odd regalis

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found this regalis for sale. It has seven legs and a funky pattern on the abdomen and no white band on the abdomen. I've never seen it look broken up like this before. Can you tell male or female by the pics?

Last edited:

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
May be some sort of cross species or a product of several generations of inbreeding.

Either way, I wouldn't breed it.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
dude that thing's all messed up. the patterns on the abdomen are what sets it off, and the 7 legs thing doesn't help much either :?

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it missing a leg, or was it born with 7 legs? Is it even regalis?
I know I'll get in trouble for this one, but if it truly is regalis and only missing it's leg, line breeding may show the first (that I know of) proven genetic pattern anomaly in a T. Generations from now we could have banded pokies, or bright red pokies (if say, that one is the het form for a really extreme looking pokie), or so on. I've heard of albinism in millipedes, just imagine an albino pokie! Just imagine the price tag! Or... maybe it's just an inbred freak. :) (I'll stop now before I get lynched!)

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is it missing a leg, or was it born with 7 legs?
I'd say it was born with 8 legs. In the ventral shot you can see there is a coxa for the missing leg. I remember seeing talkenlate post pics of a pokie he has/had that was born with 7 legs, and I'm sure it had one less coxa :) .

Dave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say it was born with 8 legs. In the ventral shot you can see there is a coxa for the missing leg. I remember seeing talkenlate post pics of a pokie he has/had that was born with 7 legs, and I'm sure it had one less coxa :) .
I saw the same thing from the pictures. :)

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ditto..

I thinks it's very interesting looking. I would buy it just to see what comes of the next molt or two..

- Matt
Although I found it interesting from certain point of view, it's not worth the insane price tag of $100. Apparently, they are under the notion that defects increase the value. :rolleyes:

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's technically a conjoined twin, where the conjunction is only pronounced in the abdomen. This is not all that uncommon and sometimes spiders will have two abdomens. If the conjunction is so extensive as to include the carapace the spiders usually dies in molt in very early instars. Without the belly band it could be P. striata - looks male BTW ;-)

Regards
Søren

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would have to agree 100% on it being P. striata, Definitey cool to look at though.

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The banding on legs 3 & 4 says striata to me too. With the folio colouration, and shape of the epigastric region, I'd say male.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think a variant pattern is a passible trait.You know after her next molt
if the leg will regenerate.