacos G Pulchripes.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I realize that this comment is very late, but upon reviewing some of my posts I decided it deserves mention.

In the wonderful, wild, weird, wacky world of tarantula taxonomy location and color, by themselves, do not a new species make.

"Show me the beef!"

"There's not enough meat in that hamburger. I'm not buying it."

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What the?! I wouldn't listen to a word that person has to say.

My cat is actually a rare dwarf lion species. I don't have any documentation to prove this because the paper just hasn't been published yet but, when it gets published, you will all see.... :rolleyes:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When I bought my Rose hair tarantula they labeled her 'Rose Hair' and never gave me a scientific name. I heard the scientific name is changed now and then. I'd like to get Matika a boyfriend but it'd be easier if I knew the scientific name to look for. I don't want to accidentally get the wrong species.

MAtika ? seriously? ROTFLOL that cracks me up

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol

at my pet store there is an old tang from... idk the date bat the rose hair is G. cola yes like the soda!!!!

Rhodin

Arachnosquire
Yes this is a necro, and I know someone will give me a hard time about it but instead of creating a new thread about an issue I thought I might just bump this one in search of an answer. Surely over the past 3+ years someone must have decided if the "NCF roseas" are g. porteri or not. I understand the title of the thread is about G.cala which I know to be inaccurate but me and a friend have had a debate and he insists that RCF g.rosea is the true g.rosea and the NCF are G.porteri. Any and all help is appreciated
-Rhodin

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes this is a necro, and I know someone will give me a hard time about it but instead of creating a new thread about an issue I thought I might just bump this one in search of an answer. Surely over the past 3+ years someone must have decided if the "NCF roseas" are g. porteri or not. I understand the title of the thread is about G.cala which I know to be inaccurate but me and a friend have had a debate and he insists that RCF g.rosea is the true g.rosea and the NCF are G.porteri. Any and all help is appreciated
-Rhodin

Short answer: No. Sorry.

Long answer: For the last decade or more I have been telling people that the various color forms of Chilean rose (as commonly understood) were all the same species based on three reports that I had received of people who had had eggsacs hatch. These three people reported that all three color forms (by whatever alphabet soup we labelled them) had come from each eggsac. If this is true, there are only two possibilities to explain the fact:

1) All three color forms are merely variants of Grammostola rosea.

2) The various colored offspring were in fact the results of hybridization (at least generation F2 or greater) between more than one distinct species, either in the wild or in captivity.

One April 1, 2013, Craig McInnes sent me an E-mail asking for more data on this topic. (Strangely, it was April Fools Day!) I attempted to track down those original three enthusiasts. However, one (Dr. Robert Gale Breene III) was deceased. I couldn't locate another, and the third couldn't remember.

Two other enthusiasts who had been blessed with eggsacs reported that only one color had arisen from theirs.

I've posed queries on a couple of forums for more data. But, as usual got no responses.

So, as best I can tell, the jury is still out on that one. And, cacoseraph was correct: We need to wait until someone takes a serious look at the genus as a whole, complete with DNA typing.

Platnick lists at least 20 species of Grammostola scattered over most of South America (the northern tier of coastal countries being about the only exceptions). Because of this, an in-depth treatment of the genus is not likely to be an easy chore, based on the ordeal Brent Hendrixson and his lab is experiencing with the 54 nominal species of Aphonopelma in the USA.

We peons can only sit, hold our breath, and wait for the big time taxonomists to do their thing.

Enjoy your little 8-legged WHAT IS THAT?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhodin

Arachnosquire
Short answer: No. Sorry.

Long answer: For the last decade or more I have been telling people that the various color forms of Chilean rose (as commonly understood) were all the same species based on three reports that I had received of people who had had eggsacs hatch. These three people reported that all three color forms (by whatever alphabet soup we labelled them) had come from each eggsac. If this is true, there are only two possibilities to explain the fact:

1) All three color forms are merely variants of Grammostola rosea.

2) The various colored offspring were in fact the results of hybridization (at least generation F2 or greater) between more than one distinct species, either in the wild or in captivity.

One April 1, 2013, Craig McInnes sent me an E-mail asking for more data on this topic. (Strangely, it was April Fools Day!) I attempted to track down those original three enthusiasts. However, one (Dr. Robert Gale Breene III) was deceased. I couldn't locate another, and the third couldn't remember.

Two other enthusiasts who had been blessed with eggsacs reported that only one color had arisen from theirs.

I've posed queries on a couple of forums for more data. But, as usual got no responses.

So, as best I can tell, the jury is still out on that one. And, cacoseraph was correct: We need to wait until someone takes a serious look at the genus as a whole, complete with DNA typing.

Platnick lists at least 20 species of Grammostola scattered over most of South America (the northern tier of coastal countries being about the only exceptions). Because of this, an in-depth treatment of the genus is not likely to be an easy chore, based on the ordeal Brent Hendrixson and his lab is experiencing with the 54 nominal species of Aphonopelma in the USA.

We peons can only sit, hold our breath, and wait for the big time taxonomists to do their thing.

Enjoy your little 8-legged WHAT IS THAT?
Well thank you very much, I can't say that it was the exact reply I was hoping for but I'm glad you took the time to type it out for me. Hopefully one day we'll be able to sort out every genus and people can have papers for their Ts much like people do for dogs :p

Last edited by a moderator: