I thought P. regalis was suppose to top out around 7"

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My female just molted this weekend and is now at least 8". She is every bit as long as my hand(which is a little over 8"). So how big should I expect her to get.

Thanks,

Art

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They usually get to around 7", but there's still 8" individuals sometimes. You should remember that when tarantulas reach their adult size, they will still grow a bit. It's more noticeable during first few years, after that it's so minimal, it hardly matters.

She won't be getting much bigger than that. If she's indeed 8 inches, she's one of the biggest regalis specimens.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
can you post pix of her?
sounds like a big lady!
"Big" isn't the proper word to describe an 8" regalis. ;) I mean, most of the ornata's won't reach 9". Yes, I'm aware there are 10" individuals too.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A thread like this really needs a pic to accompany it. :) It's not a claim that those who keep this species won't necessarily accept, it just helps us wrap our brains around your excitement. Congrats! :)

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's not all that uncommon really. I recently sold a girl pushing 9"

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not all that uncommon really. I recently sold a girl pushing 9"
I don't suppose you have any pictures left?

Edit: 9 inch regalis IS uncommon, in every meaning of the word... I'm wondering how much some of you guys stretch the molts.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is the picture you requested. I also just noticed that my guaranteed female(confirmed via microscope) is now a MM.

Art

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got him from a friend that is in need of a male, so he will give me an exchange for another one. So no harm no foul, just an honest mistake.

Art

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i hope thats not its cage, he needs way more room then that

sinflspeed

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is a big male though! Males don't neccessarily need more room. I keep all my MM pokies in the same containers and they are fine. My females on the other hand have larger sized setup to give them more room when breeding. Since the male is introduced into the females cage and that is where the magic happens there will need to be more room. It helps incase you need to save him or he needs to make a hasty get away.

He is a nice guy. Wish he wasn't spoken for.....

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i hope thats not its cage, he needs way more room then that
bare minimum enclosures always seem so....small n cramped, even if the spider doesnt "care"
but if its healthy...oh well

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its plenty, they don't really care.
Not entirely true. Try to keep a C. crawshayi like that and see what happens.

IMO that's way too small, even if they "don't care". It shouldn't be too hard to give them atleast some height. I mean come on, he can't even move there!

Neophyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You know, I have a large Regalis in a pretty large enclosure, and she never leaves this one tiny corner of her big cage. I think a lot of people on here need to remember that tarantulas are not people and do not think like us. They don't move if they don't find it necessary and seem usually quite content with staying in their one spot.

Keeping a T in a larger cage is a personal choice.

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will agree with the fact that because he is about 8" that he is a little cramped in there. But before the last molt he was only about 6 1/2" and there was plenty of room in there for him to move around and even to molt. My 6" L. violaceopes does very well in a similar setup. If the regalis was a female, I would be getting it something a little larger.

Art